News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Xooxe on October 21, 2011, 03:29:52 AM
WAIT WHY IS THIS THREAD UNOFFICIAL? WHERE ARE THE CORRECT CHANNELS?

The proper channels require an order, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Xooxe on October 21, 2011, 03:29:52 AM
WAIT WHY IS THIS THREAD UNOFFICIAL? WHERE ARE THE CORRECT CHANNELS?

It's there in LC. All four pages or so of it. I think it says something about us as a community.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

kingyak

About halfway through Supergods by Grant Morrison. Fucking excellent.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Faust

Just finished every issue of hell blazer to date. The series never dips in quality and it has been running for 31 years. Definitely recommend this to anyone who found the character in swamp thing interesting.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just started the Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. It's pretty compelling so far.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

I picked up House of Leaves.

It's been a while since a book captured my interest to this degree.  I knew from the first page that this would be one I'd fall in love with, but it wasn't until this morning that I actually read a bit of it.  And I did nothing else but sit with this big beautiful book in the sun and nothing else mattered; I could piece together a quick lunch, the dishes could be done later.  This moment, with this book, is perfect and fleeting and reminded me so much of being a kid, the wonder books could bring.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 07, 2011, 11:31:24 PM

It's been a while since a book captured my interest to this degree.  I knew from the first page that this would be one I'd fall in love with, but it wasn't until this morning that I actually read a bit of it.  And I did nothing else but sit with this big beautiful book in the sun and nothing else mattered; I could piece together a quick lunch, the dishes could be done later.  This moment, with this book, is perfect and fleeting and reminded me so much of being a kid, the wonder books could bring.

I'd like to talk to you about this after your done, I wont say anything now because you are clearly enjoying it but I had a few things nag me about that book.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on November 07, 2011, 11:44:42 PM

I'd like to talk to you about this after your done, I wont say anything now because you are clearly enjoying it but I had a few things nag me about that book.

Hah, I'm only 61 pages into it and I think I'll be taking this one slowly.  I have five or six hundred pages to find things that nag me.  Let's see if I can remember this conversation in a few weeks and I'll pick your brain.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on November 07, 2011, 11:44:42 PM

I'd like to discuss it as well, once you're done with it.

Freeky

I just finished reading 1-6 of Preacher.

First I was like  :eek: :D and then I  :eek: :x :cry: and then  :D and then  :eek: :cry:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 09, 2011, 07:29:54 PM

First I was like  :eek: :D and then I  :eek: :x :cry: and then  :D and then  :eek: :cry: .  

The whole thing with Cassidy and Jesse's GF kind of ruined it for me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 09, 2011, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on November 09, 2011, 07:29:54 PM

First I was like  :eek: :D and then I  :eek: :x :cry: and then  :D and then  :eek: :cry: .  

The whole thing with Cassidy and Jesse's GF kind of ruined it for me.

I think that that was more a combination of God fucking with Jesse and the voodoo guy trying to curse Cassidy, also a "protagonist vs. stabbed in the back" sort of plotline.  And it isn't like Tulip was into it, or at least not that I interpreted.

Freeky

But yeah, that kind of devastated me in a way that is hard to describe.

Eater of Clowns

Cassidy with Jesse's GF, and Cassidy's relationships with women in general, were one of the biggest fridge brilliance moments I had throughout that series.

Spoilers ahoy for those who intend to read Preacher.

He's a departure from the typical vampire, highlighted by his interaction with that other vampire in New Orleans.  But he still sucks the life out of people.  What he did to his exes, what he did to Jesse's GF, it's vampirism without the blood.  When I realized that, I could move past it.

What bothered me the most about the series was just the loads and loads of author tract.  Just pages and pages of what was clearly Ennis speaking instead of his characters.  Still an entertaining series, though.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

EK WAFFLR

Just finished Good Omens.

Thought I'd either re-read Prime Chaos by Phil Hine, or Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]