News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Cake!

Started by Muir, February 09, 2010, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muir

When I was a kid (read 11-15 years old) I used to bake cookies, cakes, cupcakes, muffins, etc all the time and was actually pretty good at it.  Fast forward a few years...and...I lost it.  The last time I attempted to bake a "proper" cake it exploded in the oven (I have no clue how, please don't ask).

This past weekend, I decided to try a recipe a friend gave me.  He said it was "foolproof" and it turned out beautifully! (Much to my surprise)

So here is "Sponge Cake in 3 Steps"

Step one:  Sift 4 oz. self-raising flour and 1 tsp baking powder in a large mixing bowl.

Step two:  Throw in 4 oz. soft butter (or margarine) at room temperature, 4 oz caster sugar, 2 large eggs, 2-3  drops pure vanilla essence and mix well until soft and gloopy.

Step three: Empty into a lightly-greased 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin and put in a 325 F oven for about 30 minutes.  Remove from tin and let cool on a wire rack.

----

Does anyone else have any really simple "never fail" cake recipes?   
Remember, there are no stupid questions - but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...

AFK

Yes, get someone else to make you a cake. 

Sit.  Eat.  Enjoy!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Q. G. Pennyworth

No, but I have a foolproof peanut butter cookie one.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I'm not allowed to use the oven after the Totino's Pizza IncidentTM but this looks like fun. I shall relay recipe to She-Who-Mans-The-Kitchen.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

nagaina

Quote from: Muir on February 09, 2010, 11:11:25 AMDoes anyone else have any really simple "never fail" cake recipes?

I do, I do :)
so you mix 4 eggs with 1 1/2 cups of sugar (one cup = 200gr. or 7 oz), one cup of yogurt (sour cream could work as well) and you put one teaspoon with baking soda in the yogurt, stir good and it goes to the eggs and sugar, all that should be stirred for a minute (until it looks good :D) then you put 2 1/2 cup of flour (normal, white), stir, add 3/4 cup of vegetable oil, stir, and at the add some vanilla powder :) the mixtures should be homogeneous, put it in your cake form and bake for.. 180C in the oven.. that should be 355F I guess.. for about 45-50 min :) I really can't cook, and almost every recipe I try is a failure, but this one just works :D you can also split the mixture in two, and put some cocoa in one of the halves, so you'll have a black and white cake :)

Hope I've helped :)
Shame on you for thinking you're an exception.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mmmmmmmm,, marblecake  :lulz:

navkat

Sandra Lee's Semi-Home Made Kwanzaa cake?

AFK

Nigerian Yellow Cake? 

navkat

Oh, squishy, springy cake. I love you.

AFK

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 08, 2012, 12:32:35 AM
Nigerian Yellow Cake?

Oh come on, this was funny!  Laugh fuckers!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Since moving to Turkey the biggest issue I've found with baking is the odd measurements. "One water glass of flour", "One tea glass of milk" etc.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

navkat

LMNO

DocS

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 27, 2012, 08:56:44 PM
Yes, get someone else to make you a cake. 
Ya, just told my girl how to make it. Right after the Steak.