News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 03:28:40 PM
I probably wouldn't have used an attention-getting opener in person, I would have said something like "It occurs to me that the Atheist community has a lot in common with the White Supremacist community" and then I would have explained why. And I would have explained that while the lack of belief in deity is not alone what I am talking about, but the identification with a group that seems increasingly to be engaging in aggressive us-vs-them posturing and tribalism. That while most atheists may not generate or pass around or chuckle at the commentary and imagery that is derogatory or outright hateful toward people who are not atheist, almost none speak out against it, either, and so it is in most cases tacitly condoned. I would have had a chance to explain, much like I did last night in a group of mostly atheistic friends, why these attitudes have driven me away in repugnance from identifying myself as an Atheist despite the fact that my perspective is, for all practical purposes, atheistic.

So, yeah, my opening line was hyperbole, just exactly as hyperbolic as most of my opening lines have been here over the last seven years. What I wasn't really expecting was for so many people to act like I stabbed their puppy. In retrospect I guess it's not that surprising, and it seems a lot of people did eventually come around to examining why I would make the comparison I made, but evidently it also engendered flat-out hatred in a few people, to a greater degree even than when I called everyone "White" (remember that shitstorm?) or talking about examining our privileges. Atheism, of all these things, was too sacred a cow to tilt at.

And yet, I look around me, and see images like this all over facebook:

OK. One such image isn't really anything more than a chuckle. But a brief tour of Atheist blogs, forums, websites and it's not one image, it's a deluge of images and sentiments like this:

QuoteIf you throw your lot in with the religious, then you've stated that you think we're wrong, and that whatever nice things you say are essentially a load of condescending BS and that you're merely tolerating us. And since that is the case, you're a fucking tool, a coward, unable to think for yourself, running on the same fuck-begotten treadmill of bullshit that billions of other tools just like you run on, bleating your little sheep bleat as you blindly gulp down and swallow whatever jizz-load of bullshit your religious overlords blow in your mouth! So go fuck yourself!

THIS IS MILITANT ATHEISM, PEOPLE! BEING LOUD, ANGRY, AND AGGRESSIVE IS THE ONLY FUCKING THING PEOPLE UNDERSTAND! HISTORY'S SHOWN IT THOUSANDS OF FUCKING TIMES! OUR MODERN AGE CONTINUES TO SHOW IT EVERY FUCKING DAY OF OUR LIVES!

So yeah, next time one of you religious TWITS is whining about how atheists are "shoving nothing in your face," CAN IT, YOU LITTLE PUSSIES. We've been nice all these years, we've gotten nothing in exchange! You're upset that suddenly we're being loud, and we're being assholes?!

(same guy, earlier, claimed that Atheists are the "most hated minority".)

So what I'm talking about is the same ook-ook, us-against-them monkey-assed tribal warfare bullshit that I was under the impression most of us here are trying to shine a light on to encourage better behavior. Common walls?

Take a look if you don't believe me. It's not only out there, but it's a raging current of bullshit and it goes largely unchallenged. And despite what the proponents say, the ones who believe themselves to be the great suffering minority struggling for freedom and equality, their actions are not helping. They are harming. They are increasing a divide that needs to be decreased.

You make an excellent point, and I am going to do my best to speak up when I see stuff like that in the future.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks, Hoopla. I appreciate that. I think it would benefit all of us if we speak up about those kinds of things... but be aware that when you do, you may get beat up on a little, and more or less treated like a race-traitor.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 03:43:49 PM
Thanks, Hoopla. I appreciate that. I think it would benefit all of us if we speak up about those kinds of things... but be aware that when you do, you may get beat up on a little, and more or less treated like a race-traitor.

That's pretty much every conversation for me anyway.  I have a sort of disagreeable face and personality.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 25, 2013, 03:47:17 PM

That's pretty much every conversation for me anyway.  I have a sort of disagreeable face and personality.

Hahahahaha! I certainly hope you're joking, because that is exactly the opposite impression from what I get from you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Or accused of being a theist. The single biggest problem I had with the Atheist community was that when I disagreed with them, they first assumed I wasn't an Atheist, and when informed distrusted me as if I was someone pretending to be an Atheist to I don't know somehow discredit them. So fuck them, now I'll pretend to be a theist for our lady of discord.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Filth and lies, I've seen your youtube videos and you are adorable.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 03:52:32 PM

Or accused of being a theist. The single biggest problem I had with the Atheist community was that when I disagreed with them, they first assumed I wasn't an Atheist, and when informed distrusted me as if I was someone pretending to be an Atheist to I don't know somehow discredit them. So fuck them, now I'll pretend to be a theist for our lady of discord.

Yep. That, completely.

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 04:04:44 PM

:oops:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Kai

Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 04:04:44 PM

He's just as adorable in person. Too bad we didn't get any pictures of him, Remmington, and me when we met up. That was about 4-5 years ago.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Don Coyote

well I think I'm definitely to be going to leave.
since I can't be pissed over someone's shitty tactics without being called fragile, insecure or a fucking sexist.
like how the fuck do you make a defense against that kind of shit.

so the reason I stopped really calling Roger out on being a shithead on the few times it looked like he was being one, evidently it gets forgotten that I did long ago because I give as much shit about him bein old white man as I do to Nigel being a little brown woman, that I did used to do that.  I stopped because I couldn't tell when he was being a braying shit sprayer on purpose or becaue his he'd was full of fucked up shit again. The reason I called Nigel out and got so pissed is precisely becaue I expected more than fucking trollish behavior as she is well aware of how bleeding easy it is troll pd. so excuse me for having some compassion for a man who had a head full shit that may make him act like a shit.

so thanks for bringing sex into the discussion.  I've been sharing this shit storm with my wife, and she just stopped even entertaining the idea of reading this shit from the beginning in case I had in fact overreacted,  which is highly possible becaue I do a volatile temper,  once I shared that wonderful bit about everyone disagreeing with or being outright pissed with nigel being labeled sexist for stepping away once big daddy white man Roger showed up. She got pissed.  my wife who doesn't get anywhere as angry as I do about anything got pissed at you shitnecks for that shitty tactic.

that ypu fucking went there just speaks volumes about who you are and what you think about other people. sure I don't deserve anything becaue I already said vehemently that I no longer value anything said b6 roger or nigel, to which I have to add stella for chiming in along with roger, which isn't surprising,  but there were other people still pissed who hadn't written off you shitheads.

I'm going to try to take  a break form this board, which is usually what I do when some shit head is being a shit head, or during the academic quarter.

I know my opinion doesn't have much weight around here anyways,  and that is going to be labeled attention seeking behavior because my precious feefees got hurt by the mean nigel for nigeling me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 25, 2013, 04:35:39 PM
well I think I'm definitely to be going to leave.

Later.

Yours Truly,
The Cartoon Fucking Villain in Your Head.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

I hope you come  back sooner rather than later, Coyote.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 25, 2013, 04:35:39 PMonce I shared that wonderful bit about everyone disagreeing with or being outright pissed with nigel being labeled sexist for stepping away once big daddy white man Roger showed up.

wut

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 25, 2013, 04:38:25 PM
I hope you come  back sooner rather than later, Coyote.

So do I.  I DO so love being the scapegoat for everyone's fucking tantrums.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 04:41:10 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 25, 2013, 04:35:39 PMonce I shared that wonderful bit about everyone disagreeing with or being outright pissed with nigel being labeled sexist for stepping away once big daddy white man Roger showed up.

wut

Look what we MADE him do!

I've heard this joke before.

"Charley and Khara walk into a bar, and the bartender says 'what can I get you', and they say 'FUCK YOU, WE'RE LEAVING FOREVER.'"