News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Google Wave

Started by Captain Utopia, August 15, 2009, 08:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I scored access. Once I figure out how to invite people, who wants invites? PM me with requests.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Faust

REQUEST.
(ignoring the pm part)
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Telarus

Yeah, I'd dig one too.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Requia ☣

So what do I do with this thing?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

MornTheOrator

I really don't get the appeal of this. I wasted three good invites of some one for this because I am periodically incapable of typing my email address properly and I really don't get this.

You really just multiplayer notepad. Also, it's really some contest of manliness in 'Oeehh, I can type faster than thou.'

Captain Utopia

Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 07:40:03 AM
I really don't get the appeal of this. I wasted three good invites of some one for this because I am periodically incapable of typing my email address properly and I really don't get this.

You really just multiplayer notepad. Also, it's really some contest of manliness in 'Oeehh, I can type faster than thou.'
I haven't got into speed typing contests. I probably have the wrong friends.

Do this search "with:public tag:bip", and you'll see one neat application.

But in general, I'm more excited by the potential it has as a platform for new applications with custom robots and gadgets - most of the work seems to have been put into making the backend flexible and scalable. UI-wise I find it less inspiring, though that said I fully expect it to have alternative UIs (official and unofficial) within six months.

MornTheOrator

Quote from: frictionpiss on November 01, 2009, 01:42:34 PM
Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 07:40:03 AM

I haven't got into speed typing contests. I probably have the wrong friends.
One's typing speed is more important for one's ability to attract women than one's chin, this has been in effect since 5 years, update your file-keeping.
But in general, I'm more excited by the potential it has as a platform for new applications with custom robots and gadgets - most of the work seems to have been put into making the backend flexible and scalable. UI-wise I find it less inspiring, though that said I fully expect it to have alternative UIs (official and unofficial) within six months.
I think I'm going to Knuth this and in 6 years say 'I was one of the first that had Wave, I've been having it since 2009, I'm stopping with it, if you want to contact me send me email.' and check this once a month.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 01:47:03 PM
I think I'm going to Knuth this and in 6 years say 'I was one of the first that had Wave, I've been having it since 2009, I'm stopping with it, if you want to contact me send me email.' and check this once a month.
Put it this way, imagine blogs and news aggregation sites start adding support for using wave for comments. I don't bother commenting on sites like slashdot any more, even though most of my geek-friends check it multiple times a day. But using wave, comments from my geek-friends could bubble up to the top and we could have actual conversations instead of the usual semi-anonymous nerd-bitching which occurs.

In a similar way it can be used to integrate the functionality of twitter/digg/reddit/facebook/etc, with the major benefit being that as it's all open, there is no walled garden - if you want to migrate your wave data from microsoft to yahoo, you can do so.

So at the moment I see it as a value-add for me. But if, like Knuth, your goal is to absolutely minimise your contact with other filthy humans, then yeah - you'd probably want to avoid wave.

MornTheOrator

Quote from: frictionpiss on November 01, 2009, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 01:47:03 PM
Put it this way, imagine blogs and news aggregation sites start adding support for using wave for comments. I don't bother commenting on sites like slashdot any more, even though most of my geek-friends check it multiple times a day. But using wave, comments from my geek-friends could bubble up to the top and we could have actual conversations instead of the usual semi-anonymous nerd-bitching which occurs.

In a similar way it can be used to integrate the functionality of twitter/digg/reddit/facebook/etc, with the major benefit being that as it's all open, there is no walled garden - if you want to migrate your wave data from microsoft to yahoo, you can do so.

So at the moment I see it as a value-add for me. But if, like Knuth, your goal is to absolutely minimise your contact with other filthy humans, then yeah - you'd probably want to avoid wave.
I'm not quite sure what his goals are. I hate TeX and LaTeX alike though, I want it replaced by an XML standard for structure and some CSS or XSLT/FO thing perhaps for looks.

I hate it because it assumes that all people find the same things 'optimally readable', and that is why I like to reduce contact, or at least until the world has realized that 5.5pt #090909 on #000000 sans monospaced is the way to read.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 02:30:01 PMI want it replaced by an XML standard
:vom:

Then again, I consider brainfuck a reasonably maintainable language.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 02, 2009, 11:26:52 PM
no way that Google is gonna write a rich web application that doesnt make a browser crawl.

ITT: I predict they will. Not only will the pull it off for desktops but for handhelds as well.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Meh. They *may*, but I doubt it will have anything to do with the application. They may just supply a browser and machine that it works nicer on.

Triple Zero

note I said "rich web application".

by which I mean, something running in a browser as a website. using HTML and JavaScript.

so whatever they pull off for desktops, custom browsers, OSes or even machines doesn't count.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm saying they'd cheat.