News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Schools now have M16s

Started by Sita, September 18, 2014, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sita

Do the officers in the schools really need M16s? I'd think a pistol would be enough.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/26561770/pinellas-schools-police-buys-m16-rifles
Quote"It's necessary for the officers to have the tools to be able to safely deploy and take care of the threats that are occurring in our schools without having to get so close to a terrible threat that they put other students or themselves in harm's way before they can take the necessary action to stop the threat," the chief explained Wednesday afternoon.

He declined to say how the rifles will be stored on a dozen school campuses, but claimed they will be both secure and "quickly accessible."

The department is still developing a training and deployment program, but expects to have the first weapons in service by Thanksgiving.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

LMNO

I don't see how anything could go wrong with this plan.

hooplala

I dunno... I'm pretty anti-gun, but did you see the hardware those two assholes brought to Columbine? Or have you seen what some people wear to their local Walmart?

If the general population are carrying AK47s, what good is a pistol going to do?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on September 18, 2014, 01:08:49 PM
I dunno... I'm pretty anti-gun, but did you see the hardware those two assholes brought to Columbine? Or have you seen what some people wear to their local Walmart?

If the general population are carrying AK47s, what good is a pistol going to do?

Well for starters, you can shoot yourself in the foot during class.

Cain

I believe another school district recieved an APC the other day.

Also, this has nothing to do with protecting schools.  This has everything to do with the US military having so much surplus material, due to a corrupt and inefficient purchasing system (aka "the military-industrial complex") that to recoup losses it must push them down the chain of bodies with the authority to use deadly force.  The NYPD already has more military hardware than some African states, so obviously the next place to hawk expensive weapons of death is to school districts.

It's not like that money could be put to any other good use, like, say education, anyway.

hooplala

Ok sure, that makes sense. But realistically, if you are working security in a US school, where shootings seem to occur with alarming regularity, which would you rather be packing?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Honestly?  If I was working security in a US school, I would really, really want a flamethrower a pistol.  They're easily portable, concealable, have a load more saftey lock options (even biometrics, which is ultra cool), and considering the extremely improbable chance of a Columbine-level event happening, all that's really needed.  If that, even.

Aw, who am I kidding?  Gimme the flamethrower!

hooplala

Absolutely flame thrower.

And start with that goddam rope in the gym.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Does it really make a difference?  The major difference between a semi-automatic rifle and a semi-automatic pistol are effective range, magazine size, velocity and the ability to burst-fire.  None of which are really critical factors in that kind of situation.

LMNO

Pragmatically, when it comes to use, I agree.

For me, the pistol has a greater advantage when not in use, aside from being visually intimidating.

hooplala

So... are flamethrowers off the table now?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Yes, because they're clearly a classroom disciplinary tool, not a weapon.

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on September 18, 2014, 01:17:26 PM
Ok sure, that makes sense. But realistically, if you are working security in a US school, where shootings seem to occur with alarming regularity, which would you rather be packing?

Well look, in for a penny in for a pound. All US teachers should be wearing nerve gas vests and deadman switches rigged to their heartbeats.

It's the only way to protect the children.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on September 18, 2014, 03:04:58 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on September 18, 2014, 01:17:26 PM

Well look, in for a penny in for a pound. All US teachers should be wearing nerve gas vests and deadman switches rigged to their heartbeats.

It's the only way to protect the children.

Wow, they turned you to the dark side Faust . . .
do they really have cookies?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber