News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Illiterate clown elected to Congress

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 05, 2010, 07:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sano

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 20, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Sano on September 20, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
Just read this today. Yeah, Tiririca is apparently doing a good job. He says he's under a lot of pressure because if something goes wrong, the media will jump at him and say something like, "look, the clown is ruining politics" and stuff.

Also, for those who don't know, we have a nice tradition of putting celebrities in positions of power, and they usually do their job very well, weird as it sounds. Once we elected a famous stylist and hairdresser, Clodovil Hernandes, just because people thought his gayish pose was funny (he is dead now, incidently. Had millions of dollars, a very very VERY nice mansion, and apparently had hired a personal pianist). More recently we also elected a retired soccer player called Romário, and from the many interviews he's done I can say he is a good politician, having denounced some corruption schemes involving the Pan-American games in 2007 and the world cup and the olympics.

Quote from: VERBL on September 20, 2012, 09:19:32 AM
I think I got that - so it could be translated "I'm not just being a politician – I'm a political person." Right?

Interesting stuff, anyway!

Actually is the other way around - he doesn't identify with being a political person, he's just doing politics at the moment.

Is their effectiveness as political figures perhaps tied to the fact that they had sufficient (unrelated) wealth and influence prior to running for office that they are less concerned about satisfying the interests that often influence politicians with their financial support?

I think it's the opposite of that - except Clodovil, they were very poor at some point in life, which means they actually feel empathy for the poor and are inclined to ameliorate their situation. Thus Tiririca is working in the interest of clowns who can't even put their kids in school, for example.

Oh, I forgot to mention - we also elected a brazillian funk singer to congress or parliament, I think. Brazillian funk being - well, imagine a whole genre of music with lyrics as unimaginative as that Nicki Minaj song. Her nickname is "Mulher Melancia" - Watermelon Woman, so named due to the shape of her ass.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sano on September 20, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 20, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Sano on September 20, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
Just read this today. Yeah, Tiririca is apparently doing a good job. He says he's under a lot of pressure because if something goes wrong, the media will jump at him and say something like, "look, the clown is ruining politics" and stuff.

Also, for those who don't know, we have a nice tradition of putting celebrities in positions of power, and they usually do their job very well, weird as it sounds. Once we elected a famous stylist and hairdresser, Clodovil Hernandes, just because people thought his gayish pose was funny (he is dead now, incidently. Had millions of dollars, a very very VERY nice mansion, and apparently had hired a personal pianist). More recently we also elected a retired soccer player called Romário, and from the many interviews he's done I can say he is a good politician, having denounced some corruption schemes involving the Pan-American games in 2007 and the world cup and the olympics.

Quote from: VERBL on September 20, 2012, 09:19:32 AM
I think I got that - so it could be translated "I'm not just being a politician – I'm a political person." Right?

Interesting stuff, anyway!

Actually is the other way around - he doesn't identify with being a political person, he's just doing politics at the moment.

Is their effectiveness as political figures perhaps tied to the fact that they had sufficient (unrelated) wealth and influence prior to running for office that they are less concerned about satisfying the interests that often influence politicians with their financial support?

I think it's the opposite of that - except Clodovil, they were very poor at some point in life, which means they actually feel empathy for the poor and are inclined to ameliorate their situation. Thus Tiririca is working in the interest of clowns who can't even put their kids in school, for example.

Oh, I forgot to mention - we also elected a brazillian funk singer to congress or parliament, I think. Brazillian funk being - well, imagine a whole genre of music with lyrics as unimaginative as that Nicki Minaj song. Her nickname is "Mulher Melancia" - Watermelon Woman, so named due to the shape of her ass.

Nice!

It didn't even occur to me that poor or formerly poor people could get elected, because that doesn't happen in the US.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Sano on September 20, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
Her nickname is "Mulher Melancia" - Watermelon Woman, so named due to the shape of her ass.

:googles:

:peedee:

Elder Iptuous

:also googles:
:aaa:

we need more of that in our governing body, stat!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like two things about that:

1. that Brazil is able to appreciate a nice ass when it sees one

2. that the fact this woman is seen as a sex symbol is not blocking her from the political arena. Hopefully, it will also not define her political career... though it seems that Brazil is very different from the US in that respect, so it probably won't be a problem at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sano

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 20, 2012, 08:14:20 PM

2. that the fact this woman is seen as a sex symbol is not blocking her from the political arena. Hopefully, it will also not define her political career... though it seems that Brazil is very different from the US in that respect, so it probably won't be a problem at all.

The thing is, unfortunately, as far as I know she's a terrible bigot. One thing is having been poor for some time, which makes you, you know, a bit more human and understanding of other people's feelings. Another completely different thing is being born in a pseudo-middle-class where every song is disturbingly disrespectful to women and then buying into that AND buying into the culture of "I wanna be rich so I can shit on everyone else's heads", and then actually becoming rich. AND THEN becoming so absurdly famous that thousands of people actually want to imitate you.  :horrormirth:
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Sano on September 21, 2012, 01:31:41 AM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 20, 2012, 08:14:20 PM

The thing is, unfortunately, as far as I know she's a terrible bigot. One thing is having been poor for some time, which makes you, you know, a bit more human and understanding of other people's feelings. Another completely different thing is being born in a pseudo-middle-class where every song is disturbingly disrespectful to women and then buying into that AND buying into the culture of "I wanna be rich so I can shit on everyone else's heads", and then actually becoming rich. AND THEN becoming so absurdly famous that thousands of people actually want to imitate you.  :horrormirth:

That's actually distressingly common. Poor people who become rich later in their lives often have this weird resentment towards the rest of humanity. It's like she thinks the rest of the world deserves to suffer for letting such a nice, hard working person like her grow up poor.
See also: Margareth Thatcher

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ahhhhhh! That seems like a huge problem! :(

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on September 21, 2012, 02:32:47 AM

That's actually distressingly common. Poor people who become rich later in their lives often have this weird resentment towards the rest of humanity. It's like she thinks the rest of the world deserves to suffer for letting such a nice, hard working person like her grow up poor.

:lol:  See at least one person here for the same effect, too.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 21, 2012, 08:17:11 AM

Don't be hatin' my diamond grill.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 🐳🐙🐳🐙 on October 04, 2012, 01:44:51 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 21, 2012, 08:17:11 AM

Don't be hatin' my diamond grill.

:lol: Is it helpful that I have no idea who you are, or if I know you?

You could be some guy who's been gone for five years and just came back, for all I know. It's been going around.

Juana

Whale-octopus-whale-octopus is Dingo, I believe.

Didn't DP come around again a couple weeks ago? :lulz: And then promptly disappeared again?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 04, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
Whale-octopus-whale-octopus is Dingo, I believe.

Didn't DP come around again a couple weeks ago? :lulz: And then promptly disappeared again?

I believe so. In fact, if I recall, he was only here long enough to make an ass of himself.