News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

DiscordianKitty

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Twitter - @DiscordianKitty

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: DiscordianKitty on March 03, 2011, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2011, 09:20:59 PM
Balls.

'Strue

Isn't.  Reality isn't subjective.   Your perception of it is.

You can have all the opinions in the world about a train, but none of them mean shit if you're still on the tracks when it arrives.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

DiscordianKitty

Yeah, but this guy on this other forum says the complete opposite, so I get to choose to go with his theory.
"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: DiscordianKitty on March 03, 2011, 09:52:26 PM
Yeah, but this guy on this other forum says the complete opposite, so I get to choose to go with his theory.

Right.  Off you go, then.

TGRR,
Doesn't argue with lemmings.

Salty

Quote from: DiscordianKitty on March 03, 2011, 09:52:26 PM

Some guy on that other forum is trying to get you run over by a train.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Well I believe I'm going to head on home and be a pain in the ass to my children.  :evil:

*GrumpButt*

Quote from: Khara on March 03, 2011, 10:32:36 PM
Well I believe I'm going to head on home and be a pain in the ass to my children.  :evil:

Some days this is all I have to look forward to.  :lulz:
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

DiscordianKitty

Quote from: Alty on March 03, 2011, 10:31:54 PM
Some guy on that other forum is trying to get you run over by a train.

:horrormirth:

Jasper

Coming back to this question, I would have to say "as little as possible".

East Coast Hustle

I like that answer.

I hate this thread, however, because every time I read it I'm reminded that people who might otherwise make valuable contributions to the world (or at least generate some lulz) are still hung up on superstitious nonsense and imaginary friends with superpowers.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 04, 2011, 06:40:38 AM
I like that answer.

I hate this thread, however, because every time I read it I'm reminded that people who might otherwise make valuable contributions to the world (or at least generate some lulz) are still hung up on superstitious nonsense and imaginary friends with superpowers.

Some people need susperstitious nonsense and imaginary friends with superpowers to get through the day.  Not everybody can get through your average shitty week without having somebody not actually close enough to give them the bitch-slapping they deserve when they blame every bloody thing going wrong in their lives on them instead of sucking it up and dealing with it, themselves.  Falling back on begging their imaginary friends for some sort of change rather than, you know, getting off their asses and working for that change themselves, gives them the, "well, I TRIED, but (insert name of imaginary friend of choice, here) said "NO." escuse to soothe their consciences.

Some people grow out of it.  Some people don't.  I find hope in the fact that most people realize the fat man in the red suit is a fairy tale, and hope the lesson gets applied further.

If here IS a "higher power," however you want to define it, He/She/It has better things to do than to listen to every damn person on the planet whine about every little thing. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

I hate this thread because I intended the OP as an honest question, not as a platform to shit on people whose beliefs you don't agree with. c'est la vie I guess.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 03:15:32 PM

I hate this thread because I intended the OP as an honest question, not as a platform to shit on people whose beliefs you don't agree with. c'est la vie I guess.

Go fuck yourself, Cram. If you intended it as an honest question, you should expect honest answers even if they're not the answers YOU want to hear. If people don't want their beliefs shit on then maybe they should think about having less-stupid beliefs. It's not as though just HAVING a belief makes it valid. It's like every time you start a discussion and it takes a turn you're uncomfortable with you stick your fingers in your ears and yell "LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU" or start making vauge accusations of disrespectfulness (as though being respectful were something this board is known for). Try disassociating your questions from your own ego once in a while; it may help your intellectual credibility.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"