News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Faust, this one's for you

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 30, 2015, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

There's a whole bunch of stuff to respond to in this thread, but the thing I hit reply for was to say that AES is still considered viable by most people. It's at least considered as secure as it was pre-Snowden. For context, I've been working in security for telcos, financial institutions and government agencies for the last ten months (consulting and offensive testing, part of the reason why I haven't had many updates on what I'm doing) and frequently use AES-256. That's not to say that it's impossible that data encrypted using AES-256 to be read by an actor with the resources of a nation-state, but that I think they would be exploiting as-yet-undetected errors in implementation, rather than deliberate weaknesses in the algorithm.

AES and PGP are typically used for different purposes. AES is a symmetric-key algorithm, which means that the encryption and decryption functions use the same key. If you want to share AES-encrypted data, you need to provide the recipient your key. Anyone in possession of this key can read and write to the conversation between you and this other party.

PGP is slower but uses asymmetric-key crypto as well as symmetric. The result of which is that someone can encrypt a message using one key (your public key) and even if everyone else knows this key as well, they cannot use it to decrypt the message. Only your private key can do that. Because of this, it's often better for communications as it ensures that only the intended recipient can read the message and lends itself better to being used to verify the identity of a party in the conversation.

PGP requires both parties to have generated keys and while not super technical, this is not a user-friendly process, resulting in it not being very well adopted by non-tech-folk. To communicate securely with people who do not have a PGP key, I would tend to encrypt it using AES and provide them with the single-use key out-of-band, preferably in person or over the phone/SMS if you're willing to add those networks to the risk register.

Pæs

And if you want your online marketplace to facilitate illegal transactions, don't roll your own custom shit in PHP and throw it on top of an experimental anonymous network with an increasing number of design weaknesses being identified then call that a day.

Pæs

Also don't keep a detailed journal of your criminal exploits. Honestly, Ulbricht was a bit of a fool who benefited from a black swan in his terrible marketplace gaining notoriety. He got all wrapped up in the theatre of being a mastermind, totally failing to actually cover his ass and they caught him with his laptop open, logged into Silk Road admin panel. You couldn't own yourself any harder.

Cain

The dude called himself The Dread Pirate Roberts.

He may as well have called himself Lupine McLoneWolfmaster, his chances of not being a self-aggrandizing dickbag were so perishingly low.

Pæs

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2015, 03:07:14 AM

He may as well have called himself Lupine McLoneWolfmaster, his chances of not being a self-aggrandizing dickbag were so perishingly low.
:lulz: Exactly this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2015, 03:07:14 AM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 01, 2015, 10:34:05 PM
It just so happens the government uses AES a lot, so I would use that with [as random as you can make them] salts and seeds, as well as making sure the key is as random as you can make it, while also making it long enough for a hash cracker to be useless. As far as I know, if you can get ahold of a hash of a small enough key, you can just bruteforce the hash and get the key easily. But, because the size of any hash is cut off, only part of the key could even be recovered if you got ahold of a hash for a very long key. Or, it would be a useless chain of characters, depending on whether length had anything to do with the hash encryption algorithm. I forget exactly how that works.

I'm not sure what you're trying to communicate here. You seem to be conflating hashing and encryption and misunderstanding both.

minuspace

[Re: Pidgeon malfunction]

POFP

Quote from: Pæs on June 06, 2015, 11:24:59 AM
It just so happens the government uses AES a lot, so I would use that with [as random as you can make them] salts and seeds, as well as making sure the key is as random as you can make it, while also making it long enough for a hash cracker to be useless. As far as I know, if you can get ahold of a hash of a small enough key, you can just bruteforce the hash and get the key easily. But, because the size of any hash is cut off, only part of the key could even be recovered if you got ahold of a hash for a very long key. Or, it would be a useless chain of characters, depending on whether length had anything to do with the hash encryption algorithm. I forget exactly how that works.

I'm not sure what you're trying to communicate here. You seem to be conflating hashing and encryption and misunderstanding both.

Probably. Hence, why I prefaced it with "I forget exactly how it works." Sorry about the laziness. I'll get back to this when I have time.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 07, 2015, 12:37:50 AM

Probably. Hence, why I prefaced it with "I forget exactly how it works." Sorry about the laziness. I'll get back to this when I have time.

I think you meant to preface it with "I have no real idea what I'm talking about".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2015, 03:13:45 AM

I think you meant to preface it with "I have no real idea what I'm talking about".
Nigel, I love it when you are Nigeling someone who is not me.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 07, 2015, 11:10:38 PM

Nigel, I love it when you are Nigeling someone who is not me.

:lulz:

POFP

Well, that wouldn't be completely true. I did know at one point, back when I was consistently studying in the field. I just don't know now. Hence the term "forget."
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 09, 2015, 01:59:59 AM

Well, that wouldn't be completely true. I did know at one point, back when I was consistently studying in the field. I just don't know now. Hence the term "forget."

God I hope you come back and reread these posts in five years. You're adorable.

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 09, 2015, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 09, 2015, 01:59:59 AM

God I hope you come back and reread these posts in five years. You're adorable.

I do know what it's like to see the absurdities in the writings of my former self. However, I don't see how that part of that post could be considered funny in the future. But, then again, maybe that's the point. Kinda hope you're right, because I may need a laugh depending on where I'm at in 5 years.