News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

BEST MARTIAL ART EVER

Started by Lies, March 23, 2010, 04:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lies

PRESENTING THE BEST MARTIAL ART EVER: BARTITSU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

As used by the famous Sherlock Holmes and, presumably, young english men in bars whenever tit's become an issue.

As this picture reminds us, never mess with a guy with a big mustache.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Remington on March 23, 2010, 04:49:57 AM
WRONG.

FLAMING SWORDCHUCKS WIELDED NUNCHAKU-STYLE
I thought my flaming nunchaku was awesome... but that is epic.

Those are enormous wicks, but I'm still pretty sure he shouldn't need gloves for them.
I think I need to make some of those with actual blades in them somewhere. For added awesome.

Pics will be posted.

This is pretty fucking sweet.
Think of this, say, in comparison to Eskrima.
If the English during that period had to resist foreign invaders over 200 years...  :cn:
they might be able to touch the Filipino stick art.

don't even bring up knives.
I would never test in the Philippines.

LMNO

Now I have yet another reason to grow the mustache to Epic Levels.

And, to get one of those nifty straw hats.

Elder Iptuous

i have long wanted to learn some form of martial art.  i think one that, at least incorporates some stick/cane fighting would be preferable.
anybody able to weigh in on experience with stick fighting?

LMNO

It's more difficult than it looks, especially the filipino stick fighting.  You bash the fuck out of your fingers until you get the rythms right.

Cane fighting is a bit easier, but you have to make sure it doesn't get in the way.

Elder Iptuous

you don't practice with some kind of hand guards?!

i'm imagining the staff fighting scene in Robin Hood: Men in Tights....

LMNO

I didn't... for the filipino stuff, you really needed the dexterity in your fingers, and any sort of protective gloves would hinder that.

But for the Robin Hood staff stuff, you should probably ask a larper.  Or a Kung Fu dude.

Richter

Some schools teach stick fighting only as rehearsed forms / kata.  Others (Youtube "Dog brothers") do it as a sparring exercise.

IMHO, rehearsed rythms or forms are good practice, but actual at speed sparring, even with light contact, is needed to get a sense for the timing, targeting / placement of blows, and learning how to keep your range. 

You can use sticks decently with hockey gloves on, and they are a good idea if you want to learn, but have desire to use your hands for the rest of your life.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Elder Iptuous

I've seen the Dog Bros. stuff before.  it's impressive.
i'll have to look around and see what we have in the DFW area....

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Jenne

Quote from: Lysergic on March 23, 2010, 04:18:42 AM
PRESENTING THE BEST MARTIAL ART EVER: BARTITSU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

As used by the famous Sherlock Holmes and, presumably, young english men in bars whenever tit's become an issue.

As this picture reminds us, never mess with a guy with a big mustache.

Reminds me of the recent Sherlock Holmes movie.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on March 23, 2010, 02:18:34 PM
I didn't... for the filipino stuff, you really needed the dexterity in your fingers, and any sort of protective gloves would hinder that.

But for the Robin Hood staff stuff, you should probably ask a larper.  Or a Kung Fu dude.

I trained with the bō staff when doing Tae Kwon Do, and we didn't use any gloves or anything either.  Because if you're the sort of sissy who drops your weapon when someone hits it hard, you shouldn't be trying to use one in the first place.