News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Questions about the Black Iron Prison

Started by dontblameyoko, January 02, 2010, 12:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Daego on January 23, 2010, 12:22:00 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with you that I won't be getting involved. 

Good.

East Coast Hustle

I perceive discordianism as a mind-set that logically imposes an ultra-realistic viewpoint on its user, so I'm always amused that it attracts so many mhadjickqians.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 25, 2010, 07:12:56 PM
I perceive discordianism as a mind-set that logically imposes an ultra-realistic viewpoint on its user, so I'm always amused that it attracts so many mhadjickqians.

It's interesting because I perceive Discordianism as a mind-set which imposes an absurd viewpoint on the user and therefore interacting with absurd views of reality like magic seems reasonable. That is, its all maps and models, as long as the Discordian groks that, any map and any model is up for play.

QuoteAnd so it is that we, as men, do not exist until we do; and then it is that we play with our world of existent things, and order and disorder them, and so it shall be that Non-existence shall take us back from Existence, and that nameless Spirituality shall return to Void, like a tired child home from a very wild circus.

I like the freak show as much as I like the Big Top.  :lulz:

Hell, I even like the "games of chance"... and those are totally a scam.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

[Wishy-washy synthesist]

Discordianism is the open-source religion, in that most people who adopt it and use it seriously bring their own flavour and new ideas to it, improving it and making it their own.  ECH's personality is starkly realistic and practical, so his version mirrors that.  Ratatosk's worldview is closer to the original recipe by Thornley.  Cosmic poetic absurdism with a dash of mysticism.

Other Discordian practices incorporate a fundamentalistic view of Eris as an unkind goddess of disruption and strife, a doctrine which finds favor quite naturally among the ranks of trolls.  Some people (myself) take Discordianism as a foil for a Vonnegut-esque worldview. 

(Regardless of how accurate my assessment of their actual tastes, the point is nevertheless illustrative of how different people use and abuse Discordianism.)

[/Wishy-washy synthesist]

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:mittens:

Wishy-Washy Mittens for Wishy-Washy Win

hooplala

I never said I don't "buy" into "creative people who like seeing our stuff in print" or their ideas. It seems you've failed to notice that my e-tongue is firmly lodged in my e-cheek.  Also failed to realize how easily discord meshes with the arcane.  Whether you agree or not is your problem, but I kinda figured if anyone would be open to an Idea as brash and totally "out there" as "magick", it would probably be a discordian.  Definitely not the first time I've overestimated a group of people, though.  I'm gonna have to agree with you that I won't be getting involved in your discussions on trolling satanism sites, your hierarchy, your unoriginal corporate conspiracy theories, ships and shoes and ceiling wax, cabbages and kings.  Mainstream quote in 3 2 1 why so serious?

Thats a pretty broad brush you're painting with there, amigo.  I happen to not consider "magick" a waste of time, but I don't like your attitude, so don't expect to discuss it with me.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on January 27, 2010, 06:52:50 PM
  I never said I don't "buy" into "creative people who like seeing our stuff in print" or their ideas. It seems you've failed to notice that my e-tongue is firmly lodged in my e-cheek.  Also failed to realize how easily discord meshes with the arcane.  Whether you agree or not is your problem, but I kinda figured if anyone would be open to an Idea as brash and totally "out there" as "magick", it would probably be a discordian.  Definitely not the first time I've overestimated a group of people, though.  I'm gonna have to agree with you that I won't be getting involved in your discussions on trolling satanism sites, your hierarchy, your unoriginal corporate conspiracy theories, ships and shoes and ceiling wax, cabbages and kings.  Mainstream quote in 3 2 1 why so serious?

Thats a pretty broad brush you're painting with there, amigo.  I happen to not consider "magick" a waste of time, but I don't like your attitude, so don't expect to discuss it with me.

Right there with ya Hoops... Dunno how someone would think this board is anti-magic when we regulars get into 50+ page debates on the topic ;-)

LMNO

.....Aaaaand we're off again!

:shoots self in head:

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on January 27, 2010, 07:36:03 PM

Wait, what? Off to where? I wasn't intending that to be a slam on anything. The dude is painting us all as X when the debates we've had seem to indicate that we aren't all X.

Or did I miss something?

LMNO

It's only to be expected.

...And just to get the playing field correct:

Group A thinks that Magic is a collective noun describing heavy-handed techniques of NLP, self-hypnosis, intentional self delusion, and psychology.

Group B thinks that Magic is describes non-local events of things that cannot be currently explained.

Group C thinks that Group A are a bunch of silly bastards to willfully use terms and techniques that are outdated, crude, and misleading.

And everyone thinks Group B are fucking morons.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2010, 07:49:57 PM

Wait, what? Off to where? I wasn't intending that to be a slam on anything. The dude is painting us all as X when the debates we've had seem to indicate that we aren't all X.

Or did I miss something?

No, it's just that the conversation is back again.

And it was so productive last time.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2010, 07:49:57 PM

Or did I miss something?

No, it's just that the conversation is back again.

And it was so productive last time.

Oh I thought this was a meta conversation... in that we can all agree that we fight like hell over some topics of conversation ;-)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 27, 2010, 07:53:20 PM
It's only to be expected.

...And just to get the playing field correct:

Group A thinks that Magic is a collective noun describing heavy-handed techniques of NLP, self-hypnosis, intentional self delusion, and psychology.

Group B thinks that Magic is describes non-local events of things that cannot be currently explained.

Group C thinks that Group A are a bunch of silly bastards to willfully use terms and techniques that are outdated, crude, and misleading.

And everyone thinks Group B are fucking morons.

Group D:  People who wish this shit would stop sucking the life out of every other part of the board.  

I am in this group.