News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Kill the Dead by Richard Kadry. Absolutely fucking hilarious.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cramulus

Reading The Big Book of Pain, which Richter recommended to me. It's excellent nightmare fuel. Seriously. Disturbing as hell.

What really sticks out about it, in my mind: (repost warning)

one of the points they repeatedly make in the book is that in the history of public executions, it's often not the case that the leaders were these twisted sadistic fucks... it's that the CROWDS demanded the worst possible punishments for lawbreakers.

If a magistrate was seen as being too light on crime, it was very possible for the unruly mob to turn on him. The pillory, the breaking wheel, the ducking stool ... these weren't purely a tool of fear to keep the commoners from rising up. They were used to slake the public's demands for torture and death.

So having read that, I get quite a chill watching all these people cheering for the death penalty...

Also reading a book about ARGs which is too hung up on defining "what is a game" and other academic masturbation to say anything of meaning.

Hey jason --
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on September 10, 2011, 07:19:19 AM
Also read The Stranger by Camus. I'm not ready to discuss it yet.  :|

so are you ready yet? :P what did you think?

Faust

I read warren ellis's SVK there, its a indie thing and comes with a weird blacklight that adds stuff into each page. I'd call it gimmicky but the story is genuinely good enough that it creates a good sense of immersion in the story and builds on it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Luna

Shit.

I have this tradition, see...  When there's a new book in a series coming out, I re-read the series.  (I read stupid fast, so, for most new novels coming out, this is doable.) 

There's a new Discworld novel coming out.  This one would be...  Book...   39...

:horrormirth:

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jasper

Luckily I have reread almost all of them in the last year.  My brain has a big appetite for absurd British humor, I guess.

Cramulus

that's crazy talk

I know I'm missing out on lots of great literature, but I just plain do not have the patience to wade through that much text.

A few years ago some friends finally convinced me to read the first book of Wheel of Time. When I finished it, I felt frustrated... the author didn't resolve any of the conflicts he put on the table. Everything was left hanging.

My friend said, "Ah yeah, you've gotta read another 8000 pages before they even START to wrap any of that shit up."

fuck that noise! I don't even like fantasy. A thousand pages is pushing it, if I knew the whole series was gonna be like Lost (ie, a tease with an extremely delayed payoff), I never would have picked it up to begin with!

/rant

Cain

I would say the only reason to read that series is for the incredible breath of fresh air Brandon Sanderson brings to the series after 500,000,000 interminable pages about insanely aggressive women and intricately detailed life stories of minor characters who then die five minutes later.

Gotta give the dude props - he's readable.  Enjoyable, even.  Robert Jordan had mastered some kind of Epic Boredom - a grand, wordy and ultimately mind-numbing style of writing that makes you want to beat yourself to death with the book in question (a very real possibility, given how wordy such authors can be).

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on September 21, 2011, 09:59:12 PM
Robert Jordan had mastered some kind of Epic Boredom - a grand, wordy and ultimately mind-numbing style of writing that makes you want to beat yourself to death with the book in question (a very real possibility, given how wordy such authors can be).

fucking troof

Most of Eye of the World is like the beginning of Fellowship - nothing happens except a bunch of boring characters prancing around in circles. It took me four tries before I got to anything cool happening. I'm not the kind of guy who needs an instant payoff, but if you read 100 pages and nothing interesting happens, then an editor needs to take a machete to the manuscript. Are there any redeeming female characters in that series? The ones in Eye of the World were all annoying as fuck. I have a hard time sympathizing with anybody whose only dialog is scowling and shrewish screeching noises.

Cain

All of Jordan's female characters are like that.  Not just in the series - in everything he ever wrote, I am reliably informed.

And there was more than just a bit of LOTR around the start of the book, wasn't there?  In some ways, Sanderson was an inspired choice for his replacement, as Sanderson can write good female characters and writes less...orthodox fantasy series.  And he doesn't have a stick up his arse about what a genius writer he is, like Jordan was (reputed) to.

Disco Pickle

Just finished re-reading Swan Song, because I remember it being a pretty decent post apocalyptic horror story from my youth.

I really did forget the overtly christian undertones to the entire thing, which soured me on it forever.

But hell, it was fantasy fiction and it was nice to revisit a book I did really like when I was but a wee lad.

Starting Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" tomorrow to fill my fiction spot. 

Cain, you are recommending too many god damned books for me to keep up in my non-fiction requirements.

But keep it up sir.  Keep it up. 

It just means I am falling behind.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Luna

Okay, break from EVERYTHING.

Just got my hands on a copy of the original Harlan Ellison script of the City on the Edge of Forever.  Including the forwards and afterwords with Ellison discussing how Roddenberry and Shatner screwed him over.  Had a copy of this, ages ago, and I think an old boyfriend swiped it.   :argh!:

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jasper

Rereading Phantoms In The Brain because it is the best popular cog-neuroscience book I've ever read or heard of.

I want to meet someone with Cotard's Syndrome. 

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

MSPA Problem Sleuth, an extremely surreal film-noir and videogame themed webcomic where objects belligerently change into other objects, windows and doors only lead outside when they are plugged in, the mob kingpin's only weaknesses are romance novels and diabetes, and women's underwear can change your height.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started reading "Intimacy & Desire".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna