News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

The Barstool Experiment

Started by LHX, June 13, 2006, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kusa

I still can't see why those poor guys had to be beaten with a barstool.
This is a statement.

LMNO

srsly?

Ok, I'll break the Barstool Experiment down for you in the most basic possible terms.

The moral of the story is: Don't get caught up in your rhetoric and flights of intellectual fantasy so much that you forget about what's going on around you.

Cain

Or we'll beat the crap out of you.

LMNO

Cramulus

Big tough guys have the intellectual market cornered.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kusa

Quote from: LMNO on December 19, 2007, 01:20:28 PM
srsly?

Ok, I'll break the Barstool Experiment down for you in the most basic possible terms.

The moral of the story is: Don't get caught up in your rhetoric and flights of intellectual fantasy so much that you forget about what's going on around you.

I'm aware of the downsides in getting stuck in semantics. I meant that the "punchline" in the end of the story made me feel like i've just talked to someone trying to shrug off their train of tought with some butch joke that contour ther distance to thinking, cause thinkers are gay and get beat up. :P  It's a tiger story, and i just felt sympaty for the poor philosophers.

But perhaps this is a more butch version of "the hand that points to the moon" story.
Exept that the barstool guy kept his previous concepts of his reality tunnel, and the philosophers who were trying to broaden their perception got punished.

It is easy to pick the winning side when the narrative favours it, but if we can see this barstool experiment in an unbiased perspective, it resemble many of the problems we have today.
YOU BIG POL POT! :O :D BEAT THE INTELLECTUALS!
This is a statement.

Kusa

I just love being a dick :(
This is a statement.

LMNO

I don't see how smacking some self-important prick with a barstool is any different than a Zen Master whacking a n00b with his staff.

Cain

AFK

true.  pwns the hell out of some burning sage
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Kusa

Quote from: LMNO on December 20, 2007, 12:59:46 PM
I don't see how smacking some self-important prick with a barstool is any different than a Zen Master whacking a n00b with his staff.

I think the motives might differ but i would have to ask the barstool guy, besides, what's wrong with being pretentious?
This is a statement.

LMNO

Quote from: Kusa on December 20, 2007, 08:30:10 PM

I think the motives might differ but i would have to ask the barstool guy, besides, what's wrong with being pretentious?

Well, for starters it encourages people to smack you with a barstool.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The noob is seeking Enlightenment. The noob has approached the Master and asked to be enlightened. The noob has been initiated into a system through which he will be taught a particular set of memes, models and metaphors and the Master has particular tools available to teach this to the noob, including a staff to the head.

The Self-Important Philosopher believes that he is enlightened. He has asked the Barstool Wielder for nothing (but has imposed his 'enlightenment'), he hasn't been initiated into the system used by the barstool wielder, thus the whack to the head will likely do nothing more than give him a lump and a potential lawsuit.

Both individuals may need the Boot To The Head (or stick or barstool) but the reasons and outcomes seem wildly different to me.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson