News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The Barstool Experiment

Started by LHX, June 13, 2006, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock4Socrates

Quote from: LMNO on June 13, 2006, 05:38:30 PM
Clumsily put, Let's say we were in a bar, having a few pints, and talking about the nature of Universe.

You point out that most of what we consider "matter" is made up of empty space; the distance between a nucleus, it's electrons, and the nearest adjacent atom is comparatively large; why, that barstool over there shouldn't even be considered a solid!

I respond by saying that as far as we can actually prove, that barstool might simply be a hallucination, for we're not actually seeing the barstool, we're processing electric signals in our heads generated by our optic nevrves that claim certain wavelengths of ligh have bounced off an object, but none of that says anything about whether or not the barstool actually exists.

Then ECH comes along, picks up the barstool, and proceeds to beat the shit out of us with it for being such pretentious assholes.

Wow! I feel like SUCH a neophyte newbie! I don't even know who [what] ECH is!!!!

AFK

For the purposes of this experiment, it is not necessary.  If it makes it easier for you, replace "ECH" with Bob, Mary, or some other name. 

But if you want to get to know the denizens of pd.com, I suggest starting with the Intro thread in Apple Talk, and go from there. 

Welcome, btw. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Of course, you could always employ the greatest weapon to combat ignorance if you so chose.

Hemlock4Socrates

Thanks Rev. and LMNO! I shall heed your advice...

LMNO

AFK

We shall, it's too early to be making any bold predictions at this time. 

LMNO

Truly, you are a font of wisdom.

AFK

Too kind, I'm just the type to try and save face. 

LMNO

Therein lies the keys to the entire subtext.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 06, 2009, 12:19:17 PM
Fuck those guys, really, there used to be this really nice place I'd go and have a drink, but one evening the barman thought it was nice to have a band play a live performance. But a HUGE fight broke out, some argument about the nature of reality or something. It was horrible, and the place hasn't ever been the same after the bar's Tool experiment.

(quoted for relevance)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hemlock4Socrates on September 15, 2009, 01:50:20 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 13, 2006, 05:38:30 PM
Clumsily put, Let's say we were in a bar, having a few pints, and talking about the nature of Universe.

You point out that most of what we consider "matter" is made up of empty space; the distance between a nucleus, it's electrons, and the nearest adjacent atom is comparatively large; why, that barstool over there shouldn't even be considered a solid!

I respond by saying that as far as we can actually prove, that barstool might simply be a hallucination, for we're not actually seeing the barstool, we're processing electric signals in our heads generated by our optic nevrves that claim certain wavelengths of ligh have bounced off an object, but none of that says anything about whether or not the barstool actually exists.

Then ECH comes along, picks up the barstool, and proceeds to beat the shit out of us with it for being such pretentious assholes.

Wow! I feel like SUCH a neophyte newbie! I don't even know who [what] ECH is!!!!

Odd.  Your avatar looks really familiar.

REALLY familiar.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Its part of the standard forum set. 

Yes, we have pre-set avatars.  Yes, they all suck.

IIRC that particular one was used by Hawk, at some point before he ran away because I was mean and elitist or something.

LMNO

Also note it's that whiney pussy from Korn.

Hemlock4Socrates

Quote from: LMNO on September 15, 2009, 07:55:49 PM
Also note it's that whiney pussy from Korn.
I couldn't have described him better myself LMNO. I'll eventually come up with something else....but for now, heh, why not?  :fap:
Quote from: Triple Zero on September 15, 2009, 06:56:08 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on March 06, 2009, 12:19:17 PM
Fuck those guys, really, there used to be this really nice place I'd go and have a drink, but one evening the barman thought it was nice to have a band play a live performance. But a HUGE fight broke out, some argument about the nature of reality or something. It was horrible, and the place hasn't ever been the same after the bar's Tool experiment.
(quoted for relevance)
I'm rapidly digesting [BUUURP!....'scuse me] as I make my first skim through "the book"....I'm sure there's relevance, I'm just too much of a n00b to know it....I obviously posted prematurely - however, since y'all seem at least mildly amused - I'll save the apology for. . . Aw srcrew it! no apology....no,,,NO!  :wink:

Cain