News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

SLC: Land of Zion, eh?

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, July 18, 2005, 07:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Hell, I'm still living in the same house I was born in.  It's a weird place.  It probably made me what I am.

When I was growing up, all I could think about was how much I wanted to leave.  

But then I left.  And I realised that there are, indeed, worse places.  Sure, there aren't as many Mormons in other places, and the weather might be nicer, but it's really not the same.  As weird as this place is, with all of the repression, frustrating politics, gratuitous prejudice, etc, I can still...work better here.

Perhaps it's because I'm a freak no matter where I go.  I can't help but be an individual, a shark among the guppies.  I'm used to getting stares.  But at least, in good ol' Utah, it's a certain kind of stare, a certain of individuality.  I understand the people around me, the Mormons, the ex-Mormons, the anti-Mormons, the bewildered transplants.  

I'm a better mindfuck here than anywhere else.  It truly is a land of opportunity.

Besides, I couldn't live without my precious mountains.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

the other anonymous

Yea, I hear that, all the way across the country in Pittsburgh, PA.

Except:
s/Mormon/Steelers Fan/g
s/freak/disinterested geek/g
s/disinterested geek/terrorist who hates america/g (yea, that was a fun conversation; good thing he was drunk and I was running downhill)

A friend of mine left recently. She met some kid who was back-packing up to Maine from some back-water red state and after two weeks or so decided to pack up and talk him into New Orleans. (I'm still waiting for her to get into a fight with him, realize that it's impossible to make up with someone whose already three states away going where he wants instead of where she wants, and come crawling back to her friends for financial support and food.)

The major complaint about this town seems to be that it's boring. I mean, who the hell needs clubs and concerts and a thriving art scene? For Goddess's sake, just log the fuck on!

Of course, the BeeHive beats the hell out of any lame-ass phpBB message board anyday. (The coffee's much better 'cuz it's not virtual! :P )

Malaul

beehive = excellent coffee
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Zurtok Khan

I didn't know you lived in Utah, Badger.  We shall have to hook up.  I shall PM you.

And, I know what you're talking about...you get that certain stare from the people here.  That special one that you could never find anywhere else.

Hehehehehe
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Kinda makes me want to go to Utah, then again I might blend in too much to draw any attention.  :?
NINJA DISCORDIAN STYLE!

One-Eyed Thayne Magee

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God
Besides, I couldn't live without my precious mountains.
this is true. there are no mountains like the ones in utah
we will march down the road with boners!

hey! i can't find my glass eye.
where's my eye?
can't find it without it.
shit!  i think i caulked my eye.