Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 26, 2014, 01:08:53 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2014, 12:37:37 AM
It is 112F out today.

The air is absolutely still.

And nobody ever stopped screaming again.

It's a good thing you guys are all already dead, that kind of thing could kill people if they were alive.

There are some advantages, yes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The financial equivalent of a ruptured ball mill just happened, and everyone's looking to me to clean up the mess.

I'm still going to watch the US play Germany, though.  Fuck it.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, my health has been poor for the last few weeks.  The doctor sends me to the neurosurgeon.  The neurosurgeon tells me that my reticular formation is (and has been) "rewiring" itself.  It can't heal, but it can find new ways to use what's left.  This is normally a good thing, because it means that humans can recover from damn near anything.

However, the reticular formation basically acts as the brain's switchboard.  When it starts rewiring itself, that means that important signals get stepped on or interfered with, similar to "chatter" in data cables.  What this means in practical terms is that A.  I will get arrythmia to the point where I fall down if I'm standing, as well as B.  Sensory interference.  This can mean anything from numb limbs to hearing (balance, anyone?  Your brain isn't talking with your inner ear, check back in 30 seconds), to illusions.

Illusions are different from hallucinations in that you don't believe they exist.  The part of my brain that THINKS is unchanged (ie, still stupid), so when I see weird things (and by weird, I mean, HELLO, Ben Templesmith!), I just decide that it's this problem and ignore it.

The good news is, this didn't happen when I was younger, because it's happening far slower in my case and is less likely to, you know, have my brain just stop talking to my heart or lungs altogether.  The bad news is that it may take a little while for my brain to decide that it's done making repairs.  Like, say, 30 years or so.

The treatment course is "choke it down, sissy".  The best they can do is give me sedatives to make me feel better about it.

And if you know me at all, you know sedatives aren't really my style.

So this is what's been wrong with me for a while now.  Weeks.  Longer, really, but it's only just gotten bad this last spring.  I've been a bit of a hermit because I don't need ANY extra stress, and I wasn't going to deal with the latest version of holist.  Also, I've been super busy at work, as I have mentioned.

Thing is, there's been no time to write, so no stress relief.  So I am MAKING time to write, no matter how busy we are.  Next chapter in the PI story goes up sometime today.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 26, 2014, 02:10:56 PM
The financial equivalent of a ruptured ball mill just happened, and everyone's looking to me to clean up the mess.

I'm still going to watch the US play Germany, though.  Fuck it.

Good man.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2014, 02:17:54 PM
So, my health has been poor for the last few weeks.  The doctor sends me to the neurosurgeon.  The neurosurgeon tells me that my reticular formation is (and has been) "rewiring" itself.  It can't heal, but it can find new ways to use what's left.  This is normally a good thing, because it means that humans can recover from damn near anything.

However, the reticular formation basically acts as the brain's switchboard.  When it starts rewiring itself, that means that important signals get stepped on or interfered with, similar to "chatter" in data cables.  What this means in practical terms is that A.  I will get arrythmia to the point where I fall down if I'm standing, as well as B.  Sensory interference.  This can mean anything from numb limbs to hearing (balance, anyone?  Your brain isn't talking with your inner ear, check back in 30 seconds), to illusions.

Illusions are different from hallucinations in that you don't believe they exist.  The part of my brain that THINKS is unchanged (ie, still stupid), so when I see weird things (and by weird, I mean, HELLO, Ben Templesmith!), I just decide that it's this problem and ignore it.

The good news is, this didn't happen when I was younger, because it's happening far slower in my case and is less likely to, you know, have my brain just stop talking to my heart or lungs altogether.  The bad news is that it may take a little while for my brain to decide that it's done making repairs.  Like, say, 30 years or so.

The treatment course is "choke it down, sissy".  The best they can do is give me sedatives to make me feel better about it.

So this is what's been wrong with me for a while now.  Weeks.  Longer, really, but it's only just gotten bad this last spring.  I've been a bit of a hermit because I don't need ANY extra stress, and I wasn't going to deal with the latest version of holist.  Also, I've been super busy at work, as I have mentioned.

Thing is, there's been no time to write, so no stress relief.  So I am MAKING time to write, no matter how busy we are.  Next chapter in the PI story goes up sometime today.

Holy shit.  Your heart is freaking out, parts of your body misfire, and their solution is "deal with it"?

Fuck.  That's harsh.

Suu

Well. Shit.  :sad:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 26, 2014, 02:28:30 PM

Holy shit.  Your heart is freaking out, parts of your body misfire, and their solution is "deal with it"?

Fuck.  That's harsh.

They're being honest.  There really isn't much to be done that wouldn't make things worse.

The Good Reverend Roger

On the plus side, I see a far better version of the world than you guys do.    :lulz:

Junkenstein

Well if it keeps producing writing of your usual standard, it's a price we're willing to pay.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

So, the piece about seeing people from the 20th century in the mirror is... autobiographical?

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

That is some fucked up shit right there. Wow, man.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cramulus

Yeah Roger, that's some serious shit. Thoughts are with you. That must be really disorienting.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2014, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 26, 2014, 02:58:35 AM
My neighbors seem to be standing in their back yard ringing a large bell and calling out for Nixon.

I am less OK with this than you might think I am.

Sometimes the weird happens right next to you.  Statistically speaking, it has to.

And at least this isn't the kind of weird that sometimes happens.

It's a lot better than the other thing that's happening on my block, which is house demolition beginning at 7 am every day this week.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 26, 2014, 03:22:31 PM
So, the piece about seeing people from the 20th century in the mirror is... autobiographical?

No, but it is almost representative.

It's more like everything distorts, but occasionally I see angels, people turn into caricatures, etc.  They're not really there, of course.  But it can be a little unnerving at first.