News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Unlimited Fedora Appreciation Thread

Started by Cramulus, June 26, 2014, 02:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Everyday i pass a billboard in the highway for fedoras... i froth at the mouth and must contain myself from not veering straight into the gas station and ending it all.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2014, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 26, 2014, 08:16:00 PM
That white one is the single most expensive hat I own. It's like, "Should I even wear this outside?" expensive. Got it for the Kentucky Derby. Hand made in Italy.

I have a serious hat problem.

Fuck.  I know roughly what price range that is in.  You should've settled for a villa in Tuscany instead.

Incidentally, I found out the other day that a LOT of Italian fashion is controlled wholesale by the Comorra organised crime syndicate.  They own the wholesalers, and the tailors.  The latter are mostly illegal immigrants, brought in via the Naples docks and spirited away to the  Campania countryside towns.

I guess this means my suit helped fund organised crime.  Oh well.

Yeah, but at least you look good.

I have three suit destinations: London, Italy, and Hong Kong.

A boy's got to dream, after all.

Cain

I'm fairly sure Savile Row are an organised crime syndicate.  There's no other possible venture they could be sinking that much money into.

LMNO

I was under the impression it's the customers that are sinking their money into it.

When a suit costs more than the rest of the vacation costs combined...

Cain

That's what I mean.  Rents on Mayfair are expensive, but no more so than most of central London.  The materials, while of good quality, are not made of diamond.  The tailors, while well compensated, do not down their needles and go home to palatial mansions in the Kent countryside. 

Either that or they all have gigantic crack cocaine habits.

LMNO

Point.

You're paying for the label, sure, but yeah... where is this money going?

Cainad (dec.)

These trilbydouches sure have a weird (and not-so-subtly racist) idea about what "class" means.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on June 26, 2014, 02:19:15 PM

fun fact

BY THE WAY,
You know this guy?

[knowyourmeme link]

that's the grown up Pugsley Addams! (Jerry Messing)

You are showing two different Pugsleys there, my friend.  The guy saying M'Lady was this Pugsley, in the shitty Tim Curry and Darryl Hannah straight to vid version...

The Pugsley you show above, grew up into this:

I know, nobody cares but me... I'll go hide in my fedora which thinks its a trilby.  Check your hat sexual politics privilege.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I think "fedora" became a thing around the same time everyone decided "bro" was code for "frat-boy rapist".

So late 2012, probably on Twitter.

LMNO

So, anyone who was wearing fedoras in the 20th century gets a pass.

No, wait, they must have been fucking hipsters, doing it before it was cool.

... No, wait, it never became cool.  It actually got less cool.

I'm so confused.  Tumblr, help me!

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dear lord. Those brats have terrible taste.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."