News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

My Hate - Part 1 - Homelessness

Started by Junkenstein, November 07, 2013, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 08, 2013, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 06:32:49 AM
You are so so so so right here that it hurts. It hurts that you are right because these things are true, and these things are horrible and they should not be true. But they ARE.

People forget what a terrible cycle homelessness is. If people weren't mentally ill before they became homeless, they will have issues after being homeless, and the longer they are homeless, the worse those problems will be. Insecurity is devastating for the human psyche. Hopelessness and despair go hand-in-hand with homelessness, as does terrible fear. In the US we have 28 vacant foreclosed homes for every homeless individual.

28 vacant houses. Per homeless person.

A nation that allows its citizens to go homeless or starve or die from preventable or curable diseases because they lack money is not a real nation at all. It's a relic, a remnant from a primitive and barbaric era. It is a nation that isn't ready to join the future.

It's a nation that is already dead, but doesn't know it yet.

Permission to quote with attribution, and if yes, which name/SN?

Yes; The Right Reverend Nigel.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

The homeless here are almost exclusively native alaskans, kids, or both.

This gets written off as alcohol abuse, which certainly is a large part of it. Much of the homeless in Anchorage are not from here, they're often cast out of their communities and Anchorage is the least shitty place in Alaska to get drunk out in the cold.

People, generally, look at these people as something near subhuman, for sure. The bus I take in and out of my neighborhood has a reputation for being filled with scary people, but they're mostly too stunned by the brutality of their own lives in a wholly unforgiving environment.

Many freeze to death, many more than anyone reports.

There are now a few places, built out of shut down hotels, that provide space, even if you're drunk. This being preferrable to the whole frozen humans problem. And yet, these places are met with such hosility, this one business owner, a bondsman, put up who knows hoe many R&R and  Monarch bottles along his fence (near the jail and the only male shelter) saying STOP ENABLING.

As though the moral and physical prowess required to withstand the savage power of alcohol, with practically zero genetic experience doing so takes preferrence to saving lives.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 10:42:36 PM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 08, 2013, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 06:32:49 AM
You are so so so so right here that it hurts. It hurts that you are right because these things are true, and these things are horrible and they should not be true. But they ARE.

People forget what a terrible cycle homelessness is. If people weren't mentally ill before they became homeless, they will have issues after being homeless, and the longer they are homeless, the worse those problems will be. Insecurity is devastating for the human psyche. Hopelessness and despair go hand-in-hand with homelessness, as does terrible fear. In the US we have 28 vacant foreclosed homes for every homeless individual.

28 vacant houses. Per homeless person.

A nation that allows its citizens to go homeless or starve or die from preventable or curable diseases because they lack money is not a real nation at all. It's a relic, a remnant from a primitive and barbaric era. It is a nation that isn't ready to join the future.

It's a nation that is already dead, but doesn't know it yet.

Permission to quote with attribution, and if yes, which name/SN?

Yes; The Right Reverend Nigel.

Thank you!
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 08, 2013, 07:30:44 PM
Yeah, that's Big Wordy with a couple of tweaks I think. QG?

If I get permission to rework it a little and shoehorn in Nigel's "not a nation" comment, I think it'd be perfect. Would you both be okay with that? Attribution and draft approval, naturally.

Junkenstein

I was thinking more Nigel's bit than mine, but if you think any of mine is useable, feel free.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.