News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

While we're at it...

Started by LMNO, January 25, 2007, 01:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: LHX on January 30, 2007, 10:20:57 PM
effort takes humor out of everything

unless you are watching the thing making the effort

then its funny as hell

like this thread is prolly a riot to anybody reading it

people are suspicious of people who try to be funny

You're right. But I do think it's possible to try to be funny and succeed. (see: stand up comics, television) The riot you're talking about is when someone tries to be funnier than they actually are (see: stand up comics, television).

hunter s.durden

Quote from: LHX on January 30, 2007, 10:20:57 PM
effort takes humor out of everything

unless you are watching the thing making the effort

then its funny as hell

like this thread is prolly a riot to anybody reading it

people are suspicious of people who try to be funny

Thats what I was saying in the other thread.
Just spit the knowledge and the funny will come out on it's own.

Quote from: triple zero on January 30, 2007, 10:34:38 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 30, 2007, 10:04:34 PMI would put this whole thing down. Explaining a joke is sooo unfunny that it's funny to me.

hell yeah! :lol:

usually when i make a joke/pun so BAD that people's brains somehow refuse to even attempt to get it or recognize it's a joke.

i EXPLAIN it to them, just to PAIN them some more.

down to the gritty details.

"not funny huh??! I'LL SHOW YOU NOT FUNNY"

You weren't trying to be funny were you? It just came out.
Unless i'm wrong. Then you are the joke writer.
This space for rent.

Triple Zero

Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 31, 2007, 12:57:22 AMYou weren't trying to be funny were you? It just came out.

well on the one hand i was of course demonstrating the "definition" i put up earlier (as i felt RWHN's post was a challenge to that, but i might have been wrong)

on the other hand it's kind of morbid fun to dissect jokes while they're still alive and wriggling, of course i know the analysis completely destroys the funny. if you take an intricate piece of fireworks apart bit by bit it also won't go off anymore, but -- and not only for seeing how it works -- it's kinda fun to do it.

two frames of reference, funny/not funny, brought in to a connection in an unexpected manner? :)

hey but isn't that what we're doing all the time here, the universe/machines/ourselves has played a horrible cosmic joke on us, and we can either die laughing or we can pick it apart until it's not funny anymore? ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Quote from: triple zero on January 31, 2007, 08:37:08 AM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 31, 2007, 12:57:22 AMYou weren't trying to be funny were you? It just came out.

well on the one hand i was of course demonstrating the "definition" i put up earlier (as i felt RWHN's post was a challenge to that, but i might have been wrong)

on the other hand it's kind of morbid fun to dissect jokes while they're still alive and wriggling, of course i know the analysis completely destroys the funny. if you take an intricate piece of fireworks apart bit by bit it also won't go off anymore, but -- and not only for seeing how it works -- it's kinda fun to do it.

two frames of reference, funny/not funny, brought in to a connection in an unexpected manner? :)

hey but isn't that what we're doing all the time here, the universe/machines/ourselves has played a horrible cosmic joke on us, and we can either die laughing or we can pick it apart until it's not funny anymore? ;-)

No, I wasn't challenging, I was providing an example.  Also, anytime I can use that joke I will.  One of my faves it is.  And also I like your approach with the bad jokes that people don't get.  I do that sometimes as well, though, often times I will just follow up with another bad joke until people start running away from me.

RWHN,
Knows how to clear a room. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 31, 2007, 01:58:03 PMAlso, anytime I can use that joke I will.  One of my faves it is. 

ah, i also have one of those (don't know if it translates well, but i'll try)

two idiots standing in front of the traffic light.
one says: "it's green"
the other says: "a frog"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mangrove

Quote from: triple zero on January 30, 2007, 10:34:38 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 30, 2007, 10:04:34 PMI would put this whole thing down. Explaining a joke is sooo unfunny that it's funny to me.

hell yeah!  :lol:

usually when i make a joke/pun so BAD that people's brains somehow refuse to even attempt to get it or recognize it's a joke.

i EXPLAIN it to them, just to PAIN them some more.

down to the gritty details.

"not funny huh??! I'LL SHOW YOU NOT FUNNY" Here's some pictures of Carrot Top!!
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Jasper

LAIL Mechanics, the lot of you.

Dirty bastards.

DJRubberducky

If I make you laugh by sticking out my tongue, is that glossolaila?
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Mangrove

Quote from: DJRubberducky on January 31, 2007, 08:46:52 PM
If I make you laugh by sticking out my tongue, is that glossolaila?

that's deep.

ever thought of joining SSOOKN?

DJRubberducky

Mmm...I don't do well in groups.  That's why I hang out here. :D
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Mangrove

Quote from: DJRubberducky on January 31, 2007, 09:18:18 PM
Mmm...I don't do well in groups.  That's why I hang out here. :D

it's free, no meetings, almost zero level commitment and teh scrid brings you snacks.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on January 25, 2007, 01:32:32 PM
Here's a PDF that was created for the Machine,Ñ¢.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/68444/mach-001-pdf.html

I'm gonna send it to syn for hosting, too.

Prof Cram, I'd like to get you (and everyone else's) opinion on this.

[re-jack]

Ok, the entire PDF needs to be done over, as far as layout is concerned.  I can alter the text to add another page, but I need someone who's good with PDF layout toactually put it together.  Who's up for it?

Cain

Synaptyx and TOA are both skilled with pdf image and layout.

LMNO