OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 09:22:24 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 06, 2015, 08:57:47 PM
The Joss Whedon thing included death threats and such.
A bit much for a form of entertainment.
This raging at artists whenever a character is not 100% Politically Correct is strange, how much fun would stories be if every character is required to be PC?
I hope this shit isn't going to be the death of anti-heroes and nuanced character development.
Fuck, I wonder how these people would respond to Deadpool?

Oh, have you not seen how this crowd reacts when you describe their actions as PC?  :lulz:

It's a group that consists primarily of ignorant, self-absorbed, sheltered, entitled brats who use their echo chamber to pretend to be victims while using it as an excuse to bully people for made-up reasons. That way they can feel powerful and relevant without actually having to leave the house or get a job.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Its also fairly amazing how much they obsess over comics/movies based on comics and Disney in comparison with say, actual politics. 

Faust

Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2015, 10:32:08 PM
Its also fairly amazing how much they obsess over comics/movies based on comics and Disney in comparison with say, actual politics.

Please, you cant compare them. One is a barely believable distraction filled with exaggerated caricatures that have been trotting out the same clichéd tropes since time immemorial, and then there's comic books.

I confess (not really much of a confession) I obsess over films and comic books and am largely ignorant of politics but I'm glad when I look at the rage against Weadon that I don't feel a sense of selfish entitled indignation when a creator makes a character do something that falls outside of my simplified tunnel vision of how things should be.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 09:20:27 PM

SPOILERS AHEAD, fair warning....

The most hate I see seems to stem from Natasha referring to herself as a monster because of the way she was turned into an assassin early in life, at some sort of hardcore ballet school.  Part of the assassin program was sterilization, and for some reason when the character refers to herself as a monster (meaning fellow monster, including Hulk), they read that as because she was sterilized, and not, you know, because she became an unstoppable killing machine, which is sort of, you know, fucking horrific.  They also seem very butthurt that Hulk sort of "saves" Black Widow toward the end of the movie, because that's part of his job.  You know, like he saved Iron Man at the end of the first movie, and nobody cared about that.  Teammates shouldn't help other teammates, folks! 

There might also be some butthurt over Scarlet Witch becoming temporarily grief stricken when her brother gets killed in the heat of battle (I told you there were spoilers, fool!) and turns into a bit of a loose cannon.  But they very clearly establish how close these two are (were).  I mean, really well establish.

The left wing Tea Party (as Patton Oswalt dubbed them recently) is psychotic.

[SPOILERS INTENSIFY]
They misread her as calling herself a monster because she has been sterilised, its not, but even if it was, that would interesting story telling, its not exactly a stretch to say the character is to be further developed.

Taking her out of the last fight just as the action starts is mean if it was going to be the more high profile, almost exclusively male team taking the glory. But then its quickly followed by all the human characters leaving, then onto the super powered characters like captain America. Towards the end of the fight there's only two or three people on it.

The whole sequence was a very deliberate and calculated inversion of what we saw in Man of Steel which was nice in that it was showing they were placing saving human life even above defeating the villain.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I think it is a fair criticism to say that the scene was written in a way that made it very possible to interpret the wrong way. I might even go so far as to say it's fair to criticize her [SPOILERS] wanting to run away from all this and start over [/SPOILERS] as being weirdly out of character based on other things she's said and done.

The fine art of polite differences of opinion is completely lost on these fucktards, though.

Faust

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 06, 2015, 11:21:01 PM
I think it is a fair criticism to say that the scene was written in a way that made it very possible to interpret the wrong way. I might even go so far as to say it's fair to criticize her [SPOILERS] wanting to run away from all this and start over [/SPOILERS] as being weirdly out of character based on other things she's said and done.

The fine art of polite differences of opinion is completely lost on these fucktards, though.
[its all spoilers at this point]
hrm good point on her suggesting to leave, I wonder if it was to reinforce the surprise when the hulk leaves without her. She is presented as a killer and we see flashbacks to undermine her role as a hero, looking to run away but then at the end of the film she is one of the only two remaining original avengers. It makes me feel like it was partly set up for her own film (if that ever sees the light of day).

hooplala

I dunno, she mentioned having red in her ledger in the first Avengers, and seemed genuinely kind of bummed about it.  Doesn't seem like a stretch to have her questioning leaving that life behind in the second installment.  Though the scenes with Bruce Banner did seem to pop up out of nowhere.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 11:34:53 PM

I dunno, she mentioned having red in her ledger in the first Avengers, and seemed genuinely kind of bummed about it.  Doesn't seem like a stretch to have her questioning leaving that life behind in the second installment.  Though the scenes with Bruce Banner did seem to pop up out of nowhere.

They had a similar scene in the comics a few years back. The hulk had killed a load of people in a rampage in Las Vegas,
he says something like "I've just killed 23 innocent people how does someone come back from that" and she looks really upset, when he asks why she says something like "I've killed 40 innocent people, does that mean I can't  come back from that?"

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Speaking of which, did you guys hear about the 9 year old who wrote a scathing review of the movie for Esquire, which made the adult geek boys froth at the mouth?  It's sort of chuckalicious.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 11:40:19 PM
It's for the kiddies!

I know I know, but they probably its a similar consoling that they use.

That said, I would love to see a R Rated Black Widow film, they were able to do it for Daredevil and he'll probably crop up at some point in one of the others films.

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 11:42:53 PM
Speaking of which, did you guys hear about the 9 year old who wrote a scathing review of the movie for Esquire, which made the adult geek boys froth at the mouth?  It's sort of chuckalicious.

Hehe, my little brother said a lot of the same, he didn't like Guardians or the avengers because the Jokes were too cheesy, which makes me wonder if they are truly aimed at children or thirty something year old manchildren like me in the throws of arrested development.

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on May 06, 2015, 11:48:28 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2015, 11:42:53 PM

Hehe, my little brother said a lot of the same, he didn't like Guardians or the avengers because the Jokes were too cheesy, which makes me wonder if they are truly aimed at children or thirty something year old manchildren like me in the throws of arrested development.

I'm sure they are trying to attract as many ticket buyers as possible.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 06, 2015, 08:28:22 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2015, 08:27:40 PM
I will respond to the shameless slander against myself tomorrow, as I'm currently engaged in essay hell.

No rush.  I still have to do Demo Squid, Faust, ECH, and Queen Gogira.

Ahem