News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Cain

Started by Doktor Howl, April 21, 2015, 10:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

If you have any time for fiction reading, I suggest Harry Turtledove's alternate history series "The War That Came Early" (first book is called "Hitler's War").

I'm on book 4 and I give it a 9/10 for holy fuck.
Molon Lube

Cain

Strangely enough, I've been considering reading some of Turtledove.  From what I hear, he is pretty much the standard by which alternate history authors are rated.

I probably wont have time until the summer, but I'll definitely see if I can get it on the Kindle before I go on holiday.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 21, 2015, 10:45:51 PM
Strangely enough, I've been considering reading some of Turtledove.  From what I hear, he is pretty much the standard by which alternate history authors are rated.

I probably wont have time until the summer, but I'll definitely see if I can get it on the Kindle before I go on holiday.

He is indeed.  He's the grand old man of the genre.

He did another series that was similar (but the divide happened during the American civil war), but it was almost entirely placed in North America.  This one is European, and although the characterization isn't quite as good, the "what if" bits are pretty fucking awesome.
Molon Lube

Cain

His civil war series was the one I originally considered reading.  At that time, I'd just finished The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and so was, understandably, a bit burned out on WWII.  But that was a few years ago now.