News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Frequently asked questions..

Started by Purpleris Niaiseris, June 08, 2008, 11:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Nigel, I noticed that you don't really like PurpleEris, the way she posts, and the way she expresses her ideas.

I also noticed that you called her out on it in no uncertain terms, and then vociferously defended yourself when people disagreed with you, saying (paraphrased), "I'm going to say what I feel, so you can all go to hell if you don't like it."  

As a take away from that, I get the impression that you feel right and justified to flame another poster, and people shouldn't give you shit for doing so.

So, then ECH comes along, and doesn't really like some of the things you've been posting, nor the way you've been expressing your ideas.  So he calls you out on it.  Using your own actions as a model, doesn't he have the right to say what he wants?  Why are you giving him a hard time about it?

I'm not sure why you don't see how your actions can be considered hypocrisy.

Of course, I'm sure you don't care, and I'm pretty sure I can eat a dick now.  Just wanted to point it out.

Honey

Oh 1 more thing, I always think it's interesting when people begin to think in the language they've learned.  What do you think?

Also, feel free to get in touch if you ever visit NY!   :)
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Honey

Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Elder Iptuous

could someone kindly link to the bewbs, so i don't have to wade through 43 pages of crap to find em?
oh, and i call no-troutsies on the link...

hooplala

They're not worth it, don't worry yourself.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on March 26, 2009, 12:24:19 PM
Nigel, I noticed that you don't really like PurpleEris, the way she posts, and the way she expresses her ideas.

I also noticed that you called her out on it in no uncertain terms, and then vociferously defended yourself when people disagreed with you, saying (paraphrased), "I'm going to say what I feel, so you can all go to hell if you don't like it."  

As a take away from that, I get the impression that you feel right and justified to flame another poster, and people shouldn't give you shit for doing so.

So, then ECH comes along, and doesn't really like some of the things you've been posting, nor the way you've been expressing your ideas.  So he calls you out on it.  Using your own actions as a model, doesn't he have the right to say what he wants?  Why are you giving him a hard time about it?

I'm not sure why you don't see how your actions can be considered hypocrisy.

Of course, I'm sure you don't care, and I'm pretty sure I can eat a dick now.  Just wanted to point it out.

Of course he has a right to say something, just as I have a right to say something back. Did I tell him not to say anything? No. I did not. Where is the hypocrisy in that? Would it not be more hypocritical if I refrained from giving him a hard time about  it?

I DID suggest that he bring shit up in the relevant thread so that there's context, and be specific about what he disagrees with, though. As it stands, he's being pretty vague about it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But, you know, good job cross-seeding this topic with drama from another one... props for that!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2009, 02:14:44 AM
Whatever. I hate people who think they're cute as a bug's ear, and that's the impression she gives me. Hate on.

And, purpleshitstain, don't fucking tell me what to do with my time, you stupid cunty pinealist dog whore.

:lulz:

you're sounding more and more like DK every day minute.

also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but in PED's defense (not that she seems to need defending), English is not her first language.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 28, 2009, 11:27:49 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2009, 02:14:44 AM
Whatever. I hate people who think they're cute as a bug's ear, and that's the impression she gives me. Hate on.

And, purpleshitstain, don't fucking tell me what to do with my time, you stupid cunty pinealist dog whore.

:lulz:

you're sounding more and more like DK every day minute.

also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but in PED's defense (not that she seems to need defending), English is not her first language.

Are you just trolling me, at this point?

East Coast Hustle

sadly, no. you really are coming off as that much of a mouth-frothing lunatic.

like the fat kid drummer with parkinson's, only angry.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2009, 02:14:44 AMdon't fucking tell me what to do with my time, you stupid cunty pinealist dog whore.

because really, this was totally called for and a completely appropriate (and intelligent) response to what was said to you.

Triple Zero

honey,

for the Dutch, it starts at a young age, as soon as they learn to read (Dutch) with subtitles. we have a lot of american and british TV series and movies on TV, and they are subtitled in Dutch. watch that for as few hours every day, for a couple of years and you pretty much can't help but picking up some of the language. I suppose this is why Germans generally speak English less good, since their american/british TV programs are dubbed to German.
then, I got to learn English in school starting at age 11 or so (? not entirely sure), for me French lessons started at 12 (first year of highschool), and German the year after that (probably because they figured French is harder to learn for Dutch, so they start it at a younger age). I really hated learning languages in school btw, I'm more of a math/physics guy. But this was only for German and French cause we had to learn wordlists and verbs and such (which I think is dull, i dropped them asap). the Dutch and English classes were of a higher level, grammar lessons and literature.
after that came college Computer Science, where 90% of my textbooks were in english, and in the later years some courses as well. I read a bunch of fantasy and scifi literature, figured it made sense to read them in their original language (which was English). In the mean time I was posting on the internet and chatting with people from europe and all over the world, and even if there's no native speakers around, in a multilingual community, the language of choice quickly becomes English.
and to be fair, the people on PD.com seem to pay good attention to their spelling and grammar, so I also use you guys to polish my english ;-)

as far as the effects are concerned. I have one Dutch friend, for some reason a lot of our conversations are about 50% Dutch/English mashups, partly because it's funny (in a retarded in-joke kind of way) and partly because the subject matter lends itself to english.
and yes, I do think in English :) usually only when I'm reading, writing, speaking or listening to English, but sometimes I also catch myself that entire trains of thought go in English, without much reason to it. I even tried having a conversation between my "english brain" and the "dutch brain", which was odd and somewhat worrying in a sense (but that might have had more to do with my general mood at that moment). I don't think that I dream in English, I can't recall, but I suppose if any of you guys (or someone who I usually converse with in English) would appear, I'd speak english.

Btw, even though the language is much more similar to Dutch than English, I am hardly fluent in German. I can carry a conversation in it, but it takes effort, and I find myself searching for words quite often. I've totally given up on the inflection/gender thing in German though, I usually just wing it with whatever "feels" right. I suppose it's a lack of practice. I tried reading Herman Hesse in the original German, which I gave up after 6 pages. I'm having a littlebit more luck with the German translation of the first book of THHGTTG, which is probably because the language is easier and I've read the English original like 7 times or so.

In French, I can form only very basic sentences, with a lot of effort. I never tried but I think carrying a conversation would be impossible.

I don't speak Hungarian. Those words are so weird, I forgot them almost immediately after I closed the tourist- language-guide booklet when I was on holiday there. Which led to some weird looks as I trailed off and stopped mid-sentence. I did have a lot of fun mix-and-matching sentences from the booklet until they formed something dirty or insulting. seemed to work btw. but you need a really really BIG GRIN on your face if you want to pull off walking up to a girl, and reading from the booklet "How ... much ... for ... a night?"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Honey

:D  Thanks for the thoughtful response to my wonderings, I appreciate.  Some of your thoughts are similar to the musings I've teased out of family, friends & co-workers on the subject.  When people move to the US, they often learn English through listening to the radio & watching TV.  Immersing yourself in the language/culture seems to work best.  I've been to parties where everyone is speaking mostly one language & it's not always English.  When it's not my first language, I seem to pick up on & rely on other nuances that I think I would normally miss.  I find myself listening more closely, paying more attention to facial cues, body language & other non-verbal type clues.  Seems more honest somehow.  Also, when visiting more tourist type spots, you get to hear all different kinds of languages, all in one place & all at the same time.  I like that.  I try to guess & if I know a few words, I try them out too.  When I've visited places like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State building & so on, there are hardly any native New Yorkers there. 

One thing I've noticed too is that people (like you) who are multi lingual, don't seem to make a big deal out of it.  I think it's a very valuable skill & talent.  Not meaning that it's taken for granted or anything, more like "necessity is the mother of invention."  & I think I said this before but it's as if you are exercising a muscle when you can easily go back & forth like that.  A cognitive flexibility of sorts.  Takes a certain kind of courage & sense of humor & of course much intelligence. 

I never even thought about asking about the dreaming part!  That's a new one for me to ask.  I also like the idea of you having a conversation between your English & Dutch brain!  That made sense to me (& I hope that doesn't worry you  :)).  For me though, my inner dialogue with myself mostly consists of me attempting to translate what I want to say in English to some form that would be understood in the other language.  & sometimes the things I want to say are hard enough for me to express in English.  I'm also more visual in memory & sometimes use symbols so it always seems to take quite a long time for me to gather my words together.  Ah well.

Many thanks & much respect.  Happy dreams too!   :D       
Fuck the status quo!

-Bertrand Russell

the last yatto

also

Peut-on coucher avec du bon fromage en buvant du vin rouge?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit