News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Welcome to the Monkeyhouse #6: Walking With the King

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 24, 2009, 12:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 15, 2010, 02:25:19 PM
Sounds really deep and wise though, don't it?

No.  It sounds like "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".

Fact:  The Truth is what's really happening, whether or not you believe it.  Now, I understand that sometimes there are REAL cases where two observers see two different solutions to the same situation...the "dropping an object out the window of a moving car" example given to describe relativity, for example, where the quarter drops straight down relative to the car, and in a parabola to an observer on the ground...but the quarter drops all the same, and strikes the ground in the same place.

The argument given by the ZOMGCROWLEY crowd is that the quarter only fell period if you believe it, etc...but in the end, you're still out a quarter.  EOS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Template

Unless you got that quarter as part of the change for a three-dollar bill, maybe?

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Template

Then you're still up 2.75 and someone's out 3 bucks on a phony bill.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2010, 03:59:24 PM

Fact:  The Truth is what's really happening, whether or not you believe it.  Now, I understand that sometimes there are REAL cases where two observers see two different solutions to the same situation...the "dropping an object out the window of a moving car" example given to describe relativity, for example, where the quarter drops straight down relative to the car, and in a parabola to an observer on the ground...but the quarter drops all the same, and strikes the ground in the same place.

The argument given by the ZOMGCROWLEY crowd is that the quarter only fell period if you believe it, etc...but in the end, you're still out a quarter.  EOS.
:mittens:

This feels like the perfect antidote to the recent majickqueal threads.

Epimetheus

Maybe "nothing is true, everything is permitted" refers more to thoughts/beliefs than to actions?
considering "true" refers to facts/beliefs rather than doings.

(of course i haven't read whatever the source is for that phrase, so whatever. but that's my two cents)
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on January 15, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

:mittens:

This feels like the perfect antidote to the recent majickqueal threads.

There is no antidote.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 15, 2010, 07:03:27 PM
Maybe "nothing is true, everything is permitted" refers more to thoughts/beliefs than to actions?

(of course i haven't read whatever the source is for that phrase, so whatever. but that's my two cents)

Stop.  We are not having that goddamn conversation in this thread. 

Epimetheus

ok. Anyway

QuoteFact:  The Truth is what's really happening, whether or not you believe it.  Now, I understand that sometimes there are REAL cases where two observers see two different solutions to the same situation...the "dropping an object out the window of a moving car" example given to describe relativity, for example, where the quarter drops straight down relative to the car, and in a parabola to an observer on the ground...but the quarter drops all the same, and strikes the ground in the same place.

:thumb: :thumb: :banana:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Ratssinis

No.  It sounds like "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".

Fact:  The Truth is what's really happening, whether or not you believe it.  Now, I understand that sometimes there are REAL cases where two observers see two different solutions to the same situation...the "dropping an object out the window of a moving car" example given to describe relativity, for example, where the quarter drops straight down relative to the car, and in a parabola to an observer on the ground...but the quarter drops all the same, and strikes the ground in the same place.

The argument given by the ZOMGCROWLEY crowd is that the quarter only fell period if you believe it, etc...but in the end, you're still out a quarter.  EOS.

That wasn't the point, but I can understand how it might have come off that way. The objective was to ride the train-wreck right to the end and not get caught up in all the details along the way. Even if that suggests that your own BIP might supersede reality's 'real'. The thing is people wouldn't BOTHER with BIPs and grids and all that unless it had some bearing on how they or the world interacted with each-other. However slight, its the grain of rice that tips the scale. So maybe its "Everything is true(If you believe in it and it doesn't shit on your house), everything is permitted" eh?

Edit: Look for the brackets.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 15, 2010, 07:03:27 PM

I tend to attribute it to RAW since the first time I saw it in that form was in Illuminatus.  He attributes it to the Hassan Ibn Al Sabah leader of the Hashishim, but everything I have seen on it suggests that is a false attribution.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

NOT HAVING THE FUCKING MAGICKAL DISCUSSION IN THIS FUCKING THREAD.

STOP.  NOW.  THANK YOU.

Ratssinis

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 12:08:35 PM

STOP.  NOW.  THANK YOU.

ur cute.  :D

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratssinis on January 20, 2010, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 12:08:35 PM

STOP.  NOW.  THANK YOU.

ur cute.  :D

So is my dog.  My dog has mange, one eye, and 6 horrible teeth that area all encrusted with dried blood and fur from eating the neighbor's kittens as fast as her 10 un-neutered cats can pump them out.  He also shits on anything that moves slower than he does.

I am similar, only I still have both eyes.  For now.