News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Cressing

Started by Placid Dingo, November 15, 2010, 12:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscoRadio

Man, you weren't kidding when you said this was up my alley. You write rather extremely believably as well.

I've had quite a few spurts of unofficial cressing in the past few years. (As I'm sure many on these forums have)

Right now synchronicity acts like wind for me.
Sometimes it's a good day for sailing and sometimes you're just stuck on the beach.

I'd love a way to trigger these sort of intuitive events and decisions and these methods seem promising.
I ordained a cress book today and I am prepared to scribble down whatever my next lead is.
One immediate benefit to simply having the mindset is that I'm feeling much more artistically inclined than I have been lately.

Also, this:
Quote from: Placid Dingo on May 10, 2011, 03:04:46 PM
I think that a good book to use as an inspiration here is the Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. we see a psychiatrist fall into an obsession with embracing chance and randomness. he cheats on his wife, and well, goes COMPLETELY off chops at various points... but this is distracting from the point.
definitely feels like foreshadowing.

Placid Dingo

That's rad!

I didn't think of that bit as foreshadowing at the time, though thematically I want to go to some of those same places.

For the record, Dice Man is totally worth reading.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

navkat

Jesus, Dingo. I started googling "Cressing" and then "Chris Cresswell" before I reached the end to gain some context while I was reading. It wasn't until I reached Kai's comment before I realized why I wasn't finding anything definitive. This is really well done.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, this is some really god stuff.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Danny Muffin

This is awesome! I really like the writing, and the idea itself. When I was pointed toward this thread I was thinking about people creating narratives for their lives, but in a limiting way. People creating (or even passively absorbing) a narrative for themselves, believing it to be definitive version of their life, and getting trapped by it. But it's something everyone does, to some extent, to help give our lives definition.

"The difference is we remember that our narratives are false."

Yes! Love it. I also like the idea of creating a narrative as a way to "move the action forward", as it was put. Great thinking material.

Placid Dingo

Thanks all for the feedback.

I am insanely busy up to July but after that I want to get up to some hardcore creative energy and this is one of the projects I want to hit.

Placid Dingo

Nil

Placid Dingo

Nil

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 02, 2012, 01:58:34 PM
This is awesome. Do you have any plans to write some more longer pieces for it? I love the "journalist gets sucked into the story" narrative (seen it happen to a lot of people in the last couple of years) and I think it would work as a booklet, if there's a good wrapping up point.  Leave it on subway cars or bathroom stalls with the last page talking about "this is your wink" or something. I dunno, it's great writing anyway, I totally bought it until someone mentioned it not being real.

BTW Gorigia, it's all CC, so if you want to do somewthing with it, please feel free.