News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Eggplant halp plz.

Started by Suu, June 25, 2008, 02:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

We made these last night.  They were AWESOME!!!!  We ended up cooking 4 eggplants.  The kids said the leftovers today were just as good!  I added a sprinkle of garlic to the tomatoes and mixed garlic with the oil I brushed the eggplant with before putting it on the grill.  The boys added a couple of pieces of roasted habenero as they eat everything spicy!!!  USE EXTRA CHEES FOR MAXIMUM YUMMINESS!!! 

I got the recipe from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Eggplant-Tomato-and-Goat-Cheese/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1 (11 ounce) log goat cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat grill for medium heat.
In a large bowl, coat eggplant with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange half of the eggplant slices on a tray. Place a slice of tomato and a slice of goat cheese on each slice of eggplant. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the tomatoes and cheese. Top with remaining slices of eggplant, and secure each bundle with a toothpick.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Remove toothpicks, and arrange bundles on grate. Cook about 7 to 8 minutes, then carefully flip. Continue cooking for 6 to 7 minutes.
FOOTNOTES
To cook in the oven, bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until softened and melt in your mouth delicious!
Fresh mozzarella can easily be substituted if you don't like goat cheese.

Triple Zero

well it's done.

i kinda wonder about the floating-in-oil bit, but it smells good!

pics after i'm stuffed. which is going to happen rather quickly, i have the feeling. oh well, more for lunch tomorrow!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

pffffffffffffffffffffffffff

well i was right about the stuffedness

i'll keep munching this stuff during the rest of the evening though.

here are the pictures!

they didn't need to lose that much water, btw. maybe because i bought the eggplant about 5-6 days ago.

my garlic was also a littlebit old, so i used 5 cloves instead of 3 :mrgreen:

frying the garlic in LOTS of oil

more frying..

check out how they turned green .. what is up with that? looks funky, though. also notice how all the oil is gone.

did i say gone? they go soggy and suddenly squirt out their oil again (there's probably a very good molecular gastronomic reason for this)

look at the pretty colours! in addition to fresh tomatoes i also added about half a can of peeled tomatoes, because it didn't seem to be quite enough.

the finished result! i made the cream by mixing yoghurt, sour cream and some salt.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Jenne

Very impressive Trip Zip--hope you loved it as much as Suu and I do!

And Khara, that's a great recipe that I'll definitely have to try when I get back from my trip!

Jenne

Quote from: triple zero on July 10, 2008, 08:37:27 PM
i ended up emptying one of my bottles of olive oil (it wasnt full), until there was a littlebit of oil left that didn't get soaked up anymore .. i think that's more than 8oz though

and LOL

now they got soggy and all the oil is coming back out

i wonder if i should drain it a little ... it does have all the garlic flavour in it now..

(although i could save it and have garlic olive oil)

btw did your eggplants turn green as they soaked up the oil? i'm wondering if it's because of the greenish colour of my cheap extra virgin olive oil or something eggplant-ish .. pics will come later.

time to slice up some tomatoes and add them

When the oil comes back out, they are pretty much done.  And KEEP the oil.  Don't drain it and throw it away, really.  :D  It's just tastier to leave it oily, sad to say.  Which is why I recommend bread--to soak it all up.

Now, if you'd prefer basmati rice (cooked in chicken broth), that's a suitable alternative to bread.

Triple Zero

did i mention it was DELICIOUS?

oh looking at those pics makes me very hungry again :D

[ok partly because i overslept and had to run and am sitting at the uni now without breakfast]

Triple Zero

YUM YUM YUM YUM

like everything with copious amounts of garlic, this shit is possibly even better the next day, cold and for lunch

soon i'll be stuffed again, and i still need to run ... hmmm

Suu

Oh yeah, I stuffed a pita with it cold the next day. It was awesome!

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

This was pretty tasty:

Preheat oven to 400.

Sliced an eggplant lenghtwise into 1/4" strips.

Placed on rack, sprinkled kosher salt on both sides, left for 30 minutes to draw out some water.

Blotted off excess water with paper towels.

Made some sourdough breadcrumbs, placed in bowl.

Ground pepper onto eggplant.

Beat 2 eggs in a different bowl.

Heated up 1-2 Tblsp of olive oil in a medium-high skillet.

Dip eggplant into egg, then into breadcrumb, then into skillet.

fry 3 min on a side, or until golden brown.

Remove to baking sheet.  Repeat until all slices are fried and on baking sheet.

Top slices with smoked buffalo mozzerella, and parmesan cheese.

Place in overn for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.

While in overn, make a simple marinara with red chili flakes, onion, garlic, and crushed tomatoes (sautee veggies/chili, add tomatoes, simmer, season to taste).  Add sausage if you must have meat.

To plate, spoon marinara on plate to lightly cover, then place eggplant on top.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: Nigel on June 25, 2008, 02:18:27 AMEggplant Parmigiana.
Is fucking w1n. Pregnant ladies over the 9months are supposed to eat this to 'move things along.' :lulz:
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on August 04, 2008, 02:46:18 PMsmoked buffalo mozzerella

smoked mozarella????

i must find this and try it.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 11:01:01 AM
Quote from: LMNO on August 04, 2008, 02:46:18 PMsmoked buffalo mozzerella

smoked mozarella????

i must find this and try it.

This might be the easiest way if your local cheese shop is from a Monty Python skit: http://www.amazon.com/Smoked-Mozzarella-Cheese-3-lb/dp/B00028LG8K

LMNO

Made a schezuan eggplant tofu stirfry last night: marinated the tofu in Korean chili paste and soy, then seared off the eggplant and tofu, and removed. 

Then sauteed habanero, bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger.

Then added a bit of chicken stock, and soy & mirin mixed with cornstarch.  Whisked into the broth/veggies.  Let thicken.

Toss the eggplant back in, and let it absorb much of the liquid.

Plate with tofu around the edges, and torn basil leaves and sesame seeds on top.

Shit, it's been a night, a shower, and doing the dishes, and the habanero oils are still on my fingers.

Jenne

I'm yoinking this and sending it to my husband.  He's always looking for more recipes for eggplant.  It's too damned bad it's not more nutritious as a food.

LMNO

Yeah.  Hence the tofu.

I'm sure pork or chicken would work well, too.