News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

The Barstool Experiment

Started by LHX, June 13, 2006, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

First: What makes you think the Barstool is a metaphysical dead end?

Second, how does a kid in a bar relate to pragmatism (which is the essential point of the Barstool)?

Third: How is a kid in a bar more personal to you?

Fourth: Fucking with each other is not the point.  Roll the dice again.

Fifth:  No fifth post.

Your Audience

1) The barstool isn't a metaphysical dead-end, the discussion that leads up to being struck by it is.

2) The kid in a bar isn't pragmatic at all, I was playing around with what had been said previously in the thread.

3) By more personal, I mean I was trying to focus more on human relationships in stead of "intellectual" content (metaphysics etc). I'm more interested in that side of things, personally.

4) Apologies, I find it easy to be sarcastic. I should temper my replies.
You turn me on.

Your Audience

You guys don't love me do you?

Betrayed again.

:oops:

:cry:
You turn me on.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Your Audience on April 05, 2007, 04:00:17 PM2) The kid in a bar isn't pragmatic at all, I was playing around with what had been said previously in the thread.

3) By more personal, I mean I was trying to focus more on human relationships in stead of "intellectual" content (metaphysics etc). I'm more interested in that side of things, personally.

that's why it's a parable. parables do that stuff.
(or maybe an allegory? i'm not really too precise on these literary terms)

in regular words, it's a story that tries to speak about a metaphysical concept (in this case a specific type of pragmatism) and does this with a sort of metaphorical story.

also: this is the wrong forum to come looking for love, so stop asking.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Payne

love is: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=1695.0

It really doesn't work well in here. And unless you're an Alt. for ECH, I don't think that really works either...

saint aini

Quote from: Your Audience on April 05, 2007, 05:04:13 PM
You guys don't love me do you?

Betrayed again.

:oops:

:cry:

What if everybody hates you?

Because they do.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

Your Audience

You guys get soooo teratorial!

I don't need to look for love anyl onger. I've already found it. I love you guys! :lulz:
You turn me on.

Your Audience

Quote from: triple zero on April 05, 2007, 05:31:37 PM
Quote from: Your Audience on April 05, 2007, 04:00:17 PM2) The kid in a bar isn't pragmatic at all, I was playing around with what had been said previously in the thread.

that's why it's a parable. parables do that stuff.
(or maybe an allegory? i'm not really too precise on these literary terms)

in regular words, it's a story that tries to speak about a metaphysical concept (in this case a specific type of pragmatism) and does this with a sort of metaphorical story.

also: this is the wrong forum to come looking for love, so stop asking.

I see your point about it being a parable. My version is far from being so obviously that. But isn't either version totally redundant as a psychological tool while posted on this forum and simply just a form of literature? I would have thought that for either to be effective (in the Zen sense) they would need to be transmited by someone who really knew what they were doing?

No, I think I'm wrong. I think forums can turn you on too.

Aren't we all looking for love?
You turn me on.

Triple Zero

this thread was created because some people were talking about "the barstool experiment", then some newer peoples didn't know what it was, then we realized we didn't really have a "definite" barstool story.

it's here mostly for reference as to "what is the barstool experiment?"
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Your Audience

Quote from: triple zero on April 05, 2007, 05:31:37 PM

Actually, I think this parable is trying to point out the futility of any metaphysic. I thought it was pointing outside of the head and it's limited concepts and into the superconscious void of hyperobjectivity?
You turn me on.

Triple Zero

saint aini

A punk and an emo were talking in a bar.

The punk says to the emo, "Everybody hates you.  I ought to hit you over your head with this barstool."
The emo responds, "The barstool is only an imaginary thing made by your brain because you want it to be.  It cannot hurt me.  My heart would break the windows if it were let out.  My pain is so real. Nothing is really real. Matter is all so empty because nothing matters any more."
The punk ponders this. "I will show you real pain."
The punk and the friends of the punk lift up the barstool and the emo and defenestrate both the emo and the barstool.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

Triple Zero

needs more tentacles, but otherwise :mittens:

LMNO

Quote from: Your Audience on April 05, 2007, 06:47:46 PM
I see your point about it being a parable. My version is far from being so obviously that. But isn't either version totally redundant as a psychological tool while posted on this forum and simply just a form of literature?

No.

Your Audience

Quote from: saint aini on April 05, 2007, 07:09:13 PM
A punk and an emo were talking in a bar.

The punk says to the emo, "Everybody hates you.  I ought to hit you over your head with this barstool."
The emo responds, "The barstool is only an imaginary thing made by your brain because you want it to be.  It cannot hurt me.  My heart would break the windows if it were let out.  My pain is so real. Nothing is really real. Matter is all so empty because nothing matters any more."
The punk ponders this. "I will show you real pain."
The punk and the friends of the punk lift up the barstool and the emo and defenestrate both the emo and the barstool.

I think this is definately the best one yet. Straight from the heart. You can't fault that. I am sorry that you're angry though.
You turn me on.