News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Midnight Babble 1 - What is truth?

Started by SMFabal, November 23, 2003, 12:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B23.77

Ditto.  All is true.  Nothing is permitted.  The guv will probly fine me for not getting permits for all my stuff, and throw me in jail for lying.

Lord_Caramac

Well, let me tell you a story about The Truth. Imagine there's a large black room, completely pitch black like a tar pit, no light at all, and there's all sorts of people stumbling about in there. Now some people claim there must be a black cat in that room somewhere, and they call that cat The Truth. The room is filled with all kinds of small furry animals, and some of them seem to be cats, but it is too dark to see whether one of them is black - maybe they're all black, maybe there is not a single black cat at all, or maybe some are black and some aren't.
Despite of these facts, most people still believe that there is exactly one black cat - The Truth - and that it can be found, somehow. Now some people manage to get hold of one of those small furry creatures, and they claim that they have found the truth and gather followers around them. Some of those creatures aren't even cats, and only lunatics believe they are The Truth, but some creatures are cats, and they have lots of followers who all believe that their cat is the only black one, starting wars against the followers of other cats...
May the Fnord be with you!
-><-
"This schland is your schland, this schland is my schland..."
-><-
Bart: How would I go about creating a half man, half monkey type creature?
Miss Krabapple: I'm sorry, that would be playing God.
Bart: God-shmod, I want my monkey man!
-><-
Lord BlackLight
aka Lord Helmet
aka ElfBoi
aka Lord Caramac the Clueless, NPIAB
Knight of the Big Toe
aka His Arrogance Pope Cereal I., KBB, GHMB, DHB
-><-
St. Yogi Bear Cabal
-><-
Jabber: elfboi@jabber.org (NOT email - check www.jabber.org)

Guido Finucci

Quote from: eumaasIf somebody kicked me in the balls, I'd make sure they knew I was real.

Nah. You'd just try really hard to help them believe that they were being beaten up.

eumaas

Quote from: Guido FinucciNah. You'd just try really hard to help them believe that they were being beaten up.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, is still kicking the crap out of you.

EvilPoet

Truth and the Traveler
(An Aesop Fable)

A WAYFARING MAN, traveling in the desert, met a woman standing
alone and terribly dejected.  He inquired of her, "Who art thou?"
"My name is Truth," she replied.  "And for what cause," he asked,
"have you left the city to dwell alone here in the wilderness?"
She made answer, "Because in former times, falsehood was with
few, but is now with all men."

Guido Finucci

Quote from: eumaasReality is that which, when you stop believing in it, is still kicking the crap out of you.

I'm gonna quote you on that.  :)

EvilPoet

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: eumaasReality is that which, when you stop believing in it, is still kicking the crap out of you.
I'm gonna quote you on that.  :)
eumaas' quote reminds me of this Philip K. Dick quote:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

eumaas

Quote from: EvilPoetReality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Of course. It's just my adaptation of it. :)