News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

LMNO, TWID, OTHER BOSTON SPAGS.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 16, 2014, 03:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 17, 2014, 12:09:35 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

My stance has been, "Christ, what an asshole." I don't want him to be hurt, or have his life ruined permanently by the system. I also disagree with those who want him to burn.

But it's completely unfair to say that first responders over reacted when it initially happened and they should have known it was a harmless art prank.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 12:09:10 AM
Other thing is, I didn't see a lot of people actually howling for blood in this thread.

I saw people (myself included) making predictions on police reactions, etc, but nobody demanding the kid be bastinadoed.  There is a difference between stating a prediction and hoping that it actually happens.

I don't know exactly what you guys are responding to, but my posts were in response to the kid being arrested and charged with terrorism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, I don't think the police acted inappropriately.  They didn't thrash the kid in the street (again, incomplete information) or in the cells.

But when he is sent to a psychologist to determine his condition, rather than being held in a mental institution pending judicial action/arraignment, it means they're trying to prove that he was competent, so they can fuck him into prison for 35 years.  So, you know...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 12:12:00 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

My stance has been, "Christ, what an asshole." I don't want him to be hurt, or have his life ruined permanently by the system. I also disagree with those who want him to burn.

But it's completely unfair to say that first responders over reacted when it initially happened and they should have known it was a harmless art prank.

Other thing is, I didn't see a lot of people actually howling for blood in this thread.

I saw people (myself included) making predictions on police reactions, etc, but nobody demanding the kid be bastinadoed.  There is a difference between stating a prediction and hoping that it actually happens.

I don't know exactly what you guys are responding to, but my posts were in response to the kid being arrested and charged with terrorism.

Oh.

Nevermind.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 12:12:00 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

:lulz:

You were a bit vehement.  Made me defensive.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/16/us/boston-marathon-security/

QuoteThe first clue that something was amiss Tuesday came when a police officer spotted a man with a backpack walking barefoot in the rain down Boylston Street. Police said he became very vocal and started yelling.
When asked what was in the backpack, the man told the officer it was a rice cooker, Boston Police Superintendent Randy Halstead said.
"We looked into the backpack, saw that it was what appeared to be a rice cooker, had the individual take the knapsack off, drop it on the street, and he was taken into custody," Halstead said.

So that's my timeline question resolved.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 17, 2014, 12:15:58 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/16/us/boston-marathon-security/

QuoteThe first clue that something was amiss Tuesday came when a police officer spotted a man with a backpack walking barefoot in the rain down Boylston Street. Police said he became very vocal and started yelling.
When asked what was in the backpack, the man told the officer it was a rice cooker, Boston Police Superintendent Randy Halstead said.
"We looked into the backpack, saw that it was what appeared to be a rice cooker, had the individual take the knapsack off, drop it on the street, and he was taken into custody," Halstead said.

So that's my timeline question resolved.

Good enough.  Until there's another version.

After all, it's cops talking, here.  And you can believe me when I say that you never, ever trust a cop's testimony.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't blame them for taking him into custody, at all. The whole "TURRISM" thing, though... dunno about that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 12:42:41 AM
I don't blame them for taking him into custody, at all. The whole "TURRISM" thing, though... dunno about that.

This is what the American people bought when they decided to have a national nervous breakdown in 2001.

They also bought the TSA and pervert machines, domestic spying, drones, and "national security" being a free pass on an even larger scale than in the 80s.  Or even the 50s.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, the proper response:

Take him into custody.  Dispose of the bag.  Take him to a secure mental facility, turn the docs loose on him, find out what's wrong.  There's ALWAYS time later to prosecute, if there's something worth prosecuting him.

But now they HAVE to prosecute him, or their dicks will shrivel right up.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 12:50:25 AM

Take him into custody.  Dispose of the bag.  Take him to a secure mental facility, turn the docs loose on him, find out what's wrong.  There's ALWAYS time later to prosecute, if there's something worth prosecuting him.

I think that one of the things about it that dismays me a bit is that a lot of both the art and the protest of the 20th century would now be prosecutable as terrorism.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 12:49:02 AM

This is what the American people bought when they decided to have a national nervous breakdown in 2001.

They also bought the TSA and pervert machines, domestic spying, drones, and "national security" being a free pass on an even larger scale than in the 80s.  Or even the 50s.

And yes, totally, all of this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 03:04:21 AM

I think that one of the things about it that dismays me a bit is that a lot of both the art and the protest of the 20th century would now be prosecutable as terrorism.

Most of it, actually.  They'd have shot Abbie Hoffman out of hand.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 03:08:47 AM

Yeah, it's. I mean. Well, the 20th century was horrible. But this is also horrible, in a different way. We live in an era of pre-approved protests and art that has to be run past the authorities in advance. Maybe this is what it looks like to approach true civility?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 03:59:01 AM

Yeah, it's. I mean. Well, the 20th century was horrible. But this is also horrible, in a different way. We live in an era of pre-approved protests and art that has to be run past the authorities in advance. Maybe this is what it looks like to approach true civility?

It's bad, but it's still better than the mechanized brutality and mass murder of 20C.  So far.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 04:32:23 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2014, 03:59:01 AM

It's bad, but it's still better than the mechanized brutality and mass murder of 20C.  So far.

Yeah, I am willing to accept that it might be a side-effect of progress that I am simply unprepared for.