News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Colbertgasm

Started by Cramulus, January 29, 2008, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

branded with the discordian name .. yes

i considered the -gasm suffix but .. well we can at least claim prior art, we've tagged other stuff on flickr, including colbertgasm.

option two is what's going to happen anyway, even if we don't do anything. oh i just looked up "peabody award", didn't know it was a real award, i thought it was funny cause it said "peabody" :)

that leaves one more question, what's this have to do with doritos? they just sponsor Colbert's show or something?

is the interview with that Clay guy online somewhere? (otherwise i'm gonna have to torrent the ep) never mind it will be in before i finish this post.

anyway i dont think just being generally subversive about it because it was on the colbert show, is going to do the trick. i dont think putting stickers on stuff, even subversively, is going to do much for any cause, people will just dismiss it as "that colbert stuff".

no, we gotta grab this chance to bring discordia into the mainstream media. colbert said he would mention it if anything out of the ordinary would happen he would cover it on his show.

- one outlet is the tagname. we could even have them tag it "discordia".

- other outlet could be the actual stickers. replacing that silly coin with the GASM-logo, for example. then, i dunno, print off a whole shitload of those stickers and hand them out and offer to mail them to the [first 50] colbert forumites?

- doing obvious discordian things with the stickers, like i dunno, pasting a lot of them in the shape of a sacred chao. but then we'd have to do that ourselves, and it would fail to leverage the viral aspect we can gain from popularizing the Flickr tagging (btw this is slightly time-critical, because it's not too far-fetched that someone might come up with exactly this idea--without slapping a brand onto it)

didn't one of the memeology articles/summaries/threads we had say something about memes piggybacking on popular memes? cause that's basically what we're going to try and do. i think the gist of it was that if the piggybacking meme gives no inherent advantage to the popular meme, it'll fall off, because memes strive for compactness.

on a sidethought, i'm creating a category and index page for Memetics on the BIP wiki. there's a bunch of good articles and discussions floating around on this topic, but they're all floating around (one of them is in the middle of the memebombs thread, for gods sake :) ) -- quick start made, will put stuff there later: http://www.poee.co.uk/bip/index.php?title=Memetics

uhhhhm

i can possibly come up with more ideas, but i feel like i should hit post now.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

which date was this episode of the colbert report broadcast? cause the one i downloaded seems to be the wrong one, it has no interview with some guy about memes, nor anything about stickers.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If that wasn't one of us, at least we know that the GASM project is getting the word out...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on April 14, 2008, 04:58:57 PM
woah:

http://www.pravenue.com/newsletter.asp?article=534

Icarus23 contacted you as well?

I was going to post that earlier, but got caught up.

The guy is on the inside, and I dunno how popular the site really is, but more mentions = better

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I contacted him originally via MySpace and he followed a secondary line of attack while the letter writing campaign was going on (his backend attack may have borne more fruit than originally thought)... but, we don't need no stinken MySpace Discordians... right?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

this is the guy who is tyring to adapt the Illuminatus Trillogy into graphic novel form, right?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on April 15, 2008, 07:26:10 PM
this is the guy who is tyring to adapt the Illuminatus Trillogy into graphic novel form, right?

I think that he may be... All these other crazy Discordians blend together without Suu's avatars to help me keep them straight!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

To-Do

• Take the video that p3nt made and host it somewhere
  • Write up a paragraph about our success for the wiki. Post the videos on the wiki.

Volunteers?

Faust

find me the vid and I will host it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Cain

Apparently a golden (delicious) apple made a random appearance on the show tonight, while they were talking about the Pope.

Sign? 

It has to be.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on April 22, 2008, 07:47:07 AM
Apparently a golden (delicious) apple made a random appearance on the show tonight, while they were talking about the Pope.

Sign? 

It has to be.

I watched, but I didn't see any apple :(