News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Question for people involved in social and humanities: software

Started by The Johnny, June 04, 2014, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Like, have you people ever used qualitative analysis programs (NVivo, MAXQDA) that you could recommend?

I personally think NVivo is utter garbage, but MAXQDA seems very user friendly, ofc thats only from experience from using their Demos for like 5 days and im gonna be working with material of over 1000 pages, so any suggestion is welcome.

I dont have much experience using this kind of software, everything ive done "by hand" so to speak (Word, copy paste much) and with materials of 200ish pages at most.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

I've heard good things about MAXQDA and Atlas.ti

That said, I don't really use any social sciences software.  I tend to be more quantitative in my approach, which means deriving the numbers is usually easier, and then I can use Word and Excel, and maybe a calculator, to do the rest.

The Johnny

Aha! Yes ive heard of Atlas.ti but i had forgotten about it! I should get the demo and test it out.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner