News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

It's mah birfday...

Started by Dimocritus, July 31, 2009, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 02:41:56 PM
Wow, that was fairly obtuse of you, fic.

To clarify, 000 was very rational.  You used hyperbole and exaggeration to try to make a point -- a point that really had no bearing on the conversation at hand.

You lose this round.  So stop.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 02:44:27 PM

To clarify, 000 was very rational.  You used hyperbole and exaggeration to try to make a point -- a point that really had no bearing on the conversation at hand.

You lose this round.  So stop.
If someone says "I'll never jump out of my window", I'm not allowed to say "what about in case of fire?"

Look. I made a small insignificant point. Other people jumped on it because it has the "fictionpuss" label of quality and I'm perceived as an easy target. Now they've forced themselves into a position to make it look like I've been doing something much more sinister than defending that one insignificant point, to justify the complete overreaction on their part.

Well fine. I'm not going to help them dig themselves out of the hole they made for themselves.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 02:32:37 PM
I love watching 000 fly off the handle.

I learned a lot, since I first came here 8)

I even used these newfound skills in a RL situation this monday when I had the idea some place (details irrelevant) was screwing me over, and guy A who helps me there got his boss B and I went on a tirade against mr B, totally pwned him, got what I wanted and things will be different now. mr A was sort of half looking away and mumbling agreements with me now and then. but afterwards when B left he said "wow 000 you did that very well. you gotta know, he's my boss you know? so i'm kinda between two fires here*. however this conversation has taught me a thing or two as well, and I think things will be different from now on."

(*whether I think A not having the guts and/or spine to stand up against his boss in this situation is another question, but he's a bit off the hook for now)

and Fictionpuss,

what LMNO said, I am being perfectly rational. I'm not really at the point yet where I can successfully fly off the handle without remaining rational. For some people that works, doesn't yet for me.

so in all rationality, Fictionpuss, you're really thick if you confuse repeatability in the scientific method with "truth through repetition". I mean that simply, anyone with the slightest doubt or just scientific rigour can test the theory "Fictionpuss is a pathetic whining little prick" through a repeatable experiment.

well, anyone but you. and not only because you'd be too thick to understand, but also because of your inability to objectively carry out the experiment since the subject is you.

so take it from us:

You're a pathetic whining little prick.

We Do This Shit For Science
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 05, 2009, 01:53:32 PM
I don't think that at all. I do believe that telling an anti-English joke is part of the problem in the cycle of violence. How do you extract your meaning from what I said?

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 04, 2009, 09:43:46 PM
Yeah - random punches to the face, death threats and a constant stream of bigotry and abuse are quite clear indications of this common belief. Never did find out what was so special about being Scottish, apart from a naturally violent inclination towards the English. The best parts of Scotland I ever found was in the countryside, but that's only because it was virtually empty as everyone else was down the pub getting pissed and telling jokes about how everything is the fault of The English.

And then you have Hogmanay, and the sugar sweet coating over the hundreds year old hatred.. and the "harmless fun" and the "not really meaning it" bullshit. Once you've lived it, it takes on shades of innocence similar to McCain singing "Bomb Bomb Iran" - you might or might not consciously wish any ill to people born south of the border, but by perpetuating the joke, you perpetuate the moronic hatred.

Do you even read your own posts, sassenach?

Captain Utopia

Anyway, it seems that you're saying that while telling one offensive joke is bad, telling dozens is ok.
One racist joke as part of a pattern I've become attuned to - I'll single out. Taking a film which mocks everyone in almost equal measure is not the same thing as that. Payne had a similar example a few pages ago where he and some friends would make fun out of everyone - if you recall, I conceded that he had a point and I withdrew an appearance of blanket objection then.

LMNO

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 05, 2009, 02:51:14 PM
If someone says "I'll never jump out of my window", I'm not allowed to say "what about in case of fire?"

Look. I made a small insignificant point. Other people jumped on it because it has the "fictionpuss" label of quality and I'm perceived as an easy target. Now they've forced themselves into a position to make it look like I've been doing something much more sinister than defending that one insignificant point, to justify the complete overreaction on their part.

Well fine. I'm not going to help them dig themselves out of the hole they made for themselves.

I think the word you're looking for to describe yourself is "pedantic".

Yes, in a strict semantic-rules environment, the word "never" can be taken as an absolute.  However, in passing conversation, more stress on the "absolute-ness" of the word is generally needed for emphasis.

"I'll never censor images" vs "I will never, never EVER, censor any image of ANY kind.  Ever."

Your insistance of taking it as the latter, when it was pretty clear to everyone involved that the intent of the post was indeed the former, makes you sound like a prick.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 05, 2009, 02:51:14 PMOther people jumped on it because it has the "fictionpuss" label of quality and I'm perceived as an easy target

Oh god damn it, another one?

I only just got back to PD.com after a month or two away and I don't even know who you are.

I'll know not to reply to you from now on because I really can't be bothered with all that "hurr I'm a victim" crap. It also explains why you would play the racism card after a lighthearted joke.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 03:01:56 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on August 05, 2009, 02:51:14 PM

I think the word you're looking for to describe yourself is "pedantic".

Yes, in a strict semantic-rules environment, the word "never" can be taken as an absolute.  However, in passing conversation, more stress on the "absolute-ness" of the word is generally needed for emphasis.

"I'll never censor images" vs "I will never, never EVER, censor any image of ANY kind.  Ever."

Your insistance of taking it as the latter, when it was pretty clear to everyone involved that the intent of the post was indeed the former, makes you sound like a prick.
Well that makes a lot of sense.

If people throw attitude in my face, I'll throw it back. In an environment where people keep throwing shit on me and blowing every small misunderstanding out of proportion, I can't help but sound like a prick.

LMNO

Well, your pedantic error was pretty much pointed out to you from the get-go.  It appears you just couldn't get past your knee-jerk Defensive Mode to see it.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: ( ´_ゝ`) on August 05, 2009, 03:06:45 PM
I really can't be bothered with all that "hurr I'm a victim" crap.
I don't see myself as a victim. Quite literally, the violence I received is what informed my personal opinion of what other parts of the problem are. You asked, and I explained. Did I fall into your cunning trap?

Quote from: ( ´_ゝ`) on August 05, 2009, 03:06:45 PM
It also explains why you would play the racism card after a lighthearted joke.
It was a racist joke. I've seen how those particular racist jokes are used, and particularly how the people who use them without thinking, play their part in perpetuating the violence.

It's like I've hit a timewarp to the 60s.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 03:12:54 PM
Well, your pedantic error was pretty much pointed out to you from the get-go.  It appears you just couldn't get past your knee-jerk Defensive Mode to see it.
This is entirely possible.

LMNO

It was probably due to the lack of anything resembling decent dental care.

Payne

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 03:21:51 PM

YOU'RE CONTINUING THE HATRED! STOP CONTINUING THE HATRED!

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Payne on August 05, 2009, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2009, 03:21:51 PM

YOU'RE CONTINUING THE HATRED! STOP CONTINUING THE HATRED!
No, silly. That affects _all_ of the UK - we've already covered the blanket clause.

LMNO

With that logic, it should be ok to call everyone in Africa vicious savages who only want to fuck white women.

After all, it's the whole continent.