News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

In those days Pt. 9.

Started by Kai, April 24, 2010, 07:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

In the cathedrals of science dwell those devoted to puzzle solving, those mages who consider why why why all day and night loosing sleep in their cells working on the great Rubik cube of the Universe

This is the calling of all mages, to solve puzzles, and when a church no longer holds puzzle solvers the foundations crumble, they have dispersed to other churches that better support their primary occupation, this the revolution the godlike Sir Karl called Extraordinary Science, but the Normal Science, the magecraft of every day is puzzles, and Extraordinary Science would not exist without it.

They have glimpsed the Tangled Bank, the name-mages, they have peered deep into the magic well and that first glimpse is a satori which leaves their mouth watering. She cannot go back, the one who has seen it and every puzzle every WHY every   minute    answer is another intoxicating glimpse like a thirsty horse drawn to a pool just out of reach, these Tantalus. They have stolen ambrosia from the gods and it is a drug, a hedonism of life impassioned.

The puzzle solvers will never be satisfied, and thus the churches are built and crumble endlessly in cycles of reciprocal illumination spiraling downward to the inevitable asymptote, the Tangled Bank just out of reach, watched from afar. They are like Sisyphus, and they are happy.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Question:

Does it feel like these are getting repetitive?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jasper

I liked this.  I wouldn't say that it's getting old, but I think you've established the tone and feel enough to take it someplace new, or develop it.  This is a pretty good series, I think it can go places.

Kai

Okay, the tone has been set with these first ten, then. Where should it go, then, yes, where should it go...

Jasper

You want my take?  The thing I like most about this series is the way it co-opts the wonder and romance of fantasy and magic, without losing the merits of scientific thought.  Something in that direction would be my pick.

Kai

So like, fantasy science fiction?

Jasper

I'm probably botching the explanation.  I really like how you repaint scientists as sort of reverent, arcane figures- drawing out the sense that their quest for scientific truth has significant spiritual weight as well.  I think there's some good material in there somewhere.   Themes like the truth as holy, and science with a mystic flair. 

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 25, 2010, 12:51:40 AM
I'm probably botching the explanation.  I really like how you repaint scientists as sort of reverent, arcane figures- drawing out the sense that their quest for scientific truth has significant spiritual weight as well.  I think there's some good material in there somewhere.   Themes like the truth as holy, and science with a mystic flair. 

I think I agree with that, except they are more reverent figures in the greek sense, as flawed beings. But yes, science has significant philosophical and therefore spiritual underpinnings, and a mythos as great as any other religion. The difference being that churches rise and fall but Science continues.

LMNO

I really like the idea of the Tangled Bank. 

h-town

Reality is just an illusion, but the illusion is really happening: Conundrum.

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: h-town on April 26, 2010, 07:02:41 PM
Reality is just an illusion, but the illusion is really happening: Conundrum.

Blarg.  Solopsism.  If it's really fucking happening, then it's not a Goddamn illusion.  Go boot a wasp's nest, and then tell me all about this Maya bullshit.
Molon Lube

h-town

It's always impressive if someone you are talking to thinks you know what the fuck is going on.

That's my take from this end.

h-town

It's also really easy to talk about the reality or unreality of a chair or a poster or a x but no one ever questions the existence of a bengal tiger in the room.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: h-town on April 26, 2010, 07:15:33 PM
It's always impressive if someone you are talking to thinks you know what the fuck is going on.

That's my take from this end.

Solopsism is only good for getting laid with airheads, and even then there are easier ways.
Molon Lube