News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Innapropriate Topic Title

Started by Dimocritus, January 18, 2010, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

I didn't want to post anything about this until it was given a definite green-light, but considering, if this is going down, it will be happening very shortly, I figured I'd start it up just in case...

So, I've been flyering the ever-loving fuck out of my campus. One method I've been using is stealing a stack of school newspapers, seeding them with flyers and then returning them to the rack. This, unsurprisingly, caught the attention of the newspaper's lead editor. I heard through the grape-vine that they wanted to do a story on Discordia. At this point, I put aside the anonymity that I had relied on and approached the lead editor. Long story short, he's a sympathiser, so I made my demands. He caved so quickly, that I made more.
This is what I earned in the end:

They are going to print my propaganda in every issue, which beats the hell out of the aforementioned methods. They are also giving us a full page for straigt-up Discordian type articles. To top it off, they are also giving us some of their valuable ad space, which is their only means of generating revenue, so the fact that they are just giving it up is awesome.

This is where I'd like some of you guys to step in. As far as the full page goes, I would like to have some writings from people that post here, new stuff or anything you may have kicking around. I would like to have every peice that's contributed take the form of a letter, so if anyone who reads them actually traces it back here, they'll see the names and be all like "OMG, (contributor) does exist!" Furthermore, I would like whatever letters that appear in the paper to correspond with whatever propaganda we're running that month. For instance, if we print something like this for propaganda, the article in that issue should be something about people willingly giving up their rights or anything along those lines.

Now, the really cool part. Ad space. I feel this should be used for things like scheduling simultanious Pagan Workshops and Christian Prayer Meetings and similar spaggotry (I would also like to use things like Nigel's "Lost Moustache" and FP's "Think You Might Need Help?" posters, that is, if they don't mind).

Okay, you've got the long, now here's the short of it. I have some propaganda like this, this, this and the one listed above, all of which I may use. What I would like from any one willing to lend a hand is: writings/rants relevant to the printed propaganda. If these are not in the form of a letter, I will add an official looking letter-head and reformat it to appear more like a letter. I would also like some more/better ideas for things to do with the ad space, I feel this is where we'll get the best WTF moments (I have this, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to use). Also, if anyone has some good propaganda, that would be cool, too. And, as always any suggestions or advice on content/implementation are always welcomed.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cainad (dec.)

This is fucking glorious. I need to step up activities at my school and hope the newspaper itself becomes a reality, or else grab the attention of editors at the neighboring campus.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, this is great! Feel free to use anything of mine except for my poems and children's stories.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Deadlines for current propaganda topic themes ?????
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Captain Utopia

Nice work Dimo!  Feel free to use/reuse and mish-mash anything of mine with or without attribution.  Let me know if you'd like anything reworked -- I tend to just carelessly throw shit together, but I still have all the source files so I can tweak elements or modify for the dimensions you need.

Brotep

That's awesome.

Maybe I can throw something together.

Dimocritus

Quote from: FP on January 19, 2010, 12:51:39 AM
Nice work Dimo!  Feel free to use/reuse and mish-mash anything of mine with or without attribution.  Let me know if you'd like anything reworked -- I tend to just carelessly throw shit together, but I still have all the source files so I can tweak elements or modify for the dimensions you need.

Thanks, and now that you mention it, would you mind reworking the "need help" so that it only has one Pope card instead of the tabs? If it's in the paper (as opposed to on a flyer) it doesn't really need more than one. I mean, it's not super important, but if you can find the time.

Quote from: JohNyx on January 18, 2010, 10:29:32 PM

Deadlines for current propaganda topic themes ?????

These guys are always behind schedule, so any deadline I could give now would be pretty arbitrary. He's supposed to be sending me the spring schedule soon, so I can post it as soon as I get it. In the mean-time, there's no reason to give it an ASAP deadline. Doing it that way we end up with more material than we could use, which I feel is a better place to be in than not having enough.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 18, 2010, 10:03:19 PM
Wow, this is great! Feel free to use anything of mine except for my poems and children's stories.

Thankee!  :wink:

And also, as it is now, nothing is set in stone, so if anyone thinks of anything relevant that doesn't necesarily meet the "parameters" of the OP, feel free to share. This can be pretty flexible.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: dimo on January 19, 2010, 03:39:17 AM
Quote from: FP on January 19, 2010, 12:51:39 AM

Thanks, and now that you mention it, would you mind reworking the "need help" so that it only has one Pope card instead of the tabs? If it's in the paper (as opposed to on a flyer) it doesn't really need more than one. I mean, it's not super important, but if you can find the time.

Oh wait, I think you have me confused with someone else -- I didn't make "need help".
:cry:

Dimocritus

Quote from: FP on January 19, 2010, 04:11:40 AM

Oh wait, I think you have me confused with someone else -- I didn't make "need help".
:cry:

Here. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page. That's not you?

Captain Utopia

Oh holy fuck balls, I need to stop smoking.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: FP on January 19, 2010, 05:31:15 AM

It's awesome when people remind you of stuff you made that you don't even remember, IMO.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Cainad on January 19, 2010, 05:32:19 AM
Quote from: FP on January 19, 2010, 05:31:15 AM

It's awesome when people remind you of stuff you made that you don't even remember, IMO.
I totally agree - it's just a little ironic that the one thing I made that somebody likes enough to use, I completely forgot about  :lulz:

Quote from: dimo on January 19, 2010, 03:39:17 AM
Ignore the fact that it looks like granny tits on scribd's browser viewer, the downloadable pdf version is fine.  Thanks to 000 for the font tip!  I couldn't see a way to put in a pope card and keep the logo, so I just put in a "Collect your official Pope card today! principiadiscordia.com" in the tiny text.

And the logo you liked, again in pdf.

Use however you want.  Give me a shout (pm/email) if you need it resized or at a different DPI - I picked 300.  Or if you'd like any changes made.

Dimocritus

Thanks, FP. Any one else have anything? I haven't got the schedule yet, but I know it's getting down to the wire for the first issue.

The Johnny

dimo, im writing a little essay that speaks of one of the origins of our current society of fear/paranoia (based on a fragment of Francoise Dolto i recently read), since thats a common theme i get from your posters.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner