News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Hipsters fucking love the hurdy-gurdy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 18, 2010, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

I had this thought of a giant hurdy-gurdy, with hipsters chained to either a treadmill or a capstan and being forced to eternally walk to power a cathedral sized hurdy-gurdy.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 20, 2010, 05:42:23 PM
It's oddly pleasing to look upon a decade of american "culture" and realize what garbage it is.

America must be destroyed.  :)

Fixed.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: E.O.T. on September 20, 2010, 04:50:09 AM
OH,

you mean like YOU - who just got into STRYPER, WINGER & KYX in the last few years because I turned you onto them?!

ALSO;

-don't mess with the metalheads cuz they're like fucking librarians of guitar and you CANNOT WIN!!

Here's a question for you; in what way am I definitely NOT a hipster? If I was sitting at the Nest and someone looked at me and decided I was a hipster, what would make me not a hipster?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on September 20, 2010, 08:39:03 PM
OH,

you mean like YOU - who just got into STRYPER, WINGER & KYX in the last few years because I turned you onto them?!

ALSO;

-don't mess with the metalheads cuz they're like fucking librarians of guitar and you CANNOT WIN!!

Here's a question for you; in what way am I definitely NOT a hipster? If I was sitting at the Nest and someone looked at me and decided I was a hipster, what would make me not a hipster?

The horrible beating you would deliver.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: E.O.T. on September 20, 2010, 05:16:02 AM

GREAT POINTS,

ech! i did think that i went obviously out of my way to list bands which are by only the furthest stretch of the imagination, metal. or even music. but i think we can rest confidently on the fact that NIGEL, goddess that she is, knows absolutely nothing about metal music.

YES

at the torch, with earthbound matter, she will shame your ass

HOWEVER

the closest her itunes comes to metal music is a duo of emo guys who cover the 'misfits' as if it were 'erasure'. it kinda rules.

This is not technically true, but it's close enough to the truth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 20, 2010, 08:39:03 PM
OH,

ALSO;

The horrible beating you would deliver.

Except that... as hip as it is to hate on hipsters... "Hipster" is pretty much just a term that describes young urban people. It's nothing more than monkeys being monkeys; "THEY are hipsters; WE are better than them".

90% of the people here are indistinguishable from "hipsters" from an outside perspective. Since "Hipsters" are almost ALWAYS defined by an outside perspective, that makes the majority of us "hipsters".

When I was first introduced to this idea about two months ago, it pissed me the fuck off. Why? Because I'm not a fucking hipster... right? I mean... I'm not... really... oh wait. Who defines "hipster"? Who decides who is a hipster? Hipsters don't consider themselves hipsters. Hipsters HATE hipsters and would argue bitterly against being labeled a hipster. So... who decides who is a hipster? Who even knows what a hipster is? Lots of people don't know what a hipster is, and couldn't point out a hipster in a crowd. They don't hate hipsters. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that those people are definitely NOT hipsters.

Also, hurdy-gurdies are fucking awesome. I don't care WHY likes them; they're just fucking rad.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on September 20, 2010, 08:49:56 PM
Except that... as hip as it is to hate on hipsters... "Hipster" is pretty much just a term that describes young urban people. It's nothing more than monkeys being monkeys; "THEY are hipsters; WE are better than them".

I don't buy it.  I define "hipster" as "someone who dresses like Buddy Holly crossed with Bazooka Joe, because all of their friends do, and who insists on using the word "ironic" incorrectly while they guzzle shitty beer."

This fills me with hate.  I don't particularly care if anyone else hates them, nor do I think there is any redeeming qualities to be found...And neither would you, had you been in Providence with us, that horrible night.  I still have the hideous sound of ukeleles running up and down my nerves, and a constant gag reflex from just the memory of the incredible pretentiousness that I was forced to suffer through, like the chick with the Alanys Morrisette voice who felt she could improve on Tom Petty.  For real, it made me long for the John Meyer version, and I think he should be fired from a cannon, FFS.

If I had my way, every one of those bike-riding bastards would be thrown in the river with a sodium poi tied around their neck, while the band played old Bob Seger tunes, just for that Godawful night...and the wicked case of PTSD that it saddled me with.  There really is no excuse for that sort of thing.  This is fucking America, not Montreal.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 08:58:10 PM

I don't buy it.  I define "hipster" as "someone who dresses like Buddy Holly crossed with Bazooka Joe, because all of their friends do, and who insists on using the word "ironic" incorrectly while they guzzle shitty beer."

This fills me with hate.  I don't particularly care if anyone else hates them, nor do I think there is any redeeming qualities to be found...And neither would you, had you been in Providence with us, that horrible night.  I still have the hideous sound of ukeleles running up and down my nerves, and a constant gag reflex from just the memory of the incredible pretentiousness that I was forced to suffer through, like the chick with the Alanys Morrisette voice who felt she could improve on Tom Petty.  For real, it made me long for the John Meyer version, and I think he should be fired from a cannon, FFS.

If I had my way, every one of those bike-riding bastards would be thrown in the river with a sodium poi tied around their neck, while the band played old Bob Seger tunes, just for that Godawful night...and the wicked case of PTSD that it saddled me with.  There really is no excuse for that sort of thing.  This is fucking America, not Montreal.

:lulz:

Don Coyote

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1

This is for the Doktor.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on September 20, 2010, 09:02:52 PM

:lulz:

AND THAT BEING SAID, I AM OFF TO THE SMOKING SHACK, SHOULD ANYONE NEED TO FIND ME FOR MORE LITTLE PILES OF STEAMING WISDOM.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cudgel on September 20, 2010, 09:04:18 PM

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1

This is for the Doktor.

What does that have to do with anything?  We're talking about Hipsters and my hatred for them, not jacking off in front of the family dog.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I don't think that "hipsters" have a unique character that makes them particularly hateworthy. I think any youth subculture causes people outside of it to go "FUCKING KIDS THESE DAYS"

This entire thread could have been about flappers, greasers, early rockers, punks, emos, grunge kids, hippies, or metalheads and it wouldn't be substantially different.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on September 20, 2010, 09:08:24 PM
I don't think that "hipsters" have a unique character that makes them particularly hateworthy. I think any youth subculture causes people outside of it to go "FUCKING KIDS THESE DAYS"

This entire thread could have been about flappers, greasers, early rockers, punks, emos, grunge kids, hippies, or metalheads and it wouldn't be substantially different.

Oh, yeah?  Tell Suu and Richter to take you to "that bar" on open mic night.

I dare you.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

But then again, what do I know?

I can just come here and have people tell me what I'm really thinking.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 20, 2010, 09:08:24 PM

YES