Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 12, 2015, 04:49:57 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 12, 2015, 04:20:10 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 12, 2015, 01:51:10 AM
Im posting from the classroom I'm TAing in. Because i'm all out of fucks for the term.

That's pretty consistent with my experience with TAs

If you had to hear the stupid-ass excuses people shove at us for why they are incompetent and lazy, you'd be out of fucks too.

One student walked out of class today, actually angry because the final isn't open book. "That's bullshit, man. Some of us smoke a lot of pot".

Like I give a fuck.

What a douche!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

So I've been sitting in a hotel lobby for over an hour waiting on my friend's slimeball manager to show for his shift and relieve her. He has some unknown person put up in a room under his name, has been sexually soliciting his employees, is several kinds of drug abuser, and assorted other forms of fraud and negligence.

Is also maybe an arsonist and at least criminally negligent. He was fired some weeks ago and 4 days later there was a dryer fire and the owner rehired him to handle it... not sure why. Our QA in the laundry department was called by our mutual vendor to look at the dryer. I saw the photos. Bad wiring, taped down start button, linnen in the vent, and a load of sheets that caught fire. Can't say it was him or that there was intent, but I'm certainly unable to rule it out.

For the last few days I've been on the fence over whether or not to apply to the owner personally for his job. Today has me ready to kick him into a mechanical meat separator.

Oh he's here now... great. And me without my meat separator.  :kingmeh:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Im posting from the classroom I'm TAing in. Because i'm all out of fucks for the term.

If you had to hear the stupid-ass excuses people shove at us for why they are incompetent and lazy, you'd be out of fucks too.

One student walked out of class today, actually angry because the final isn't open book. "That's bullshit, man. Some of us smoke a lot of pot".

Like I give a fuck.

Priorities?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2015, 01:10:40 PM

Like I give a fuck.

Priorities?

Right?

She can smoke as much pot as she wants, I don't give any shits, fucks, OR damns. But if she's high as fuck all the time and can't remember enough from the class (which she rarely attends) to pass the final, that would be 100% not my problem.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Give em the cruelest open book exam you can.

Our lecturers hated having to do open book exams, and were often forced to if it said there would be a certain amount of them scheduled in the syllabus from the previous year.

We had a networking exam that suffered from it so he gave us the meanest thing he could:

We were handed an A4 sheet of ASCII chars and all the question stated was "decipher as much information as you can from this"
Most of us got it, it was an encapsulated http packet and all we really need was source IP, port destination, that it was http and that it read "Hello world"

But the first 10 minutes of that exam were horrible, just sitting looking at this scrambled mess without a clue what it meant and a sinking feeling that we were going to get 0%.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

:sad: Well YMMV but my world feels a bit tighter and less fun today

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

I don't know whether he fell or whether he was pushed but he is surely going to be missed in Ankh Morpork, or not
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on March 12, 2015, 02:16:26 PM
Give em the cruelest open book exam you can.

Our lecturers hated having to do open book exams, and were often forced to if it said there would be a certain amount of them scheduled in the syllabus from the previous year.

We had a networking exam that suffered from it so he gave us the meanest thing he could:

We were handed an A4 sheet of ASCII chars and all the question stated was "decipher as much information as you can from this"
Most of us got it, it was an encapsulated http packet and all we really need was source IP, port destination, that it was http and that it read "Hello world"

But the first 10 minutes of that exam were horrible, just sitting looking at this scrambled mess without a clue what it meant and a sinking feeling that we were going to get 0%.

:lulz: That's brilliant.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on March 12, 2015, 02:23:43 PM
:sad: Well YMMV but my world feels a bit tighter and less fun today

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

I don't know whether he fell or whether he was pushed but he is surely going to be missed in Ankh Morpork, or not

I fucking hate that disease. It's terrifying. He was far too young.

Cainad (dec.)

Like I give a fuck.

I thought I understood the concept of entitlement, but... Clearly I was unenlightened.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on March 12, 2015, 02:33:19 PM

Like I give a fuck.

I thought I understood the concept of entitlement, but... Clearly I was unenlightened.

There was also a student who "couldn't" turn in homework all term because her "printer wasn't working". Apparently she also couldn't figure out how to email it to herself at school, save it on Google Drive, use Dropbox, or just do her fucking work on the free computers with free printing at school.

Once again, these are things that are not my problem.

Demolition Squid

Terry Pratchett died.

This year can pretty much eat a dick at this point.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 12, 2015, 02:39:49 PM

Like I give a fuck.

There was also a student who "couldn't" turn in homework all term because her "printer wasn't working". Apparently she also couldn't figure out how to email it to herself at school, save it on Google Drive, use Dropbox, or just do her fucking work on the free computers with free printing at school.

Jesus Christ.  That was practically what I lived for during my Uni years.  Every single day, I was making multiple trips to the library and back, emailing stuff to myself and printing it off.  If we'd had WiFi back then, it would have been even easier.

Your students sound derpier than most of mine.  And I didn't think that was possible, especially after the "Beer Fairy" incident.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prince-of-Plots on March 12, 2015, 02:45:26 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 12, 2015, 02:39:49 PM

Like I give a fuck.

Jesus Christ.  That was practically what I lived for during my Uni years.  Every single day, I was making multiple trips to the library and back, emailing stuff to myself and printing it off.  If we'd had WiFi back then, it would have been even easier.

Your students sound derpier than most of mine.  And I didn't think that was possible, especially after the "Beer Fairy" incident.

:lulz: I might need to hear more about this "beer fairy" incident.

Some of my students are brilliant, together, fantastic students who work hard and will go far. Some of them are not particularly intelligent, but they work hard, do the assignments, and will be happy to pass the class with the best grade that is within their capability.

And then there are the rest of them. Many of whom I wonder how the hell they made it to upper-division coursework.