News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Why Do You Think They Call It "Programming"? (Part 1)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 24, 2011, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 24, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
This is true, reminds me of what I read in No Logo, about how before the 80s, advertisements were actually claiming their product (say, laundry detergent) was objectively better than another brand and really did clean your laundry better, because they were still developing stuff (or because they were just claiming it was better). It was not until the 80s [perhaps a littlebit earlier] that they started targeting advertisements at the brands instead, changing the message from "our product is better than product X" into "buying our product will make you happy", "will make you cool like these people", "our product makes you better".

I haven't had a chance to read that, yet.

But let me ask you...What was on the cover?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

President Television

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 24, 2011, 10:42:27 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on January 24, 2011, 07:35:31 PM
Living without television has been liberating.  It frees you.  I can't stand television.  I can't bear to face the reality that there are people who watch commercials.

It's a good thing to have done for a while, "detox" for a month or two. It really felt like that, for me. My old TV broke down many years ago and I was too lazy to get a new one. It felt like getting rid of that tough bit of meat between your teeth, like mental floss.

But nowadays I watch TV every now and then. Usually just when my gf turns it on though.

I gotta admit, Internet is just as bad for me, if not worse, because you are actually engaged in it, doing stuff, even if not accomplishing anything.

That article explains a lot, especially about my own personality and why I have a tendency to excel whenever I first attempt something, then suck at it later on.
It occurs to me that munchkins are essentially mastery-oriented RPG players; their concern is not with their characters' in-universe achievements but with their own achievements at manipulating the game system to their ends.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Unqualified on January 25, 2011, 12:21:20 AM
Living without television has been liberating.  It frees you.  I can't stand television.  I can't bear to face the reality that there are people who watch commercials.

It's a good thing to have done for a while, "detox" for a month or two. It really felt like that, for me. My old TV broke down many years ago and I was too lazy to get a new one. It felt like getting rid of that tough bit of meat between your teeth, like mental floss.

But nowadays I watch TV every now and then. Usually just when my gf turns it on though.

I gotta admit, Internet is just as bad for me, if not worse, because you are actually engaged in it, doing stuff, even if not accomplishing anything.

That article explains a lot, especially about my own personality and why I have a tendency to excel whenever I first attempt something, then suck at it later on.
It occurs to me that munchkins are essentially mastery-oriented RPG players; their concern is not with their characters' in-universe achievements but with their own achievements at manipulating the game system to their ends.

And that's a good thing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2011, 12:24:02 AM
Quote from: Unqualified on January 25, 2011, 12:21:20 AM

And that's a good thing.

Of course it is. I'm seeing it all in a totally new light, is what I'm saying. Applying new filters and all that.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Johnny

And this is why i like to play old Starcraft:Broodwars.

I get my ass handed to me every single time by a superior South Korean opponent, and it is a truly humbling experience to know that fine motor skills and hand eye coordination, or actions per minute or discipline in the build order are not culturally fomented in latin speaking countries.

But i try, by the Overmind i swear i try...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

President Television

After reading that article, I think I'm going to finally start putting some effort into music. I love it more than anything else, and I've always hated myself on some level for not being as good at it as I thought I should be. Now I understand why. I gave up too fast.

Juana

I'm working on being performance oriented. I am, when it comes to speech and debate, but I got the "wow you must be smart!" as a kid and sauntered through high school without actually needing to do more than pay attention in class. Bit me in the ass in college.

TV hasn't been a huge part of my life for most of it. I grew up watching Lassie and Ren and Stimpy and old Merrie Melody cartoons while my mom, who worked a night job, slept in the mornings, but after my parents split and my mom wasn't getting home at four am everyday, that stopped. I still watched a lot of the Simpsons and Antiques Roadshow as I got older, but that was it, really. We didn't have cable, and the cartoons I would have liked to watch weren't on anymore. Then I got a laptop when I started college and I watched even less. I still watch Antiques Roadshow sometimes, or part of House or Community or the Office, but I don't think I've watched a whole TV show in years and my TV time adds up to maybe a few hours a year.

TV, does, I think, have its place as a cultural medium. My friends and I reminisce about Freakazoid and it provides connection to my parents, who joke about Foghorn Leghorn or Elmer Fudd sometimes. I get it, because I watched those old cartoons. My sisters are left in the dark, wondering why it's funny.
I think the issue is intelligent TV versus drivel. Freakazoid is fucking brilliant and Foghorn Leghorn is wonderful. Hannah Montana and Phil of the Future are brain dissolvers.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Johnny

There is nothing more performance oriented than...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IWannaBeTheFangame

or i swear to the Elder Gods, playing Starcraft vs. South Koreans... i cant even begin to stress this point... from 9:30 to 11:30 on one can only be humbled by the precision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIhNRXOsnlU
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2011, 05:49:39 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 24, 2011, 05:38:06 PM

... but the nice man said "don't touch that dial"  :?

Soon he'll be TELLING you not to touch it, and you'LL DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TOLD.

He won't have to. He'll just report that 7 out of 10 people who touch that dial get cancer within 5 years.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

Freeky

Sita

I missed this first time around.
It makes a lot of sense. I don't watch much tv anymore (and what I do watch I've either DVR'd or catch online, so next to no commercials) and really have been the better for it.
Now if only I could somehow convince my parents that the fact I'm not watching many shows isn't a bad thing. If I have to hear one more time how I'm missing all the good stuff because I stopped watching Bones or haven't started watching [insert name of show here] I think I'll scream.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.