News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 20, 2012, 01:53:37 AM
Ech im pretty sure at this point hes not actually going to answer our questions. I think hes just trying to justify his sense of entitlement to free entertainment as some sort noble crusade and that musicians should just suck it up.

This is about the potential for things like SOPA and PIPA to completely fuck up things like Wikipedia and about weakening the companies that support such legislation. I am not in theory opposed to paying for entertainment, but I propose to flood the market with free entertainment to weaken the massively corrupt companies that control the entertainment industry at the current time.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

kingyak

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Nephew Twiddleton

Thats totally unfair man. I would suggest to you that you support local musicians and minor labels if you have qualms about that sort of thing. And while i think the likes of metallica are tools and dont need any more money but they are providing a service and should be compensated regardless if they are on a major label.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Q. G. Pennyworth

You would get a better response if your answer was "boycott artists that are represented by a major label" or "only purchase music and other forms of entertainment directly from the artists." Which still doesn't cover the issue that larger productions still require up front money, and the people who provide that money are entitled to make some profit off of it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Theres already free entertainment. Its called karaoke open mic youtube and buying your own guitar. The market is already flooded with free entertainment and its not stopping the music industry. Im cool with stopping this legislation but in theory not opposing musicians getting paid isnt what you said. You should buy first hand music but maybe you want to be more conscientious about it rather than looking like a dude who cant be arsed to pay a couple of bucks every so often.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 02:08:33 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:49:49 AM
You still haven't explained, well, anything really.

Is there a point to this aside from you not wanting to pay for your entertainment?

This is about retribution for SOPA and PIPA, even if they don't get passed, the fact that they've gotten as far as they did is by itself worthy of retribution.

How would you suggest musicians/actors/etc. get paid for their work?

I don't know, and for that I'm sorry. I bear no ill will towards the actual artists, but something has to be done about their corporate masters, and I don't foresee any any magical means making itself available to take down or even slightly weaken the RIAA and MPAA without any collateral damage. In my eye, however, the important thing is that the forseeable collateral damage is less than the damage that the RIAA and MPAA will do if left unchecked. Is nearly impossible to kill the king without capturing a few pawns.

That's so fucking retarded that it's making my eye twitch. I have to back out of this thread now before I get ugly.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
I haven't traced all of the big four to their umbrella corps, but it looks like they may all be owned by the big five information corporations... which would make it not entirely unlikely that this is really about controlling information on the internet. The big five already (for all practical purposes) own the airwaves and print, so it makes sense that the internet would be their next bid.
One of them is Disney.

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 02:08:33 AM
You still haven't explained, well, anything really.

Is there a point to this aside from you not wanting to pay for your entertainment?

This is about retribution for SOPA and PIPA, even if they don't get passed, the fact that they've gotten as far as they did is by itself worthy of retribution.

How would you suggest musicians/actors/etc. get paid for their work?

I don't know, and for that I'm sorry. I bear no ill will towards the actual artists, but something has to be done about their corporate masters, and I don't foresee any any magical means making itself available to take down or even slightly weaken the RIAA and MPAA without any collateral damage. In my eye, however, the important thing is that the forseeable collateral damage is less than the damage that the RIAA and MPAA will do if left unchecked. Is nearly impossible to kill the king without capturing a few pawns.

I love that.  "Collateral damage".  It sounds so harmless.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Let's just try that out, shall we?

QuoteATTN, ARTISTS:  YOU must quit and go back to bussing tables, so that I may continue to enjoy the freedom of taking your work for nothing.

Or how about:

QuoteI demand free downloads until nobody bothers making new music.

Or better yet:

QuoteIf you were a REAL artist, you'd do this for the sheer love of it, and not make me pay for your work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 02:14:36 AM
Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 20, 2012, 01:53:37 AM
Ech im pretty sure at this point hes not actually going to answer our questions. I think hes just trying to justify his sense of entitlement to free entertainment as some sort noble crusade and that musicians should just suck it up.

This is about the potential for things like SOPA and PIPA to completely fuck up things like Wikipedia and about weakening the companies that support such legislation. I am not in theory opposed to paying for entertainment, but I propose to flood the market with free entertainment to weaken the massively corrupt companies that control the entertainment industry at the current time.

So fucking get on it.  I expect 20 albums out of you by tomorrow.

ETA:  Or did you mean you were just going to steal from lots of people?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 19, 2012, 01:37:28 AM
If "Hollywood" has such grand ambitions, perhaps it should get a little practice and start out by destroying some small backwater African country first. Maybe by causing an earthquake.

What I'm trying to say is, Hollywood needs to shake Djibouti.

:crankey:

MY VENGEANCE WILL BE A THING OF LEGEND!

Lord Cataplanga

I think you guys are wrong in attributing SOPA and PIPA to the sheer malice and evilness of evil corporations.
It's more like Triple Zero said, that MPAA is not being evil, but is instead being stupid and desperate.

I mean, if this was about a crazy conspiracy trying to control the flow of information or whatever, Google would have supported those laws.

Most likely this is exactly what it looks like, and they really believed those crazy laws would reduce piracy, and didn't care about the side effects.

East Coast Hustle

ECH's 1st Law: Never attribute to intentional evil that which can be explained by stupidity or incompetence.

ECH's 1st Corollary: 98% of humanity is either stupid or incompetent.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 04:33:51 AM
ECH's 1st Law: Never attribute to intentional evil that which can be explained by stupidity or incompetence.

ECH's 1st Corollary: 98% of humanity is either stupid or incompetent.

YOIKED

Lord Cataplanga

Don't just take my word or ECH's for it:
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/27/the-coming-war-on-general-purp.html

In this video, Cory Doctorow carefully explains exactly how much of an idiot the entertainment industry can be.
If you don't have time for a 55 minutes video, just read the transcriptions at the bottom of the article.