News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Which ones have you read?

Pratchett: Small Gods, Feet of Clay, one of the Moist von Lipwig books.
Gaiman: American Gods, one of his short story anthologies, or Ananzi Boys.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Diogenes

You could also try Good Omens which was written by them both!

Eater of Clowns

I'll second Feet of Clay and the Moist von Lipwig books (but especially Going Postal).  Really the wonderful thing about Pratchett is that you can't go wrong.

For Neil Gaiman, it's a short read but The Graveyard Book is very good, and of course the standards of Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, and American Gods.

Just finished reading No Country for Old Men.  If The Road and Blood Meridian hadn't convinced me, I love Cormac McCarthy.  The movie for this one is probably the most faithful adaptation I've seen.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Diogenes on April 23, 2011, 06:53:57 PM
You could also try Good Omens which was written by them both!

That was a good one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Igor

I think they're making a TV series of it.
With Terry Jones writing/directing? I forget.
Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Faust

I'm reading pale fire by Nabukov. Cool idea for a book and a really good use of unreliable narrator, He's always been good at that though, at least he was in Lolita.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

dontblameyoko

"All the Girls Love Bobby Kennedy" (play) by Kristen Palmer
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Lord Cataplanga

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Wich reminds me I should get around to reading Tokyo Blues sometime soon.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Life, Letters and Epicurian Philospohy of Ninon L'Enclos. She's a trip.  :D
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Jasper

It's taken me half a decade to bother with it, but I've almost finished reading all of the Discworld novels.  All that remains is a few chapters of The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

Next stop: Get around to all those cognitive neuroscience books I keep buying on impulse.

Eater of Clowns

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon

QuoteAnd then we hit the Checkpoint, as Cleveland called it-the bane of his career as one who always tried to push things; and at that inevitable one-way Checkpoint of Too Much Fun, our papers were found in order and we crossed into the invisible country of Bad Luck.  Teddy's mother - whoops, Teddy was only fifteen years old, after all - came looking for her son and found Mr. Genteel, Evil Incarnate, her unretarded, badly coiffed boy, and myself lying on the floor of the Bellwethers' salon, surrounded by empty green cans of Rolling Rock and four exhausted dogs, two of which were still linked in the midst of a painful-looking dance of extraction.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

I'm reading the spy who came in from the cold. It's supposedly one of the best written spy novels, the writing is very basic so far but there is a good sense of dry humor throughout so it doesn't feel bland to read.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Freeky

I'm rereading The Dark Tower Sersise. I wish I was reading the inside of my eyelids though, I'm all loopy and tired.`

Prince Glittersnatch III

Im reading, the original Power of Positive Thinking.

For some reason I keep spending money pirating(Kindle Bitches) all sorts of books on media, philosophy, biology ect. yet I put all those off in favor of a musty old self help paperback I found in my grandmas attic.

Thats ADD for you.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

LMNO

Finished The Hunger Games Trilogy.

Darker and Edgier, indeed.  A lot of good themes, plus a shitload of Black and Gray Morality.