PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Favourite/ Least favourite STAR WARS character

Started by OPTIMUS PINECONE, November 07, 2008, 09:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

hooplala

Greedo has always been a favourite of mine as well.  I forgot to mention that.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Ahh, the blue elephant guy.  Yeah, he seemed like a cool cat.  Did he get replaced with a CG version in the Special Edition RotJ?  I know they CGd the singer/lady/alien thing, which was quite lame.  I mean, yeah, yeah, so you can see the strings making the puppet move, but it was okay, it worked. 

All of that CG crap they added into the original trilogies was just stupid.  It was horribly out of place.  Splicing in 90s movie making technology into late 70s/early 80s movie making technology.  Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!  :argh!:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

I believe Max made it through unscathed... Sy, on the other hand... not so lucky.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Left Max Rebo alone...CG'd the fuck out of Sy Snootles and changed her song, which ruined my childhood since Lapti Pek rules, but they added more scenes of Boba Fett pimping.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

shadowfurry23

I'm'a change my vote.

Frankly pretty much none of my circle of friends liked the new Clone Wars animated film, but some of y'all seem to have liked it so here I am giving it a shot.  My wife is out for the evening - she loves the 'Wars, but can't take the prequels.  I have a higher tolerance.

We're Trek folk, really.  Friend of ours said something I found interestingly profound: Any given Star Trek ep could always be a little bit better than it is.  I'm trying to apply that here.  I mean, "Encounter at Farpoint" is not exactly the best Trek evar; Clone Wars is a series, it'll evolve.

There's stuff to like.  There's some promising characterization.  A lot of the animation is wooden, but it has some pretty slick fights.  I had a little trouble getting used to the animation style....  Ahsoka is by far my favourite character though, I almost see watching the series just for her.  Most folks came across like total caricatures but they're just introducing them again so that's to be expected.  Perhaps someday Obi Wan will express an emotion beyond sardonicBritish.  And even Dooku, handicapped as he is by having the stupidest bad-guy name ever, wasn't too bad.

But I just cannot stand those little "roger-roger" war droids. 

I hate them.  They are bad guys made to be impossible to be afraid of, deliberately.  Their voices, especially when they're being 'stupid' (i.e. almost always) make me cringe.  The moment where one falls off a cliff, screams "Oh my god!" before being blown to bits, and the other says "Get back here Sgt!" made me want to throw things at the screen.  And yet they are The Enemy - they die, and they kill.  In fact, they kill a lot of guys -  that they're mostly the same guy though, and that there's always a bunch more of him around makes it hard to feel sorry about those deaths too, detaches us from them.  I hate that he retconned Stormtroopers in to being somehow worth less than a real person.

The Star Wars prequels pointedly dehumanize war, and they do it on an industrial scale.  It's a part of The Con.  It's a sweet treat that contains a poison meme.  And I hate that about it, hate it all the more because I love the original 'Wars, they're a part of me.  And I swear by Eris I'll kick George Lucas in the balls for doing it if I ever get within 10 feet of him*.

I want to be able to like Clone Wars, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get past that.

Yeah yeah.  I'm fuckin old now, I know?  Quoth MC Frontalot:

"Is there anything sadder than a dork
for whom the new hotness is not just inaccessible,
it's grumbled against? You kids, reduce your decibels!"

* sigh, no, i don't swear that, i'm a big ole' coward and really too polite a person to do that.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Jenne

Good points, actually.  I hadn't thought of that angle before, but it really makes a lot of sense.

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Suu on November 16, 2008, 10:03:41 PM
Favorite: Ysanne "Iceheart" Isard
Least Fave: Jacen Solo as Darth Caedus.

Yes, Expanded Universe, so suck my dick.

I guess movie-wise my favorite would have to be Wedge Antilles and my least favorite Jar-Jar only on the annoyabity factor, as in the  EU he's much more involved with the state of things and becomes Senator of the Chommel Sector after Padme dies.

So why Ysanne Isard? Because as far as crazy Imperials go, she's at the top of the list. She was an advocate of torture, brainwashing, germ warfare, racism...everything you DON'T want in a leader in the real world wrapped up into this sexy evil package.

Not going to lie, if Lucas would recognize the books as full canon, the Imperial Remnant would have been MUCH FUCKING BETTER MOVIES than the Republic. Isard, Zsinj, Daala, and Thrawn make Palpatine look like a fucking pussy. If anything, at least just the Thrawn Trilogy, which is pretty much 7, 8, and 9 anyway.

As for Jacen Solo as Caedus, I blame it on bad writing and planning. Here's a character that had a ridiculous amount of potential as a Sith Lord, and you let Karen Traviss and Troy Denning write. Denning is okay, he tends to be dry, but Traviss can go back to fanfic land as far as I'm concerned. Her meaningless injections of Mandalorians and especially Boba Fett into every story while making herself a Mary Sue as some female character (Daala? REALLY?! WHY!!!!!!!!) to fuck said Mandalorians esp. Fett makes me sick.

Also, Jacen getting his ass handed to him by Jaina, who's idea was that? Because Han and Leia didn't have to deal with enough shit during the Yuuzhan Vong when both Anakin Solo and Chewbacca bite the dust, you had to go and have one twin kill the other. And then leaving Jacen's daughter, who no one knew existed considering the entire family can use the Force, in the custody of her grandparents because she was illegitimate and if the Hapan court found out, shit would hit the fan. How the hell did Tenel Ka hide her for 5 years anyway? Fuck.

Legacy of the Force should have ran like The New Jedi Order. Lots of authors with lots of storylines focusing around the same time period. 9 books by 3 authors made it too abrupt.

Suu, my mittens arent big wnough for this post.

As for me, my favorites are Nom Anor, and Jacen during the Yuuzhan Vong War and the first couple books of Legacy of the Force.  Lumiyas cool too.

Least favorite, Jar Jar and Padme.  Shes hella annoying.  If I was Anakin I'da killed her too.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

hooplala

Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 26, 2008, 07:04:14 AMI hate that he retconned Stormtroopers in to being somehow worth less than a real person.

It's still up for debate as far as I am concerned as to whether all stormtroopers are clones.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Manta Obscura

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 26, 2008, 06:41:46 PM
Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 26, 2008, 07:04:14 AMI hate that he retconned Stormtroopers in to being somehow worth less than a real person.

It's still up for debate as far as I am concerned as to whether all stormtroopers are clones.

Yeah, if they're supposed to be well-trained clones of a really good bounty hunter, then I would demand my money back from the cloner people, because stormtroopers can't hit shit.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

shadowfurry23

An excellent point.

I'm used to inventing reasons for plot holes/weaknesses in Trek (an amusing mental exercise - I can explain away well over half the shit in "The Nit-Picker's Guide To Star Trek") but I'm not as experienced doing so with Star Wars.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Really? I thought the clonishness was part of the S.T. premise. Is their a volunteer branch or something?
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 26, 2008, 08:40:32 PM

An excellent point.

I'm used to inventing reasons for plot holes/weaknesses in Trek (an amusing mental exercise - I can explain away well over half the shit in "The Nit-Picker's Guide To Star Trek") but I'm not as experienced doing so with Star Wars.

At least within the film series, the story inconsistencies are hilarious. The presence of C3-PO & R2 in the pre-quels, their relationship to both Anakin and OBI-WAN then magically erased in "A NEW HOPE", WOW
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley