News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Ethiopian kids teach themselves English, hack OLPCs in 5 months

Started by Lord Cataplanga, November 01, 2012, 03:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Awesome story!
hope we will be as successful as recipients of the OMPS (one monolith per species)

I did the MS-DOS manual thing with the first family PC. i remember the feeling of lugging that thing around in me in middle school, poring over it like some arcane manuscript.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 12, 2012, 02:59:38 PM
Awesome story!
hope we will be as successful as recipients of the OMPS (one monolith per species)

I did the MS-DOS manual thing with the first family PC. i remember the feeling of lugging that thing around in me in middle school, poring over it like some arcane manuscript.
MS-DOS Came with a manual? Ours didn't, it had some Wordperfect hotkeys taped to the screen and the rest was taught by my mom.
Only the basics though, where and how to find the program you wanted to run and how to put stuff on or off discs. For some reason Norton Commander appeared on one of our computers, but i quickly found out that i could not do everything i wanted to do in NC so i found out how to get out of it ASAP. The first computer we had had an orange/black screen and needed to count all its RAM before starting up. On one of the later computers i played GTA. I installed it from about 30 3,5 inch discs, because we had no CD drive.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: :regret: on December 25, 2012, 08:27:29 AM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 12, 2012, 02:59:38 PM
Awesome story!

MS-DOS Came with a manual? Ours didn't, it had some Wordperfect hotkeys taped to the screen and the rest was taught by my mom.
Only the basics though, where and how to find the program you wanted to run and how to put stuff on or off discs. For some reason Norton Commander appeared on one of our computers, but i quickly found out that i could not do everything i wanted to do in NC so i found out how to get out of it ASAP. The first computer we had had an orange/black screen and needed to count all its RAM before starting up. On one of the later computers i played GTA. I installed it from about 30 3,5 inch discs, because we had no CD drive.

Ours did. It was a three-binder set.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."