News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

30 Essential free programs

Started by Cain, December 03, 2006, 04:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starship, take me

Extraction of Agent Starship in progress...

Have the Orbital Platforms on Standby, please

Thurnez Isa

ive been looking for some free dvd burning software
something that just reliable
nothing fancy
for some reason the software that came with my burner doesnt like working all the time
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

l0c0dantes

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdcdburning.shtml

They arent open, I dont think.

Jetico had a pretty good firewall to. from what I rember. Light
AVG and clamAV, I have heard nothing bad about thoes 2 free anti virus's

Jasper

Oh shi-

Awesome Cain.  I'm dl-ing this now now now, putting it to disc for when I get home.  +683 Thankyous.

LHX

bump because this resource is FTW
neat hell

rygD

You heathen microsoft worshipping windows slaves.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Jasper

im browsin ur thred

runnin ubuntu

rygD

running ubuntu (with both gnome and kde...tried beryl and compiz but was having issues.  I do suggest them for people into eye candy who want to trump the pompous vista users.  Then tell those vista bitches that the flippy window thing is stolen from project looking glass) on my personal computer as I got pissed at gentoo.  Trying to figure out how to get sabayon, and haiku on my hd and be able to get grub to see them all, but rarely have time to fuck with it. always working.

I am also trying to figure out the best solution to playing windows based games without installing windows

Jasper

I'm about to try Wine, which is some sort of windows layer compatibility thing, I'll tell you how it goes.

Also, how did beryl work out?

rygD

I have used Wine on other distro's, but not enough to get a good feel for it, plus it has changed, so good luck with that.

Beryl is the shit, but I kept having issues while trying to install it.  That is how I ended up finding sabayon: "You mean it is a live cd that is based on gentoo and has Beryl" so I got it.

Give that a shot to see if the eye candy suits you.  The window effects are great, the cube is fun, never got water stuff working.  If you are going to try it on Ubuntu you either need to be better skilled than I am, or seek assistance who knows it well.  I had to get help on irc.

Jasper

Innnnteresting.

Sounds like a delightful puzzle game.

Triple Zero

some free softwares i use personally:

The Font Thing - for the people on this board who like messing around with type. font manager, multi font preview thingy. small and nice.

Free Download Manager - for downloading multiple files from webpages. i use it mostly in combination with HFS below

HTTP File Server - very simple file transfer tool. basically i starts a webserver on your computar, which anybody can surf to at http://12.34.56.78 (your IP), you can drag and drop any files or directories you want to share in that you like, showing them like a sort of "open directory", and as you do so it will copy the URL to your clipboard so you can immediately paste them over MSN or whatever. of course it also supports passwording the links (which i would recommend :) ). might have some issues with port forwarding if you're behind a router. best thing about this tool is that it runs right out of the box.

uTorrent - very lightweight bitTorrent client. small, low memory usage, starts up quickly, etc. (esp if you're using the java-based Azureus, might be worth considering this one instead)

Filezilla - FTP, SFTP, SSH, SCP file transfer tool. for uploading things to webpages etc.

Exact Audio Copy - for recording audio CDs to .wav with very good error correction/quality. can also automatically convert to MP3 or OGG, if you provide the tools for it.

LAME mp3 encoder and OggdropXD ogg encoder - Oggdrop has a rotating fish as icon while encoding your .wav files. this is awesome. [also be sure to set the quality for oggdrop to something like 6 or 7]

CDisplay Comic Reader - for reading scanned comics, usually distributed in .CBZ (ZIP) format. can read sequences of JPG files, for reading sequentially, does auto contrast and page-yellowing adjustment, background colour, sharpening etc. [still doesn't beat real paper, but hey]

Irfanview - for viewing images in all formats and doing basic conversion and/or adjustment. i use it mostly because it loads very quickly.

PSPad - text editor with syntax highlighting, FTP-remote editing and lots of handy programming options and tools, fully customizable. i actually prefer it to the commercial tool-of-choice, UltraEdit.

metapad - another text editor. smaller simpler and more lightweight, i use it as a replacement for notepad. it has solid useful basic text editing functions (as opposed to notepad which has basically none), and, my favourite feature is that it uses a very pretty purple variant of the notepad icon, which just looks good in my quicklaunch toolbar.

Password Reveal - one of those lifesaver programs. you have these programs (like FTP utilities or whatever) that have password fields in which the password is only shown as *****, but are still saved in the program somewhere. now of course after a while you forgot what ***** exactly was, and at a certain moment you need the password again (say, you're gonna upgrade to another version of your utility). this is where you use Password Reveal, as it can reveal for you what is behind the *****.

Windirstat - if you wonder where your harddisk space went, this is how you find it, whether it's in a few big files or in billions of small ones. it uses a "treemap" to very intuitively represent the diskspace usage on your harddisk(s). musthave cleanup tool, for me.

i got a lot of other free tools, but they're mostly power user web development/analysis stuff, that i'm afraid most of you wouldn't know what to do with anyway. they are:
privoxy, ethereal, intellitamper, x-win32, tightVNC, Tor, Proxomitron, Icecast2 (with oddcast winamp plugin), kX project audiodriver, Edxor, Cygwin, DOSbox, burpproxy. they're all good in what they do :) just google them.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Intellitamper is pretty swote, I agree.

rygD

l0c0dantes

yay for linux!

1) Ubuntu forums are some of the best I have ever used, same goes with the IRC
2)gentoo is a bitch, and I couldnt figgure out
3) running wine is very easy
4)for windows games without using windows, get cedega. Id suggest bootlegging, but you only really need to buy one 3 month subscription