News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

In light of recent political developments it has become clear that Hollywood and the music industry, or more specifically the RIAA and MPAA, have become a threat to our freedom whose continued existence can no longer be safely permitted.   

How do I propose that this threat be eliminated? By collapsing the market for their services through the large scale, widespread production and distribution of Kopyleft materials (in an easily redistributable format whenever possible). Obviously, I cannot accomplish this by myself, and so I am calling upon all of you to write, record, and freely distribute your own songs and films.

I understand that many of you will state that you are already doing this, through YouTube, and that is an admirable start, but sadly this is no longer sufficient and is, furthermore, in danger of ceasing to remain an option should bills such as SOPA, PIPA, or others which may arise as their spiritual successors be passed (and be warned that even if the immediate threat is shot down the greater threat from the RIAA and MPAA will remain). While you should continue to post videos to YouTube and songs to music sharing sites you should also make an effort to distribute them through mediums which are more easily copied and redistributed as we as more secure against tampering and government intrusion. Copy your songs and videos to a DVD or flash drive and have tour friends pass it around between them and copy the content to their own drives, to be further copied and distributed to others in their lives whom you may not know personally.

You can also help more directly by boycotting the latest mainstream movies and by not buying firsthand CDs or DVDs or downloadable music from major labels or studios, only secondhand stuff, as this is legal, but does not profit the publisher. Instead, try to patronize local musicians, minor labels, and independent artists and filmmakers whenever possible. You should also try to patronize artists who sell their music directly to the consumer.

Furthermore, if you must patronize mainstream media, and it is almost impossible to avoid doing so entirely, try to give preference to films and bands with at least one actor, director, band member, or the like who has publicly expressed opposition to SOPA and/or PIPA

Do not, however, I repeat DO NOT destroy any mainstream media you already possess. While powerful as a symbolic gesture, doing so would open the possibility of you purchasing new copies of the destroyed media if you have a change of heart, which is directly counter to what we want to happen; Furthermore, any mainstream media which you desire to get rid of anyway should be resold or given away to help prevent firsthand sales. (Conversely, when dealing with the occasional artist who still has integrity, it would be nice if you encouraged your friends to buy their own copies even if you're no longer using yours)

Please help spread this message. Explain it to your friends and family and/or copy it to other forums. Spread the word. To preserve our freedom, Hollywood (and the music industry) must be destroyed.

EDIT: Added lines calling for people to patronize independent artists (bolded text)
EDIT: Added lines supporting actors, musicians, etc. who publicly oppose SOPA, even if they work for a mainstream company (italicized text)
EDIT: Corrected some ambiguous text that formerly seemed to be promoting illegal activity (underlined text)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Nephew Twiddleton

Please explain how hollywood and the music industry are a threat to our freedoms?

Also even though i amenable to making some music for free distribution the fact remains that i do actually like making money off of music when i can. So i dont see myself getting on board with this since i disagree with it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

They're the ones supporting things like SOPA and PIPA

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Kid,

Megamergers are a threat to our freedom. Shared monopolies are a thread to our freedom. The electoral college is a threat to our freedom. Multinational corporations are a threat to our freedom. Lobbyists are a threat to our freedom. The Senate is a threat to our freedom.

"Hollywood" would not be a threat to our freedom without these other factors. "Hollywood" would just be a place where a lot of show business happens.

Get your facts straight so you can recognize your real enemy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 18, 2012, 10:17:10 PM

Who are "they"?

The film industry, the music industry and the other related industries who are prone to overreacting to piracy.

Nephew Twiddleton

So how is me not accepting payment for probably the only job that i would enjoy doing for the rest of my life going to accomplish help me be more free?

Also i gotta ask because i wonder every time youve posted something lately. And maybe its not fair to ask but its bugging me. How old are you?

Q. G. Pennyworth

You should replace "Hollywood" with "RIAA and MPAA" if that's what you're getting at.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on January 18, 2012, 10:31:45 PM
You should replace "Hollywood" with "RIAA and MPAA" if that's what you're getting at.

That's probably a good idea

The thing is, that the only thing I can think of that has even a slight chance of weakening them is to weaken their parent industries.

Their arguments in favor of anti-piracy measures is that piracy is killing them, but I say that if this is what they propose to save themselves, then let them die; they are less important than the freedom of the internet.

Cain

On the other hand, the NSA is developing cyber-warfare centres across the USA with a large enough capacity to store half of all the information on the internet, Facebook already has 1800 pages worth of information on you and Google are letting the government read your emails via a purpose built backdoor.

People getting all worked up about SOPA from a civil liberties POV are missing the point: that ship already sailed.  Total Information Awareness has been the name of the game since 2003. Wake up and smell the retroactive FISA immunity bill.  They're spying on the Quakers, so they're sure as fuck spying on you.  If you're worried about this being used to squash internal dissent, you're missing the fact the President can just send a a Predator drone or JSOC hitsquad around your place to blow your brains out - all perfectly legally.

I'm all for kicking megacorps in the teeth and pissing on their wheaties, but lets not build this up into anything it's not.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 18, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 18, 2012, 10:17:10 PM

Who are "they"?

The film industry, the music industry and the other related industries who are prone to overreacting to piracy.

Who is "the film industry" and "the music industry"?

If you don't know your enemies, how can you hope to defeat them?

By the way, entertainment industry profits are way up. Piracy isn't hurting their bottom line.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on January 18, 2012, 10:31:45 PM

Gonna have to get more specific than that. Who funds the RIAA?

kingyak

Cain: For that matter, a lot of the shit people are worried about can already be accomplished under the DMCA, which has been abused again and again since it was passed. SOPA/PIPA just eliminate the tiny bit of due process that currently exists, but if a dog's already bitten me twice, I'm not going to just stand there and let him bite me a third time if I can help it.

As to the OP: Are you in a shitty band? Because the "everybody should stop trying to make money from their art" and "everybody should stop supporting people who make money from their art," when combined, sounds a lot like "I can't make money from my art." Well, either that or "I'm financially comfortable that I don't have to worry about supporting myself," which unfortunately most people (particularly artists who are not already working for "the system") are not.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Nephew Twiddleton

What kingyak said. Either that or that you dont want to pay for entertainment. Someone still has to create that entertainment and they have the right to be compensated for that work. Being in a band is fun but its also hard work. If my band palys a show in the middle of winter and we have to lug our amps and drums in the cold from the practice space to the van the van to the stage the stage to the van and then the van to the practice space and we dont get paid were going to be annoyed. We did a show in central massachusetts and didnt even get enough to cover gas because the show wasnt well promoted and there were only like ten people there and the money had to be split between four bands. So were never playing that venue again. Because that sort of bullshit sucks when youre a self funded band.

Cramulus

Give us some copyleft resources! we'll play with them

Question - is youtube part of the bad guys?