Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 21, 2014, 11:44:10 AM
So, interesting disconnect this morning.  One of my co-workers was bragging they did the ice bucket challenge already.  I said, "Oh, that's cool. How much did you donate?"  They replied, "At the time, I didn't realize you donated, too," and just let it at that.  As if, it's completely impossible to donate to ALS after the fact.  Like, "I already did the thing, and I'm done thinking about it."

Like there's a specific window of time when you can donate to a charity.

That is exactly how most people think.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Grades are in. The shitty research methods professor gave me an A, which was not unexpected so much as kind of a wild card.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 21, 2014, 04:39:49 PM
Grades are in. The shitty research methods professor gave me an A, which was not unexpected so much as kind of a wild card.

Don't forget about midterms next week.

Also, it appears the pregnant is going around again. First it was my cousin with her twins, now two more of my friends are telling me all about how they're barfing their guts up for the sake of procreation, and then have the balls to ask me when I'm having babies.

The answer is no. No to all of it. And if all you're doing about your pregnancy is telling people about how MISERABLE you are, and how you can't even eat, and oh woe is you, get the ball of jelly sucked out, and call it quits.

-Suu
No, I haven't said that to them. I do have manners. Sometimes.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Congrats on the grade.

Today seems to be my day for upsetting all kinds of people.  I made someone go ALL CAPSLOCK on me on the Requiem reddit for asking build advice and mentioning, in passing, that I was playing a Dunmer Nightblade (cuz that's totally not one of the most popular builds in the game or anything).  I'm mostly leaving it though, because I like /r/Requiem and I'm not sure how far I can push the rules by being a douchebag in return.

And on another forum, for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, I'm being told I'm a "straight noob" and "add me to your friends list and I will show you what a real boss can do", and " I can teach you the ropes. Saving some missiles for London wave 10 plat will be step 1. Step 2 will be show some respect to your betters."  My heinous crime?  Laughing at him for failing a Platinum match and whining that someone else used a missile that, in his opinion, was "scorewhoring".  It now turns out he abuses glitches in the game and almost exclusively plays overpowered classes and kits, so I'm engaging in as much mockery as physically possible.  He strangely seems to have vanished....  :sad:

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 21, 2014, 04:39:49 PM

Nice.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

A guy tried to door me today. He turned and looked right at me through his window with a shitty grimace on his face and flung his door open so hard it bounced back and smacked him in the face.

I've had all manner of idiots just not pay attention to the road when they get out of their cars, but I've never had someone make eye contact and then proceed to try to injure me like that. Or have it backfire so gloriously.

Suu

The local Halloween party's theme this year is movie extras. Anyone by the leading stars, but you can still be recognizable.

I'm debating between the football players from Beetlejuice or Rex Manning and Jane from Empire Records.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

Quote from: N E T on August 21, 2014, 08:20:52 PM
A guy tried to door me today. He turned and looked right at me through his window with a shitty grimace on his face and flung his door open so hard it bounced back and smacked him in the face.

I've had all manner of idiots just not pay attention to the road when they get out of their cars, but I've never had someone make eye contact and then proceed to try to injure me like that. Or have it backfire so gloriously.

I don't think I've ever seen someone try to door anyone else... is this a common practice?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: Hoopla on August 21, 2014, 09:34:02 PM
Quote from: N E T on August 21, 2014, 08:20:52 PM

I don't think I've ever seen someone try to door anyone else... is this a common practice?

In the 10 years I've been commuting by bike I've never seen someone be so malicious.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Tyre blowout at 50MPH in the pissing rain this evening. That was fun.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 21, 2014, 10:16:19 PM
Tyre blowout at 50MPH in the pissing rain this evening. That was fun.

Damn, I'm glad you're okay.