News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Best Of PD

Started by Cramulus, November 24, 2009, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

The idea, as it develops, is to build a better Discordian Society.

There are hundreds of pages of great content here at PD. There is enough knowledge here to jump start any newcomer Discordian into a full on double-Illuminati OMF Operative. There is energy which can electrify someone into new, radical kinds of action. This place is proof that a Discordian Society is a bit more tangible than some scrawlings in the margins of a 1959 funnybook. We have posters, pranks, activities, new ideas, old ideas with new paint, rants, sermons, parables, and a cracked out sense of humor you can only find in mental wards.

But one day, it's not gonna be here. One day, you and I are going to flounce from this community, leaving our legacies smoking behind us.

So we have to operationalize this knowledge. We have to distill and crystallize PD. We have to make an entry point, where the uninitiated can get all crazy hard for Eris and her children.

Where are you going with this, Cramulus?

In this thread, we will be posting our personal "best of" contributions to PD.

I want you to dig up the great stuff you've created and given to this community, and link to it here.

You can also nominate other people's work. If you've read a really great rant which made you stand up out of your chair and go RAH, please link to it here.

Eventually, we'll be taking these items and cross-posting them to a wiki, blog, putting then on flyers, or otherwise distributing them.

For this reason, it's best to link to individual posts. It's very difficult to crystallize an entire thread into an article. It can be done, but we haven't figured out how best to do it. (If you'd like, feel free to try your hand at this process, the more attempts we make, the better we'll get.)

The Good Reverend Roger

All of my old stuff from here is at POEE, except sermon #10, which Hugh deleted before I had a place to back it up because, well, he could.

Any of that, plus anything here, is available for use, under the normal attribution rules.

If you want me to dig up my personal favorites and link them, I will, though I hate to pick from my own work.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine%27s_laws

I think that belongs in any collection of Discordianism.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 24, 2009, 04:53:30 PM
All of my old stuff from here is at POEE, except sermon #10, which Hugh deleted before I had a place to back it up because, well, he could.

Any of that, plus anything here, is available for use, under the normal attribution rules.

If you want me to dig up my personal favorites and link them, I will, though I hate to pick from my own work.

it's going to be a lot of work to compile this stuff... This function of this thread is to make it very easy to find these pieces and port them elsewhere. So it would be more useful if you could nominate a few of your pieces. Whoever eventually does the cross posting will probably be too lazy to search around the Internet and read a bunch of literature looking for the "best-of".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 24, 2009, 05:06:21 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 24, 2009, 04:53:30 PM

it's going to be a lot of work to compile this stuff... This function of this thread is to make it very easy to find these pieces and port them elsewhere. So it would be more useful if you could nominate a few of your pieces. Whoever eventually does the cross posting will probably be too lazy to search around the Internet and read a bunch of literature looking for the "best-of".

Gotcha.  I'll get on it this Friday morning (I will be at a computer that doesn't have websense spagging it up).

The Good Reverend Roger

Cram, check your PMs, please.

Not trying to be a pushy bastard, but I may have to log off without warning.

Let me know what you think.

The Johnny

This is what i have:

August 16, 2009
Notions of the "subject" throughout history (fragment)
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=21903.0

September 18, 2009
Dysgenics: Our Future.
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22235.0

October 06, 2009
TV and the Idea of Beauty
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22444.0

October 19, 2009
Emo: Symptom of our Decay
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22604.0

I just want attribution and ideally notice me if its gonna be put somewhere.

Idk, i wish i had a bigger list of essays, i love to write, but i rarely get around to deciding about what.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Cain has a fuckload of good stuff, but ive only read the stuff hes posted since i got here, i guess theres a lot of things hes made before that.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cainad (dec.)

All of my stuff sucks and no one should ever read it, but I'ma post it here anyway for the purpose of reducing the overall quality of the project and hopefully scaring away these hypothetical future New Discordians:

From the TFYS,S! forum:

Mandelthought
Discordians Anonymous
Sometimes, I can't help but wonder...
Cainad's Discordia (needs a new title)
BIP in unrhymed verse (includes some interesting posts by others in that thread, also)

From the OKM forum:

The Worms and Their Little Blue Pills
Missing: One Child Prophet and a Wise Tiger
Get Out!
Concerning the Immediate Future
The Iconoclast's Manifesto
It Was Me. I Did It.

Cain

Cainad, you should use your blog to store these, too.

It's a good independent back-up, and might make them easier to find, if you need them quickly.

Cainad (dec.)

Hm, good call. Will get that later today.

Cramulus

Now that 23ae is up and running again, I've been cross-posting material from my post, above.

I'm scheduled to post 1-2 articles per week, and I've got everything already filled in until early Feb 2010.  :mrgreen:

I encourage people to do the same. But first, make a "BEST OF" post ITT and link to a bunch of stuff you like.

Telarus

I remember getting a lot of good feedback on this Lo5 blurb: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=19395.msg647244#msg647244

I can throw it up on 23ae.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

When we were birthing the BIP concept, I remember taking long threads, and condensing the ideas into a page or two, or at least trimming out the thread drifts and asides.  I can't seem to easily find them now, however.

I might have them as Word files, in which case I will repost.