News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

On the recurrence of discussions

Started by The Johnny, June 09, 2012, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Yes, the great Drug Storm of 2012... I recall it to this day...

it all started out as a discussion of what are the best materials and shapes to make a bong in 4/20.... somebody said -not that we can now recall who it was now- "Dude, you should lay off the reefer, that shit's bad for yuo" and someone else replied "But pot is good man, its all mother nature's gift to us, its healthy" and another said "Yeah it should be legalized, like fo reals bro"

Oh, how mistaken we were, thinking there could be civil and useful discussions on the internetz...

Days, weeks, months flew by, a dozen threads, 6000 posts, 50 members ditching the place...

Yes, yes, i still recall it to this day...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 15, 2012, 09:25:21 PM
In all fairness, I just went back and looked at the conversation, Stella.  "YOU'RE NOT AN ADMIN THERE" wasn't actually said in those words or in all caps.  But it was said all the same.

Yep. The connotation.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 15, 2012, 09:39:52 PM
what forum would actually allow a blow up to occur without censoring it and that isn't already a big turd pile?

None that I'd be interested in.   :lulz:

I see this as being almost like street theater.  A dozen jackasses suddenly appear in a forum, arguing with each other, instead of the regulars.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

We should have someone agree with rwhn but only because stoners are lame and (insert hard drug here) is the only one worth doing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

I'll shift into full-blown enforcement junkie.  Lock up adults, lock up kids, clean the streets!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

I like the idea of it as performance art. Perhaps when we get to the 50 page mark we can post "this production has been brought to you by discordian improv theatre." it might make for an interesting recruitment as well as show them to never start a drug thread.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 09:57:30 PM
We should have someone agree with rwhn but only because stoners are lame and (insert hard drug here) is the only one worth doing.

I used to live in a building where the junkies were always bitching about the tweakers because the tweakers were up all night, and the alkies bitched about the junkies and crackheads.  :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Hey i used to bitch about the lottery/scratch card addicts because they were taking to fucking long and i need to by my pack of motherfucking goddamn cigarettes right now and ill fucking kill you roll you up and smoke you and... Next please. Uh hi ill have a pack of newport.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 11:34:41 PM
Hey i used to bitch about the lottery/scratch card addicts because they were taking to fucking long and i need to by my pack of motherfucking goddamn cigarettes right now and ill fucking kill you roll you up and smoke you and... Next please. Uh hi ill have a pack of newport.

Bitching about lottery addicts is LEGITIMATE, though.

Woman: And I'll have 3 Powerballs for tonight's drawing and three for tomorrow's, and, a uh, Texas Twostep...four of those for today and three for tomorrow...no, I said three for today and four for tomorrow, oh, nevermind I'll take them all....Give me a six Mega Millions and some scratch offs...no, not Find the 9's, let me get a four Bingos and three Magnificen 7's and seven Diamond Dollars...and ten of those yellow ones, are those new? Oh, and I need some pick threes, no, don't let the machine pick, I want to play 31 and, uh...

Child: Mom?

Woman: WHAT?

Child: Can I get some gum?

Woman: NO!!!!! WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!!!!! Oh, and 27, and, uhhh...

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 16, 2012, 01:37:25 AM

Woman: And I'll have 3 Powerballs for tonight's drawing and three for tomorrow's, and, a uh, Texas Twostep...four of those for today and three for tomorrow...no, I said three for today and four for tomorrow, oh, nevermind I'll take them all....Give me a six Mega Millions and some scratch offs...no, not Find the 9's, let me get a four Bingos and three Magnificen 7's and seven Diamond Dollars...and ten of those yellow ones, are those new? Oh, and I need some pick threes, no, don't let the machine pick, I want to play 31 and, uh...

While that is a fair and accurate assessment, the fact that I was behind them nic fitting makes it humorous and slightly hypocritical.

I mentioned it to Richter a couple of weeks ago actually, like, "Hey I have a real addiction! Fuck off!" and he mentioned that they were addicted to the neurochemicals that are released in the process of gambling.

Nephew Twiddleton

Gambling addiction is the most retarded addiction though, I will say.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 16, 2012, 01:41:49 AM

It takes a minute to buy cigarettes.

It takes twenty minutes to buy a buttload of lottery tickets.

Therefore, THEY'RE WORSE.  :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 16, 2012, 01:44:43 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 16, 2012, 01:41:49 AM

It takes a minute to buy cigarettes.

It takes twenty minutes to buy a buttload of lottery tickets.

Therefore, THEY'RE WORSE.  :lol:

Excellent point. And often they scratch them right there and use their winnings to buy the next scratchy.

I remember hating them when I was a stock boy at the liquor store too.

Them and Cal.

Cal would, over the course of a day, buy a six pack of Heineken (which is shite beer anyway), but he wouldn't buy the six pack in a go.

No. He would buy 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 1 at night.

This process invariably broke up 3 six-packs. Fucker would never go to the singles door. Our nickname for him was Alien Ant Farm.

AFK

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 16, 2012, 01:40:09 AM

While that is a fair and accurate assessment, the fact that I was behind them nic fitting makes it humorous and slightly hypocritical.

I mentioned it to Richter a couple of weeks ago actually, like, "Hey I have a real addiction! Fuck off!" and he mentioned that they were addicted to the neurochemicals that are released in the process of gambling.

Yeah, pretty much, and with someone who really has it bad it can mimic the effects some drugs have on people.  One of my former jobs was coordinating a hotline and network for problem gamblers.  Oh, the stories I heard.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 16, 2012, 02:38:48 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 16, 2012, 01:40:09 AM

Yeah, pretty much, and with someone who really has it bad it can mimic the effects some drugs have on people.  One of my former jobs was coordinating a hotline and network for problem gamblers.  Oh, the stories I heard.

Gambling is fun for everyone from time to time. Hell, I'm rather fond of roullette. I've played Keno maybe 3 or 4 times, and that's been more of a why the hell not. Or the rare times I play Mass Millions because the jack pot is like, 596,493,000. Why not? And that would be pretty awesome, no? But I don't feel a compulsion to go and buy scratch tickets or play Keno. Doing that sort of thing regularly, frequently, points to some sort of addiction.

The main difference is though, I was tempted to tear their heads off to get my smokes. They were blissfully unaware of how badly their deaths were fantasized about.  :lulz: