News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

A visual explanation of one half of the BIP

Started by LMNO, December 09, 2013, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:35:58 PM
In other words, if the same shade of gray is used to represent the illumination of a darker object and the shadow of a lighter object, are those portions of the object really the same color?

If the object exists, then no. Only the color used to represent the two parts of the object are the same.

So this really IS a visual explantion of one half of the BIP.  It's just the other half.  :lulz:

(Also explains chapter 3 of Revelation X)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

I found the video more interesting than the image. The video is a chess board in which one of the dark squares is the same colour as one of the light squares, but one is highlighted and the other is in shade.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 09, 2013, 09:38:07 PM
I found the video more interesting than the image. The video is a chess board in which one of the dark squares is the same colour as one of the light squares, but one is highlighted and the other is in shade.

I'll have to check that out when I get home.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
HOWEVER, in a sense it's a semantical illusion rather than a purely optical one, and it "cheats" by using illumination angles that would, in life, make the top section necessarily darker than the lower section. "techically", it's the same color, but in a sense that isn't really relevant other than being an interesting exercise in perception and interpretation of how we expect things to behave assuming they're subject to the physics of the real world.

Um.

This is the singularly most awesome response to this illusion I've ever seen.

As well as the follow up.

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:35:58 PM
In other words, if the same shade of gray is used to represent the illumination of a darker object and the shadow of a lighter object, are those portions of the object really the same color?

If the object exists, then no. Only the color used to represent the two parts of the object are the same.

Nigel, I'd really love to invite you over for dinner parties at my place.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 10, 2013, 05:00:10 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
HOWEVER, in a sense it's a semantical illusion rather than a purely optical one, and it "cheats" by using illumination angles that would, in life, make the top section necessarily darker than the lower section. "techically", it's the same color, but in a sense that isn't really relevant other than being an interesting exercise in perception and interpretation of how we expect things to behave assuming they're subject to the physics of the real world.

Um.

This is the singularly most awesome response to this illusion I've ever seen.

As well as the follow up.

Nigel, I'd really love to invite you over for dinner parties at my place.

Awww. :) Thanks!

I would hell of love to dinner party at your house.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."