News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

What is The Machine™

Started by LMNO, July 19, 2006, 12:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Jesus fuck.

Cain, that was a terrifyingly awesome string of posts.

BadBeast

Yeah great set of posts. Really put my mind at rest.   :tinfoilhat: (I can feel The Fear twitching in it's sleep) 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Cain

I am wondering if I should start a new thread for this kind of thing, though.  This thread seemed devoted to a more theoretical discussion, whereas these are more practical examples of power perpetuating itself and shaping society through that.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2010, 04:09:26 AM
I am wondering if I should start a new thread for this kind of thing, though.  This thread seemed devoted to a more theoretical discussion, whereas these are more practical examples of power perpetuating itself and shaping society through that.

I say split it, it definitely deserves its own thread.

Got any dates with those excerpts? Especially the MindWar one?

Is that ELF effect real?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

minuspace

I digress, however, calling my brother out cause he don't shine like you made him just is not right ;-)

Jasper

And thus horror becomes loathing.

I do feel ill now.

BadBeast

I think it definitely deserves it's own thread. With a suitably ambiguous title. These people  clearly mean us no good, and seem to have the drop on just about any form of dissent. So how can we sit idly by, and simply speculate on what unutterably evil shit is coming our way? . They offer nothing of any benefit to anyone except themselves, yet espouse words like security, stability, and preservation. I say we need to counter their suckiness and fuckery wherever it shows itself. Send them back to their Masters with a bloody nose.  *Spits* give them The Fear™ for a change. See how they like those apples.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

minuspace

The machine generates heated humans, physically
Otherwise just a bunch of poor posturing fools
Churning out missing links to their own dead-end
Lives cast on the ballast of an old adjusters rules
To remedy horror's influence which levity pretends
Does not serve her interest, leaving in the end.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 19, 2006, 12:56:06 PM
The Machine™ is what makes people send other people to diee for abstractions.

The Machine™ is what drives people to spend 40 hours a week doing tasks they dislike.

The Machine™ is what encourages people to want things they don't need, and makes them feel guilty for not having.

The Machine™ wants you to be in debt to a corporation.

The Machine™ is a punishing father figure.

The Machine™ beats you up for your lunch money.

The Machine™ knows what is RIGHT, and what is WRONG.

What is The Machine™ for you?

The Machine™ is every man, woman, and child on Earth that either supports or makes excuses for the above behavior.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 19, 2006, 12:56:06 PM
What is The Machine™ for you?

The Machine™ is what you become when you stop viewing people as persons.  It is what you become when you decide that a person or group of people is dead to you.  It is what happens to you when you become so jaded that "friend" is defined as "someone who I haven't fucked over yet/hasn't fucked me over yet."

When you collect a bunch of people with these characteristics up, you get THE Machine™, in which each person becomes a tiny cog, smugly self-assured that they WON.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

The Machine must be euthanized,
Or our children it will consume.
It's death is computerized
And so our lives resume

It dies sweet slumber's grace,
Without a moments notice.
The loving still displaced,
Till faces stay erased.

MasterBlaster

QuoteThe phrase, the world wants to be deceived, has become truer than had ever been intended. People are not only, as the saying goes, falling for the swindle; if it guarantees them even the most fleeting gratification they desire a deception which is nonetheless transparent to them. They force their eyes shut and voice approval, in a kind of self-loathing, for what is meted out to them, knowing fully the purpose for which it is manufactured. Without admitting it they sense that their lives would be completely intolerable as soon as they no longer clung to satisfactions which are none at all.
-- Adorno, Culture Industry Reconsidered

The Machine is the framework wherein weakness, ignorance and fear are promoted as social values and then turned into a profit. Of course, some of Its cogs happily defend Its power over reality, because they see personal gain in it. Others simply play along, because it would be too scary to stop being a loyal little sprocket. And so, we came to a point where It was created by us, puny humans, but it has outgrown us. The Machine is its own machinist.

minuspace

Quote from: MasterBlaster on September 09, 2014, 01:46:50 AM
QuoteThe phrase, the world wants to be deceived, has become truer than had ever been intended. People are not only, as the saying goes, falling for the swindle; if it guarantees them even the most fleeting gratification they desire a deception which is nonetheless transparent to them. They force their eyes shut and voice approval, in a kind of self-loathing, for what is meted out to them, knowing fully the purpose for which it is manufactured. Without admitting it they sense that their lives would be completely intolerable as soon as they no longer clung to satisfactions which are none at all.

The Machine is the framework wherein weakness, ignorance and fear are promoted as social values and then turned into a profit. Of course, some of Its cogs happily defend Its power over reality, because they see personal gain in it. Others simply play along, because it would be too scary to stop being a loyal little sprocket. And so, we came to a point where It was created by us, puny humans, but it has outgrown us. The Machine is its own machinist.
So, what's your part? :lulz:

LMNO

Quote from: LuciferX on September 09, 2014, 07:24:42 AM
Quote from: MasterBlaster on September 09, 2014, 01:46:50 AM

So, what's your part? :lulz:

LuciferX: The stopped clock of Discordia.

Cain

Critique allows the system to steadily adapt in the face of social and technological change, retaining the core characteristics while altering the non-essential in the name of "progress" or "modernisation" or similar.