News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

An extract I'd like to discuss

Started by Cain, June 21, 2012, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Are Western Buddhists going around pushing a 'discovery of one's true Self'? It doesn't look like anything I've seen on the subject. Capital S "Self" looks more like Wayne Dyer or wicca.  :lol:

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Placid Dingo

I think it's not so much about Western Buddhists but the popular conceptions of Zen in the West (a la anything with the word 'Zen' in it at the self help section of your local book shop).

The bit about Shrek was great; it's a good cautionary tale for people trying to subvert concepts; aesthetically subverting things in a clever way does not equate to changing the concept.

I see links with Dolores's work on Chaos Marxism, which asserts that as an individual cannot build a culture by oneself, one should join a larger organism (in the sense of this article 'submitting' oneself to the abandonment of the self) and let oneself be used to build change as part of a larger structure.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood anything.

Also, Post-Marxist is my new word for the day.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 26, 2012, 01:57:35 PM
I think it's not so much about Western Buddhists but the popular conceptions of Zen in the West (a la anything with the word 'Zen' in it at the self help section of your local book shop).

:x :horrormirth: :x :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 26, 2012, 01:57:35 PM
The bit about Shrek was great; it's a good cautionary tale for people trying to subvert concepts; aesthetically subverting things in a clever way does not equate to changing the concept.

That was certainly a segment that made me stop and think, but I'm not sure that he's actually correct. I think there's a point of so many subverted tropes (and I've hit his personally) where seeing the original form makes the viewer step back and say, "Wait, that's it? She just waits to be rescued, and then she gets rescued?"

He seems to be saying that rather than updating old narratives, <target audience> should be constructing entirely new narratives - which I don't think works from a purely human nature standpoint; we reject or ignore new stories and ideas that can't explain themselves in terms of old ones.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

I feel the need to comment on this, but it's really late and I'm on a phone. I'll try to remind myself tomorrow.