News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

The Barstool Experiment

Started by LHX, June 13, 2006, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Mischief

Quote from: Cain on April 27, 2007, 01:38:29 PM
Still the most Discordian book done by him so far. 

I have to email him with thanks and my suggestion for an Errata based storyline (Errata being the Discworld's Eris).

AND DON'T FORGET TO PUT A DISCLAIMER ON IT!  :eek: EVERY RELIGIOUS BOOK WRITTEN IN THESE TIMES NEEDS A DISCLAIMER.  I PULLED THESE OFF OF THE INTERNET  :lulz:...

For documents and software available from this server, the U.S. Government does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed. Various content on this site may be subject to copyright by journals and publishers. Use of the copyrighted material is subject to the terms and conditions of use established by the journal or publisherNCBI does  Some NCBI Web pages may provide links to other Internet sites for the convenience of users. NCBI is not responsible for the availability or content of these external sites, nor does NCBI endorse, warrant, or guarantee the products, services, or information described or offered at these other Internet sites. Users cannot assume that the external sites will abide by the same Privacy Policy to which NCBI adheres. It is the responsibility of the user to examine the copyright and licensing restrictions of linked pages and to secure all necessary permissions. not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services. The views and opinions of authors expressed on NCBI's Web sites do not necessarily state or reflect those of the U.S. Government, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes. This site is maintained by the U.S. Government and is protected by various provisions of Title 18 of the U.S. Code. Violations of Title 18 are subject to criminal prosecution in a federal court. For site security purposes, as well as to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we use software programs to monitor traffic and to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or otherwise cause damage. In the event of authorized law enforcement investigations and pursuant to any required legal process, information from these sources may be used to help identify an individual.
"You can't hunt down an idea"       -Faris bin Hizam, a Saudi writer and expert on terror groups.

Mister Mischief

Now THAT's an interesting experiment...what happens when you steal a DISCLAIMER from the U.S. Government?  :D
"You can't hunt down an idea"       -Faris bin Hizam, a Saudi writer and expert on terror groups.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on April 24, 2007, 07:46:57 PM
QuoteOnce upon a time, two Serious Minded people were in their local pub, having a few pints, and talking about the nature of Universe.

Bill pointed out that most of what we consider ,Äúmatter,Äù is made up of empty space.  ,ÄúThe distance between a nucleus, its electrons, and the nearest adjacent atom is comparatively large; why, that barstool over there shouldn't even be considered a solid!,Äù

Joe responded, ,Äúbut wait,Ķ As far as we can actually prove, that barstool might simply be a hallucination, for we're not actually seeing the barstool, we're processing electric signals in our heads generated by our optic nerves.  And all they are doing is claiming certain wavelengths of light have bounced off an object.  But what if the nerves are misfiring, which we all know happen quite often?  So, we can,Äôt really say whether or not the barstool even exists!,Äù

Just then, a man approached them and said, ,ÄúI couldn,Äôt help but overhear you two talking.  If I may, I have an experiment for you.  Purely in the interest of a Deeper Understanding of the Universe.,Äù

He then proceeded to pick up the barstool and pummel both Bill and Joe squarely about the head and torso, because they were so obviously pretentious assholes who deserved a beatdown.

Thus, they were enlightened.

So, what does this metaphor mean?

First off, it does not mean the use of violence against stupid, or willfully ignorant people.

What it does mean is not to forget the idea of pragmatism in any sort of philosophical discussion that deals with the way we interact with the universe.

Our imaginations can hold a lot of ideas, and we can build upon these ideas immensely.  We can even do this if the initial ideas are complete bullshit.

The barstool is a metaphor for telling you that your grand castle in the sky that you build after sleepless nights and too much LSD is, in fact, completely worthless.

I would suggest another metaphor be created that represents the ,Äúwhack to the head,Äù of the willfully ignorant or stupid.

I suggest ,Äúclawhammer.,Äù

I find it fascinating that even with a stickied post, and even with extensive commentary, some people claim that there is no explaination of the Barstool.

These people, I feel, are extremely lazy, with limited reading comprehension.

That One Guy

Quote from: LMNO on May 03, 2007, 04:30:35 PM
These people, I feel, are extremely lazy, with limited reading comprehension.

And you think this concise, simple explanation will help them?
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LMNO

No.

Sometimes, I just like pointing out the fail in others.

I'm kind of an asshole that way.

That One Guy

People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

fast speed

please read it all, as there are shameless edittings!

Once upon a time, two Serious Minded people were in their local pub, having a few pints, and talking about the nature of Universe.

Bill pointed out that most of what we consider ,Äúmatter,Äù is made up of empty space.  ,ÄúThe distance between a nucleus, its electrons, and the nearest adjacent atom is comparatively large; why, that barstool over there shouldn't even be considered a solid!,Äù

Joe responded, ,Äúbut wait,Ķ As far as we can actually prove, that barstool might simply be a hallucination, for we're not actually seeing the barstool, we're processing electric signals in our heads generated by our optic nerves.  And all they are doing is claiming certain wavelengths of light have bounced off an object.  But what if the nerves are misfiring, which we all know happen quite often?  So, we can,Äôt really say whether or not the barstool even exists!,Äù

The barstool then proceeded to pick up itself and pummel both Bill and Joe squarely about the head and torso, because they were so obviously pretentious assholes who deserved a beatdown.

Thus, they were enlightened.

hi im new, and the respectless.

LMNO

Interesting approach.

Oh, and hi.

fast speed

yeah i figured, not only is it real, its really pissed of. because, you know, bad manners telling someone they dont exist and such. and sapient, also... apparently.

what i really wanted at first was to make the story about a barstool having a loud discussion with itself or perhaps just whining about wether or not it existed. and then have a man come by and beat himself up with the barstool, or perhaps have the barstool pick itself up and beat itself about. either way... i didnt cus it would stray to far from the point. it would've been more fun though.

LMNO

Could make an interesting story, though.

fast speed

BY JOHNNY I'LL DO IT!!!

tomorrow

maybe

Cain

Heh, you're one of us alright.  LMNO has been meaning to finish LMNO-PI tomorrow for years, and I haven't even started some of my stuff.

Welcome, btw.

fast speed

but i really will do it tomorrow... heh

greetings

Discord

Thats the problem, really doing things tomorow  :lulz:

Triple Zero

i heard tomorrow basically consists of 99% empty space anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.