News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Two layers of thought

Started by tipareth, October 26, 2012, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 09:56:03 PM
Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:51:21 PM
Reverend Roadkill, you are a new breed: Trolls who get by on accusing others of trolling.

Yes, I am trolling PD.  I admit it.  I have been doing so since January of 2002, and it took a genius like you to expose my fiendish plan.  I in fact became an admin specifically to make this easier.  You sir, are a regular fucking SHERLOCK HOLMES, and I think everyone on this here board should take a moment to thank you.

In any case, as V3x has pointed out, we've only been having this conversation for 8 years, so there wasn't much chance you'd see it.  Of course, at no time did we holler at people to MOVE FORWARD, which explains why, despite our having written several books and pamphlets on the subject, we've made no progress at all.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to clear the checklist off...So please accuse me of the following things:

1.  Not being a REAL Discordian.
2.  Controling the minds of the other members, ala Jim Jones or with orbital mind control lasers, etc.
3.  Being an old curmudgeony bald-headed bastard.
4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.

When do the obsessive batshit PMs start?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm just trying to figure out how suddenly his asshole behavior is our fault.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

That could be diagnosed as several things.

MOAR SCIENCE!
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bu🤠ns

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I'm thinking it was an oblique recursive reference to the admonishment to "keep the conversation going."

Bu🤠ns

Oh.  No actually--I was just appreciating how the three of you pretty much won the thread.  That is to say, if there was a thread to be won at all.

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, in the general vein of "this conversation didn't go where I want," I've found myself a couple times now put things up and then get responses that feel like I failed to communicate what I really wanted to. So far I've attempted shrieking and ignoring it, both of which are pretty unsatisfactory and dumb. Is there a good way to say "you went way the hell over to left field with that and I was aiming somewhere else entirely" without it coming across as a judgment of the person responding or the general quality of their response?

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 06:02:31 PM
OK thanks for chiming in, all. BUT. We didn't take the discussion as far as I was trying to go into. You all agreed that even relatively intelligent people will react emotionally rather than rationally when confronted with an idea that actually challenges an assumption they have based a lot on. But why? Why is it I was attracted to such things and others aren't? I mean I could go into genetics and how large populations of our relative recent ancestors were bred to be submissive to an idea.

It seems that people are still under the yoke we've just been given the freedom to chose a yoke. I mean huge movements of thought will sweep our population (which is a new phenomenon, as far as how common that has become) but can possibly be useless when put up to actual intellectual scrutiny. In short, we seem to have given ignorance a veneer of intelligence. I believe this to be dangerous in that people are electing officials into power who are pandering to these thoughts. Please continue.

Who's this "we"? You posted once and disappeared for three days. I didn't realize everyone else was supposed to dance for your entertainment while you were gone. If you're interested in the topic, keep the conversation going. I don't feel the need to hash it out for you; those of us who have had the same discussion in the past probably don't find it as compelling as those for whom it is fresh and new, which at this point appears to just be you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on October 31, 2012, 04:58:15 PM
So, in the general vein of "this conversation didn't go where I want," I've found myself a couple times now put things up and then get responses that feel like I failed to communicate what I really wanted to. So far I've attempted shrieking and ignoring it, both of which are pretty unsatisfactory and dumb. Is there a good way to say "you went way the hell over to left field with that and I was aiming somewhere else entirely" without it coming across as a judgment of the person responding or the general quality of their response?

"OK, that's interesting, but not really what I was looking to discuss.  How about we talk about that in another thread, and that way we can keep a clearer focus on the main points I was looking at in this one."

Epimetheus

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to clear the checklist off...So please accuse me of the following things:

2.  Controling the minds of the other members, ala Jim Jones or with orbital mind control lasers, etc.
4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.

I caught that - trying to slip #3 in there like it isn't true.  :)
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chimes on October 31, 2012, 10:00:26 PM

4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I have hair this month.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 31, 2012, 11:56:02 PM

4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.

So, in terms of ratio, the relative increase of hair on your person is infinitesimal. ;) Q.E.D., you're about as bald as before.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 31, 2012, 11:56:02 PM

4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.

Pics or it didn't happen.

And seriously, Burns left forever because some aspie got butthurt over nobody being interested or impressed with their aspie-ness? I mean, I get the sense it's probably his GF/wife/what the fuck ever, but just because you're touching genitals with someone doesn't mean that sending them to PD is a good idea. In fact, it's consistently one of worst ideas people have regarding this site. And if they come to PD and have their own intellectual and/or social weaknesses exposed, how does that make PD the asshole? And to top it off, there are two possibilities: Tipareth demanded that Burns stop being friends with us and he complied, which makes her a manipulative and controlling shitneck and him a weak-minded bowl of dick pudding OR Burns decided on his own that if we weren't nice to his special little friend then we weren't worth his time anymore. Not sure which I think is worse, but they both suck a bunch of donkey balls.

Burns was one of my favorite posters here. I'm sad that my estimation of him as a person is lowered.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"