News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Spoiling your sci-fi with facts and or obvious problem solvers.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 30, 2012, 03:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 19, 2012, 02:22:41 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT'S REMINGTON!!!!

HOW'S IT GOING DUDE?
Not bad. I'm being all adult and working and stuff.
Is it plugged in?

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: v3x on July 19, 2012, 12:04:22 AM
Also annoying about BTTF: If I travel through a wormhole connecting the same point in space at two different time coordinates, wouldn't I just pop out into the blackness of interstellar space, since Earth is not actually at the same coordinates now that it was in 1985?

Saying "the same point in space, but a different point in time" isn't really meaningful without specifying a frame of reference. The wormhole would connect one point in space-time to another point in space-time; spending on the reference frame and coordinate system, those two points could be observed to be at the same location or even at the same time.  If you define your space coordinate system to something like latitude and longitude so that it the same coordinates in it map to the same spot on the surface of the earth regardless of what day of the year it is, then it's perfectly reasonable to "go to the same place, only in 1985" and show up in atmo like you'd expect. Mind you, that's not an inertial reference frame, so either conservation of momentum gets borked or you get smeared across the landscape.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Nephew Twiddleton

Im still going to go with a trip forward or backward thirty years is the equivalent of a one way trip to the scattered disk.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS